52 F2 crashbox transmission removal - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

52 F2 crashbox transmission removal

Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM
F2revival
New User
F2revival is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 52 F2 crashbox transmission removal

Hello all,
I am brand new to the site (with a login) however have turned here for tons of advice while on the journey of getting a 52 f-2 back on the road!! Quick question if anyone has done it..
I have an 8BA flathead V8 in my pickup that I installed (replacing a very worn broke down and stuck original). the past few months I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as the truck moved under its own power and I finally got new road worthy tires on it. However when I put the new tires on things got busy on the farm and I had to park the truck for a few weeks. During that time it seems like my clutch became stuck to the fly wheel. clutch will not disengage. I checked linkage and the fingers through the inspection plate. Everything seems to check out. it is very odd to me that it would get stuck in that short amount of time??? tried 'popping' it lose with pretty much every trick I could find. even hooked up to a skid steer to jolt it loose. nothing has worked.

First off has anyone had this issue in such a short amount of time??
Second off I believe I need to pull the transmission to get to the clutch to inspect... is that fairly easy to pull up through the hole in the floor board of cab with the engine blocked up? (Do not want to pull motor as I have installed new everything including 12v wiring and radiator to name a few)

Thanks for any advice or ideas!!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE. A stuck clutch is not uncommon and it does not take a long time, just some temperature swings and high humidity. There should be no need to remove the transmission. Search for "How to free a stuck clutch" and you should get lots of results. Filter the results of your search as you will find some procedures quite bazaar. Good luck.
Edit: The transmission will come out the top or bottom.
Edit 2: Do an internet search, lots of information and I would swag you will get some hits from FTE.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:56 AM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Welcome! I think with only one post on the forum, you can't search using the forum Search or Advanced Search functions, but Google will work.

Since you already have the floor cover off and the inspection cover open, try locking the clutch pedal down (stick between seat and pedal), and using a long screwdriver to pry the disc back from the flywheel (or the pressure plate, whichever it's stuck to). Be careful not to mess up the friction material.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:03 PM
F2revival
New User
Thanks for the response! I did search for breaking it loose and have tried all of those things.. this is one stuck booger. I do not see signs of mice however would not be surprised if they were involved. And I have had the front dust cover off (bottom of bell housing that the starter sits in) and dont think I can access anything but the motor side of the fly wheel. -correct me if I am wrong on that! At this point I have removed the drive shaft thinking that my only option is to pull the tranny out! Will update if I do any work on it! Thanks again!!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
The inspection cover is on the top of the bellhousing. I assumed you had the tunnel cover off the floor, apparently not? There is a small sheet metal window held on by two screws. Much easier if you remove the seat, which is only 4 or 6 bolts.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 PM
F2revival
New User
Yes I do have that all open! Sorry for the misunderstanding! I'll take a look at it but didnt think I could get a screw driver through that inspection hole to try to pry it...

Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
If you're on the farm, you should have safe places to drive the truck with the clutch held down while periodically slamming on the brakes. Another easy way to break it loose is to jack one wheel up, have it running in gear with the clutch depressed and have someone push it off the jack. Keep all children, spectators and animals out of the way. Remember to turn the key off if things get in the way or you can not go where you want to go safely. The above are just one old man's method of freeing a stuck clutch.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
... Keep all children, spectators and animals out of the way. ...... The above are just one old man's method of freeing a stuck clutch.
Ray that might work well and is great to visualize. Chickens running and flapping their wings, farmhands jumping over the fences like rodeo clowns pursued by the bull....beer getting spilled...

Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 PM
F2revival
New User
Ha I have tried all that and to no avail! Even bolted a skid steer to the truck to jerk back and forth even that wouldn't do it!
UPDATE: I blocked the motor and pulled the transmission out today and the clutch disc was obviously stuck to the flywheel. Signs of rust but not sure why the earlier mentioned jerking or hot rodding around the farm did not break it loose. Everything seems to be in good shape minus the clutch disc itself! I will replace that and re assemble! Anything else I should check or replace while I'm here? Thanks again!!

Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
Wow, you work quickly! Check the release bearing and pilot bushing. Both are cheap and easy to replace with the clutch apart.
The release bearing is a light press fit onto the hub, taps off and on. SKF bearing #N1087, BIN (Bearing Industry Number) 2065 (to cross-reference)
You can use a bronze bushing for the pilot bearing (as was stock), Ford part number B-7600-A, or a ball bearing replacement, NATIONAL Part # 203S (very common, sold at most auto parts stores)

Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM
F2revival
New User
Great! Thanks again for everything guys! I look forward to being a part of this great friendly and awesome community! Here is a picture of the truck I plan to get back on the road and be a daily to the farm and town. A few upgrades things but original drive train ( for now) and dont plan on touch body at all. Love the patina.

The day I brought her home!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
Great looking truck. Thanks for the picture and the report.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey F2,
Keep us updated on what you find. Good luck up there in
Nebraska! So... where did you find your truck?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM
F2revival
New User
Should be getting the clutch disc in today and on the pickup this evening or tomorrow!
Then it is on to the next thing to be road ready.. Not sure what that is yet... a lot of stuff to do for sure.
Ben, I found it actually a mile from the farm I grew up on... a family friend had it and wanted to sell it to someone to get on the road again. so this truck is no stranger to the region it will be running in once again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.