Repairing replacing rocker panel 53 f100 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Repairing replacing rocker panel 53 f100

Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 PM
kc81c
New User
kc81c is starting off with a positive reputation.
Repairing replacing rocker panel 53 f100

I'm new here but it looks like there is a lot of info I can find useful. I did a search but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. I have a 1953 F100 I'm working on. I've got a code 504 frame, suspension, engine, transmission, etc all done and ready to go. Now i'm on to the body. My cab is in pretty good shape but the rocker panels and front cab mounts are pretty bad along with the floor pan in that area and the common outer cowl piece. I got all my patch panels from LMC and was going to start working on the rocker panel but once I started it doesn't seem like the rockers are quite right. I looked at all the other panels and they should fit good. They don't seem to fit quite right there is an extra indentation at the front of the rocker panel that is about 3 inches from the front door hinge frame area. I took the picture with the center area were the cross brace welds in lined up. I'm not quite sure how this is supposed to work and I'm guessing someone has done this before because it looks like all the rocker panel repair pieces are stamped the same that I could find. Thank you for any help that you can give.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Your new rockers are designed for the 56 model which had a different support bracket than the 53-55's

Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
1953-56 Ford F-100 Rocker Flap Reinforcement

These are made to go between the rocker panel and door post, they fit terrible and have to be reworked, sliced diced and re-welded

At one time you could get both styles of rocker panels but they seem to be leaning just towards the 56 style because they still fit and do have a better reinforcement than the earlier models, if only they could stamp out a better reinforcement piece..

Old 10-10-2018, 06:12 PM
kc81c
New User
Thank you for the replies. It really put me at ease this is the first part of the bodywork I've really gotten into. I've got lots of experience with the mechanical side and done quite a bit of metal work and welding over the years but new to body work.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 PM
ZFLASH
Senior User
ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.
Sorry I don't mean to change the subject, I just picked up the code 504 kit. How do you like yours and was it complicated? Thanks in advance, L8R ZFLASH

Old 10-11-2018, 12:35 AM
kc81c
New User
No problem. The biggest thing I can say is that I probably have never worked with a company that had such great customer service. There have been a few minor hiccups and plenty of questions on my part that they always took care of quickly. I'm running their frame kit, battery box, exhaust, under floor master brake cylinder, fuel tank, rear shocks, brake lines and the extended fatman fab control arms I got from them. I started with a late 80s S10 and a 4x4 limited slip rear end. I've got a 350 sbc and 4L60 trans mounted. I'm using a 94 chevy 1500 serpentine pulley setup and did get the power steering mounted but the room is tight for that. I'm using hedman S10 sbc conversion headers and that looks like it should work good but its a bit tight on the drivers side and I might need to find a different way to route one of my brake lines. I did set the whole front end on earlier and it all lined up nicely. I need to get the cab back on though and see if I can slide the engine back another inch and that would help with my header clearance issues. The brake line kit is the one part I probably wouldn't get from them it didn't really help a lot. The lengths were close but I ended up cutting and flaring them to get it how I wanted. Also if you get a rear end with good brake lines on it that will help a lot to or order oem ones. The only other complaint I had is their nuts and thats more of a personal preference. I've done my fair share of work on semi truck frames and we always use what we call a frame nut its a flange head mechanical locking nut. The kit comes with regular nuts and star washers to act as a locking system which I'm sure would never cause a problem but I went to Fastenal and got frame nuts. I'm not running any drop as of right now but they have lots of options if you do that will bolt right in. Now if only the body work was as simple sorry if that got long.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM
ZFLASH
Senior User
ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the reply and thoroughness of the answer, hopefully we can get started on this soon. L8R ZFLASH

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.