Nitrous Nozzle Location/Style - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Nitrous Nozzle Location/Style

Old 10-08-2018, 08:37 PM
0500757Arf
Senior User
0500757Arf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nitrous Nozzle Location/Style

Hi all, going to be installing a nitrous set up on my 95' F-350 7.3 Powerstroke project truck and was just wondering if I could get your guys opinions on nozzle/nozzles location as this is my first time messing with nitrous. I'm not looking for huge power numbers with this install, mostly installing to get the more out of my injectors when on my "race" tune as my turbo is just a tad bit small for the size injectors I'm running and it rolls coal.

Anyways my main question for you guys is given my setup where would you put the nozzle/nozzles for a setup/power goal like mine which I will describe now. Basically my turbo is just a tad bit small for my injectors and so on my "race" tune I run rich and roll coal which elevates my EGT's among other things that aren't ideal. I could always detune to fix this but I wanted to squeeze a little more power out of the motor and get the most out of my injectors so figured a small shot of nitrous would do just the trick. All I want to do is run a 35-50 shot just to see how much it'll clean up my "race" tune and detune if it is still rich if I get to the 50 shot point. On my stock bottom end which granted is forged but this isn't a full blown race truck so no need to go after 1000+ HP numbers with huge shots of nitrous if even after 50 it doesn't clean it up as much as I had hoped. Just looking for a cleaner/cooler burn. The nitrous will only be programmed for my race tune and won't be in use at any other time or with any other tune. Will also be on a WOT switch which my "race" tune is strictly used for WOT racing.

Below I have attached a picture of the setup in my truck and the two options I came up with for nozzle/nozzles locations which are represented by the red circles. I figured I'd either run 2 nozzles for each bank post split of the "Y" pipe OR a single nozzle prior to the split of the "Y". I was leaning toward a 2 nozzle setup, one for each bank, solely because I read that the most efficient nitrous nozzle location would be 12" before the intake and I can't get 12" before my intake "Y" splits without adding a bung to my intercooler pipes, which I really don't want to do, and with where I could put a single nozzle I feel as though one bank would be favored due to the charged air forcing air into the motor and it would cause one of my banks to be favored over the other and run rich due to nitrous starvation on one bank and burn clean on the other because that's where all the nitrous is going during the spray. Another reason I'm leaning towards the 2 nozzles post "Y" is I'd know each bank would get even nitrous amounts...or so I'd think. Part of me thinks they'd be even but part of me also thinks that because of just how close the nozzles would be to the heads along with the 40ish PSI of charged air being forced into the motor that I wouldn't get even nitrous distribution among-st my cylinders because it wouldn't have ample distance to mix with the charge air from the turbo. What I mean by this is say on my driver side bank, due to the lack of distance it has to mix with the charged air if I put my nozzles post "Y" I'd get a ton of nitrous in my #6 and #4 cylinders and hardly any for my #8 and #2 cylinders due to the short distance it has to mix with the charged air....again this is just a thought, I have no idea what would actually happen that's just the way I think it could happen.

Another side thought is what kind of nozzle would you guys recommend for this kind of set up? I was going to go with a 90 degree nozzle regardless of set up I choose as I felt it made the most sense for either set up, whether is be 1 or 2 nozzles, but again I've never delt with nitrous before so the 90 was just based of intuition. Let me know what style you'd think would work best for this set up if ya could!

Again I am no nitrous expert and perhaps I'm over thinking this for a small 35-50 shot which is all I want to run but wanted to get opinions because as I said this is my first time playing with laughing gas and wanted to see what people with experience on the subject think and get it right the first time so I'm not going back and ordering double the parts because I rushed it and didn't do it right the first time. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-09-2018, 05:50 PM
0500757Arf
Senior User
0500757Arf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nothing? No one on here’s running nitrous? Or would this topic better covered in the Diesel performance thread?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.