2016 2.7 Oil Pan Leak - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

2016 2.7 Oil Pan Leak

Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 AM
logman2446
New User
logman2446 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2016 2.7 Oil Pan Leak

Hey guys, I know this has been regurgitated throughout this site and has been on many others, but like so many other people, I have had my oil pan replaced and still have a leak on the bolt heads. I'm done dealing with my local Ford mechanics and have honestly lost a bit of respect for Ford because of this. My question is, since I will likely never take my oil pan off, what are the consequences of just RTVing over the bolt heads to the oil pan sealing the bolt and all? This would keep the oil from leaking in the future.

Thanks,
Logan

Old 10-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
Assuming the pan is thin gauge metal, it sounds like the 'tech" forgot or did not check the raised dimples around the bolt holes in the pan....a standard practice in which if you don't ensure the dimples are there leaks happen right at the holes......

If the pan is cast Al, then the block/pan mating surfaces should be checked for cleanliness, etc.....most very likely not a Ford production/design issue...just a "tech' who forgot one little step...………….

Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
logman2446
New User
Unfortunately, this is another case with the plastic oil pan and the RTV sealant used as the gasket.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by logman2446 View Post
Unfortunately, this is another case with the plastic oil pan and the RTV sealant used as the gasket.
Uggg….. when I had my 1990 f150 SWB truck they had started the transition at that time..... I was lucky when I ordered my... the valve covers were metal and although the pan was plastic, it was heavy gauge......so I never had an issue in the 17 years I owned it but, with the vehicle lifespans now at 11 years, I feel for ya!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 AM
logman2446
New User
Thanks for the feedback man. Hoping this is something I can just live with and not let it pester me forever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: