f350 no 4wheel hi - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

f350 no 4wheel hi

Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 PM
zeke37
Junior User
zeke37 is starting off with a positive reputation.
f350 no 4wheel hi

Hello loading trailer on wet grass today, had engaged 4 high before I got on the slick surface,and it felt like I was engaged. After I hooked up and tried to pull off I started slipping and noticed only the rear wheels were spinning. Once I got out I checked 4 low and that seemed fully engaged. Any advice is appreciated. Automatic on the fly system. New to this. All my previous vehicles were gear on the floor with manual hubs. Light comes on btw.
-Tim

ANSWERED MY QUESTION PER PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS IN THIS GROUP. CONVERTING TO MANUAL HUBS>

Old 10-11-2018, 01:17 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
It might be that the hubs were not locking correctly. You can turn then from auto to lock.
I find it's always good to give them a workout every now and then. I take it we are talking about
your 2004 F350?

Here is the diagnostics PDF for your year. Part of it you may need a scan tool that can read
the Ford codes. Most of the readers that the parts stores have won't read the Ford specific codes.
But if you have the ODB2 port ELM device and one of the smart phone or tablet apps you will
be able to read then.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
My bet is he didn't follow the instructions to get into 4 Low.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:57 PM
zeke37
Junior User
Your bet is wrong. How much were you betting?

Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
I was betting YOUR life ! LOL ,.... If the 4X4 light didn't show on the instrument panel, you weren't in 4 Low.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM
zeke37
Junior User
It did show up. I never said it didnít. It sounds like a reading comprehension issue on your end. I can read a manual.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 PM
zeke37
Junior User
Thanks for the info, RH hub is frozen and dial has gone to pot.
Ordered new.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
I find by exercising them every few months that they tend to be less likely to get stuck.
And if you do take them off there is a set of instructions on greasing the newer ones
that comes in the Ford seal kit that you can order. It comes with 2 sets of the big yellow
O-rings and the paper seal thingie along with a new set of screws. The reason for two
yellow O-rings is one is for testing.

I'll look atound and see if I can find that set of instructions and post them if I do.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 AM
zeke37
Junior User
Sean I ordered Mile Markers put em in and everything is working great now. I decided to not even deal with the automatic hubs, a feature that I don't care that much for anyway.
My new question is I have read that I should plug the vacuum lines as a part of this process, and I plan on doing that, but what is the reason for doing that? Bill at powerstroke.com mentioned that I could used that port to oil the inner hub workings with archoil gun oil-
BTW this truck is now where I live in NC, but I bought it from a Washington State guy. The truck is beauty complete with red head steering gears. He live in the same town that they were manufactured in. 2004 steering is like a brand new truck.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
PM me later today and I'll get you some things from some documents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.