2003 F250 crew 7.3 radio/cd - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

2003 F250 crew 7.3 radio/cd

Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM
dveatch
New User
dveatch is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 F250 crew 7.3 radio/cd

Looks like the OEM CD player is on its way out. Insert a CD and most times it will go in, then spit it out, then go in, spit it out and eventually it will stay in. Other times it will do that and display "Err". At that point sometimes it will start playing and others I have to press play.

So what I want to know is this; will the newer year units like 05-07 (with bluetooth would be nice) fit in that hole and will the wiring harness mate up?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:25 PM
slpcth
Senior User
slpcth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know about how well the newer model year radios fit our trucks (I have an 03 F-350 CC) but have you considered an aftermarket radio. That's what I did. There are lots of good radios with Bluetooth, both single and double din that fit our trucks. Check out Crutchfield.com. They have great prices and include mounting and wire harness adapters.

Paul

Old 10-10-2018, 06:37 AM
dveatch
New User
Crutchfield? Didn't realize they were still around. Will check them out. Thanks.

A quick gander there and I don't like the most basic, and I mean basic as in, yeah it "fits" with modifications. And if I want to feel comfortable about what those mods are before buying I have to pay for their "masterlist". I get no warm fuzzies.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:10 AM
jarhead1349
Freshman User
jarhead1349 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did a fair amount of research on OEM head unit compatibility - my goal is to update my head unit to accept aux in and get some better sound ( I too am very hesitant to go the aftermarket route for various reasons)... I attached some links that might help you.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=2246003

https://replacementradios.com/ford-w...pp2-p-367.html

Bottom line is that if the plugs match and the mounting system has the two little release holes on the side of the faceplate, then you SHOULD have a compatible head unit.. the issue comes if you get a headunit that requires an off board amplifier like many of the MACH systems. I e-mailed the replacement radio people and they were helpful.

Good Luck!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:10 AM
FractureCritical
Senior User
FractureCritical is starting off with a positive reputation.
consider the Sony XAV-AX100. I put one of these in my 2001 SD and it puts the entertainment system in my 2015 Audi to shame, particularly with the inclusion of Carplay.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 AM
dveatch
New User
Erm. That looks nice and has some good specs but 400 bucks is way more than I want to spend.

Thank though.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
Only 99-2004 Radios will swap. The 05+ are different units. The factory radios go for 30.00 on ebay if you don't want to spend much money.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:32 PM
dveatch
New User
I don't like ebay and a bit hesitant to go with something that's of unknown history (verifiable) and wanted something a bit more modern. So going the cheap-ish route, went with a Kenwood DPX303MBT.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
I wanted to keep the OEM aesthetic to keep the install simple and the chance of theft low. I went with a used unit from LKQ. IIRC it was from an '05 Mountaineer. I got the in-dash 6 CD changer and it was the higher powered Audiophile model. It was a direct fit but since it was an '05 it had a different connection (world plug?) than mine. I ordered an adapter harness (don't remember the vendor or if they're still in business) but between Amazon, Carid, Crutchfield, and Metra someone should have one.

Not the most advanced unit in the world but sound output was better and the 6 CD changer worked (the reason I got a new one if for the very reason you are looking for one). 8 years later and the CD changer is dying (same symptoms) but I think I got my $150 out of it.

Next time around probably going to go the aftermarket round like you did as any used factory replacement will be o-l-d.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 PM
carbonation
Freshman User
carbonation is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 standard is DIN and a half sized hole. Anything aftermarket is double DIN. Only minor filing to make the aftermarket kit and radio fit. Crutchfield will have all the adapter plugs to mate with the factory harness.
JVC and Kenwood are the same company now. Both are good radios.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.