"Remove for larger size spare tire..." Done... Now what? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

"Remove for larger size spare tire..." Done... Now what?

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Remove for larger size spare tire..." Done... Now what?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:52 PM
01FordEx
Senior User
01FordEx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Camo I used your insight from previous posts when I went to 37's, thank you. I didn't have much luck trying to put a "dent" in the tire. Pulled the valve core and used various items with a ratchet strap to create the "dent". Didn't work for me on a brand new Toyo MT. I got it in and based on pics alone I might have gotten mine "deeper" in the factory spot but I certainly could be wrong on that. Pulling the trim obviously game me more space and that could be it for sure. No matter though, for the OP anything smaller than a 37" should be easy to fit....thanks again Camo!!!

Old 10-11-2018, 11:55 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Yours looks good with the trim pulled. I considered that when I first got the 37 in mine but never got around to it. Now that I see how square yours sits I may revisit the project when I try and figure out how to get my new 40’s in there.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:07 AM
01FordEx
Senior User
01FordEx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Damn you Camo and your 40's I am already trying to figure out how to shove 40's under the Ex, the 37's are nice but these rigs are HUGE and 37's are awesome but maybe not big enough ( I don't need another rig on 40" tires but they make such a difference). You need to update all of us on your "rebuild".....

Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
I have the tires already and recently lowered lowered my Ex 2” but still collecting the rest of the parts for the next phase.... gonna be sick. Probably be spring before I start.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM
RPhil
Senior User
RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good to know that when I jump to 37's, I will still be able to stuff them in.

Currently have 285/75R17 (~34's) and I have no problem with it in the stock location at full pressure. I just used a carabiner to get a little extra length on the center bolt. I don't currently have my 3rd row installed, but it fit ok when it used to be there. It did touch the seat, but it wasn't stuffed into it too drastically.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Pele
Elder User
Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.
I may just pull the trim and stuff it in there. I like to keep it aired up so that I don't have to wait for the compressor to fill the tire to 80 PSI.

I also like the option of using my 3rd row.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM
RPhil
Senior User
RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's a few pics to get an idea of my 285/75R17

Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
I may just pull the trim and stuff it in there. I like to keep it aired up so that I don't have to wait for the compressor to fill the tire to 80 PSI.

I also like the option of using my 3rd row.
1. 80psi is way over inflated for a 275/65/20 to support the full GAWR of the Ex
your Ex has a rear GAWR of 5250 lbs. at 55 psi those tires support 2800 lbs each or 5600 lbs, 80psi would support 3750 each or 7500 lbs ..... a good 25% more then your Ex can carry. You will get a better ride quality, better traction and longer tire life if you run the correct pressure of 55 psi

2. Even a crappy little 12v compressor can fill that tire quicker then you can remove the flat.
Just pull the spare and let it air up while you are removing the flat.

3. My 3rd row seat fits with 37”s

load and inflation table here
https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125...s_20170203.pdf

Old 10-12-2018, 11:02 AM
DavenTn
Elder User
DavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to behold
https://www.michelinman.com/img/stor...Ton_Trucks.pdf

I inflate my tires so the temperature is under 125*

I'm using using Michelin's 275x65R-20 LRE = 65PSI for the rear and when I tow I go to 75PSI. I keep the front tires 60PSI all the time.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DavenTn View Post
https://www.michelinman.com/img/stor...Ton_Trucks.pdf

I inflate my tires so the temperature is under 125*

I'm using using Michelin's 275x65R-20 LRE = 65PSI for the rear and when I tow I go to 75PSI. I keep the front tires 60PSI all the time.
when I am traveling I use a IR heat gun and check tires, brakes and diff at every stop.

But just like people think higher psi is good when that isnít always the case lower temps are not ideal either. Tires like brakes have an ideal operating tempature where they work best. That is why if you watch racing great care is taken to get tires and brakes up to operating temp before racing speeds can be obtained.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:24 PM
DavenTn
Elder User
DavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to beholdDavenTn is a splendid one to behold
Road worthy vehicles must operate at a much wider temperature band than racing tires. UTQG standards are all we have for temperature ratings. Those tests are non destructive tests at rated speed and max pressure. Tire companies perform their own testing, not the government. I am more comfortable running tires at or near max pressure and adjusting downward than trying to match axle rating, load, temperature and conditions.

Tire companies say run them max psi, car companies do not.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DavenTn View Post
Tire companies say run them max psi, car companies do not.
I have done tire testing and product development for several of the major tire manufactures for years working with a dozen diffrent engineers and never have any of them suggested running at max psi.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:28 PM
DavenTn
Elder User
You did see the Michelin temperature illustrations demonstrating @ 80 psi... right?

Testing is done at max PSI for UTQG. There is no harm running tires at max psi... however there can be harm running them at "speed" too low. Firestone and Ford went round and round over this.... you may recall.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
UTQG is to establish a basline for comparison against a controlled standard and in no way indicates a tires optimum psi for handeling, braking, traction or ride quality.

Plenty of harm can come from running to low of a psi, plenty of performance will be lost from running to much psi, getting the correct psi is what you want and the best starting point for that is to use the load and inflation tables. If that is to troublesome for you then sure, you are better of loosing performance rather then risking damage.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:34 AM
DavenTn
Elder User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
UTQG is to establish a basline for comparison against a controlled standard and in no way indicates a tires optimum psi for handeling, braking, traction or ride quality.

Plenty of harm can come from running to low of a psi, plenty of performance will be lost from running to much psi, getting the correct psi is what you want and the best starting point for that is to use the load and inflation tables. If that is to troublesome for you then sure, you are better of loosing performance rather then risking damage.
and to your point.... performance is a wide ambiguous term in most situations. However... since most light duty trucks are designed as "mules" and excessive temperature is the enemy, in virtually all applications, that's what I go by and always will. It is ,IMO the reality red line benchmark of "performance".

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.