6.4L powerstroke surges and uses water? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

6.4L powerstroke surges and uses water?

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Ken_powerstroke00 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 2008 6.4l diesel that is deleted and had a slight tune. I removed the egr valve and bypassed the cooler. It has run great for a couple years till now. It has what we thought at first as a misfire but the ford dealership mechanic says it is surging. It also smokes white/blue and at first only used a little water. Today I checked it again and it was almost 3 to 4 gal low in coolant. Is this a headgasket? Tests that the mechanic did showed good compression and well within specs...is there another place in the system that water can get into the exhaust system? Please help and thank you for your time! Kenneth

Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
tuned diesel engines are subject to cracks in the heads, cylinder walls. if the engine has cracks, the engine could pass a compression test when cold. you should check your degas bottle for evidence of fuel

you should check your oil for water

the coolant can also leak a various points in the coolant plumbing.

check your coolant for the correct mix because coolant that is heavy on water, will boil sooner, increase pressure, etc.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:56 AM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
tuned diesel engines are subject to cracks in the heads, cylinder walls. if the engine has cracks, the engine could pass a compression test when cold. you should check your degas bottle for evidence of fuel

you should check your oil for water

the coolant can also leak a various points in the coolant plumbing.

check your coolant for the correct mix because coolant that is heavy on water, will boil sooner, increase pressure, etc.
okay thanks!....I am not considered a mechanic so I'm not very well educated....what is the degas bottle? And yes I beleive I'm gonna get an oil test to confirm....had it at the dealer again yesterday and he pulled the oil fill cap off and smoke and air comes puffing out.... not good! They pretty much said the engine is shot. And they r probably right I just hate to admit it! That's why I would like to somehow confirm the diagnosis of I can!? Thanks 4 your time, kenneth

Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Not saying they arenít correct. But the 6.4ís always have quite a bit of blowby. Can you post a video of what you are talking about. My healthy 6.4 still had quite a bit of blowby when cap was removed.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Not saying they arenít correct. But the 6.4ís always have quite a bit of blowby. Can you post a video of what you are talking about. My healthy 6.4 still had quite a bit of blowby when cap was removed.

Screenshot of blowby
I couldnt post the video for some reason but here is a screenshot of it. If I put ur hand there u can feel pulsating pressure. If the engine wouldn't be bad what would explain the truck using oil and coolants?.thanks kenneth

Old 10-11-2018, 03:23 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
You can try this...........it's old school, but it might answer a few questions.

Get the engine up to temp. Poke a few holes in a bread bag real close to where you zip tie it to the cap housing. If the pressure is too much for the bread bag, go with a freezer ziplock. With cap off. start and let idle. Give it awhile until you have an appreciable amount of "blowby" residue captured in the bottom of the bag.

Drain it into a shot glass and let it set overnight.

Your looking for separation to see if the steam is just oil or mixed with antifreeze.

Curious to see what the oil looks like on the dip as well. Is it milky?

Denny

What's dripping out of your exhaust would be another shot glass collection.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
You can try this...........it's old school, but it might answer a few questions.

Get the engine up to temp. Poke a few holes in a bread bag real close to where you zip tie it to the cap housing. If the pressure is too much for the bread bag, go with a freezer ziplock. With cap off. start and let idle. Give it awhile until you have an appreciable amount of "blowby" residue captured in the bottom of the bag.

Drain it into a shot glass and let it set overnight.

Your looking for separation to see if the steam is just oil or mixed with antifreeze.

Curious to see what the oil looks like on the dip as well. Is it milky?

Denny

What's dripping out of your exhaust would be another shot glass collection.
Alright thanks alot guys for those helpful tips...I'll see if I cant try those tests but probably wont get to them till next week but thanks!!. Kenneth

Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
BTW Ken,

Can you update your user with location. Someone on here could live down the street.

Denny

Old 10-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Sure..not sure how tho😳.live 30 minutes south of zanzville ohio.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Just an update...w had the truck to ford again and they did a compression test and cylinder 8 has low compression and we dumped another 5 gallons of coolant through....they pretty much guarantee that the engine is worthless including the turbos which they said likely could have been part of the problem of cylinder 8 going out....we have 230,000 miles on and the one fender is starting to rust...to replace the engine we would have more in it than what we payed 4 it and we also would rather not stick another 6.4 in it...any ideas on an engine swap of some kind....Cummins? 6.7? 7.3?(possibly have access to a well maintained and built 7.3 engine and rebuilt transmission 4 it)not sure if the electronics would be worth messing with tho....so yea we are not sure what to do. Any ideas are much appreciated!! Looking at buying another truck but its also a bit sad to trash the existing truck! Thanks 4 yr time...Kenneth

Old 10-15-2018, 06:57 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
That is a rough one!!! Anybody in this forum that steps up to this, is going to give you something you don't want to hear.

At that point, Ill say this. The truck is worth so much more running and at this point, even parting it out is scant.

You eluded to getting a replacement. Do alot of research, dig right in and spin wrenches if able, if not cast it away.

It's a melon to swallow. Either be proactive on it or hobby it, or the doomsday sale. Hate to see that go down.

Denny

Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
I have two opinions

a) since you are relying on the dealer...itís going to be expensive to drop a ford reman engine and the end result will be just a bunch of failed parts that were inspected and found ok. So itís just going to be a rewind of the prone to fail journey.

b) if you want to learn how to rebuild s diesel...great project to drag home and diy. Short blocks are a hell of a lot cheaper than complete motors plus labor.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
Thanks guys for the response and time!!!...yes it is a really hard decision and anyway u go u r dumping money somewhere...the question is do u dump it in a different truck that will last you awhile or do u try to fix the old one????!?!?? A really hard question at this point that possibly no one can answer!!!...but I would be curious to know what other ppl in this situation did beings I know plenty of ppl have gotten the same lemon!....Is the frame gonna outlast another engine with 230,000 on it? Is putting another 6.4 in even a wise idea?can it be a wise idea if deleted and egr components were removed early enough? Is there a slight possibility that when there down it would be reboreable and all u would do is change the gasket? Dont feel pressured to answer all these questions but in my opinion it is worth at least asking to find as much information b4 making a decision!...thanks to all those that have responded!!!Kenneth

Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Ken_powerstroke00
New User
The one question was misspelled....I asked would there b a possibility that when u would tear it down is there a possibility it would only need rebored and a new gasket and studs?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:05 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
No way of telling with out a tear down

regen temps get pretty hot for #8 and melted piston and cracks in heads / cyl walks are not uncommon

Most 6.4 heads on failed engines are not rebuildable

you are consuming coolant so cravksin cylinder and heads are possible.....more likely if there was fuel in degas bottle.

no fuel in degas bottle , would point to egr leak...but you said that was blocked off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: