Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 V-10 spark plug change.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
'05 V-10 spark plug change.

A while back I changed the original spark plugs out on my V-10 at 107,000 miles. This job has developed a bad rep over time that I don't think it really deserves, access, both up and into the engine bay (my EX is lifted 4" and rolling on 35"s, so kind of high) as well as to the rearmost plugs is the biggest challenge, not difficult, just less than comfortable. My son assisted with job and surprised me with how much he already knew as I explained each step, I guess he was listening all the other times he has helped me wrench! I have seen where other owners have gone to much farther lengths to gain access by removing lots of other stuff to get at the plugs, I did not touch my fuel rails and only removed the air inlet tubing and one other smaller hose, I did move a couple of wiring bundles around as needed but didn't unplug anything other than the COP connectors. We spent about two hours doing this job including taking the pictures below and discussing each step.
Denso is the OEM manufacturer for Motorcraft COPs and boots, so for about half the price you get the same excellent quality parts from Denso, I ordered these from Rockauto.com.
COPs = Denso #673-6000 (didn't need a COP but ordered two just to have spares on hand in case of a failure on the road).
Boots and springs = Denso #671-0001
Plugs = Motorcraft SP-479 (AGSF22WM) pregapped to .054" but I rechecked each one before installation.
Permatex = Dielectric grease.

I had a can of very good never-Seez in the garage.
Bostic Never-Seez pure nickel special.

And I ordered the Gearwrench #80546 5/8" swivel plug socket from Amazon. This socket really was a big help dealing with the rear plugs as they are under the cowl.
From my local Ace Hardware store I bought 10 O rings to seal the boots into the plug wells. (helps to keep moisture or water from causing a miss).

The factory plugs all came out with no drama, there had not been any misses but they had all opened up a good amount from wear over 107K miles.

While the plugs were out I used a hand-held small bore camera to have a look into the cylinders, nothing of any concern was seen, just a bit of carbon here and there.

The new plugs were checked for the proper .054" gap.

Then treated to a light coat of the Never-seez on their threads and tapered seats.

The factory torque spec for the improved 7 thread heads is only 17 ft/lbs, seems pretty un-tight to me..... So I initially set them all to 30 ft/lbs and then finished them up to 32/34 ft/lbs. Adding the lubrication of the Never-Seez to the equation does require about a 20% increase to the spec to equal the specified "dry" torque. The older (mid-year '03 and back) engines with the 4 thread heads are only specced to have the plugs at 11 ft/lbs,but many DIY owners have seen excellent results at 24/26 ft/lbs.

EDIT: Correction to the above, Bostik recommends a 25% REDUCTION in torque values when using Never-Seez. However, the point of over torquing the plugs is well supported to counter the known plug ejection issue on these modular motors. Using a never-seez type product on any steel hardware being threaded into aluminum is a good idea to prevent galling and corrosion.

On the new boots you can see a recess that looks like it could hold an O ring, so I added one O ring to each boot.

The new boots with the O ring in place and a light coat of the dielectric grease. Both ends of the spring inside the boot were also given a dab of the dielectric grease to ward off any corrosion there.

These boots should be changed out at every plug change, they are cheap and they live in a very harsh environment where they do break down and develop small cracks that can bleed the high voltage passing through them and cause a miss.

To keep things easily serviceable I like to use the Never-Seez wherever I can, so the COP hold down bolts got a good coat of it.

With the new plugs, springs and boots I did notice quicker starts and slightly better throttle response and pickup. The following week we towed the 11,300 lb TT up to Niagara Falls and back, that return trip netted the best towing MPG that I've seen yet at 9.5 MPG thanks in part to these new plugs I'm sure.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation

Stewart

Old 10-10-2018, 06:50 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Greenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to behold
Nice write up Tom! Niagara sounds like it was a fun trip!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM
1 Excursion camper
Posting Guru
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
Very good. Yes I have never had an issue. I use a 1/4 air ratchet to remove the 7mm coil bolts and a 3/8 air ratchet for the plugs. Takes me all of 20 minutes or so. Now the plugs on a 5.4 F150 of the same years is a PITA, and the 3 valve made that job worse. But on the SD and Xs it is easy. I did mine at 50k and again at 100k. I dont like to wait till the 100k Mark, as the coils are working harder when the gap gets larger!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:03 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Tom, could you fix the link in the tech folder? (V10)b, I think it’s missing a ‘]/url]’ .

Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Tom, could you fix the link in the tech folder? (V10)b, I think it’s missing a ‘]/url]’ .

Lol, no Sean I can't, my moderator super powers only work in the towing forums, not here at the EX home base. That old naked bacon fryer will have to fix the link. . I dropped him a note about it, thank you.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 AM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
I thought you needed to reduce torque on lubricated threads due to less friction.

Am I wrong about this?

Dont get me wrong I do torque my plugs to 24ish ft lbs and tested bad heads to over 50 ft lbs before threads gave way.

But I always assumed less friction meant you should lower torque, not raise it.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post
I thought you needed to reduce torque on lubricated threads due to less friction.

Am I wrong about this?

Dont get me wrong I do torque my plugs to 24ish ft lbs and tested bad heads to over 50 ft lbs before threads gave way.

You are correct, I was thinking backwards again there, thank you! Bostik recommends decreasing torque values by 25% when using Never-seez, I will edit the above to show that.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Red_Snow
Freshman User
Red_Snow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post

Am I wrong about this?

You are correct. Lubricated threads, in general, require approximately 20% less torque value to reach the same tension on the threaded member. But, this is also largely dependent on the lubrication and how much it modifies the coefficient of friction.

Something like Jet-Lube 550 is what we require on all torqued connections that aren't pressure containing which gives us our 20% lower torque for same clamping force on bolts and studs.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Lol, no Sean I can't, my moderator super powers only work in the towing forums, not here at the EX home base. That old naked bacon fryer will have to fix the link. . I dropped him a note about it, thank you.
Something is wrong with the matrix again, dangit. When I tried to add the link, the coding got fubar'd again and messed up the whole formatting of the post

I'm going to have to spend some time later figuring this out.

Stewart

Old 10-11-2018, 02:52 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
.... From my local Ace Hardware store I bought 10 O rings to seal the boots into the plug wells. (helps to keep moisture or water from causing a miss).
.... On the new boots you can see a recess that looks like it could hold an O ring, so I added one O ring to each boot. ....

That looks like a good idea.
What size O-rings did you use?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Something is wrong with the matrix again, dangit. When I tried to add the link, the coding got fubar'd again and messed up the whole formatting of the post

Stewart
I think its time to outsource, Ill have my Admin contact your Admin and well meet at Delaveaga to sort out.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:29 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by R&T Babich View Post
That looks like a good idea.
What size O-rings did you use?
Third pic from the top shows the card at the hardware store, 13/16" I.D., 15/16" O.D. 1/16" thick. They fit perfectly on my Denso boots, like they were made for each other.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86 View Post
Nice write up Tom! Niagara sounds like it was a fun trip!
Thanks Sergy!
Yes, Niagara Falls is a great place to visit, we have visited there several times, there is always something new to see up there and it's an easy walk to a foreign country!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Third pic from the top shows the card at the hardware store, 13/16" I.D., 15/16" O.D. 1/16" thick. They fit perfectly on my Denso boots, like they were made for each other.
Oops, how did I miss that?
Scanned right by it .
Should have known the info was there, everything else was well laid out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.