Anyone carry a Rand McNally atlas? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Anyone carry a Rand McNally atlas?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Freightrain
Shiftoholic
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
The thing that bugs me the most with my Motor carrier road atlas, the binding hides too much and they don't "carry over" enough to the other page. It's like they cut 1/2" out of the middle of the page and let you guess. Instead of duplicating some of it so you can get your bearings easier between two adjacent pages. I have a few ancient RM maps and they are much easier to read then the Motor carrier edition. Just my .02.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
The original hand held navigation device!! I always carry a road atlas with me...since 1965.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:19 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
Funny you say that.

If you look up Virginia, MN route 53 has been re-routed. It is still under construction, actually. I hit the re-route the first time back in June of this year. Rt. 53 has been, and will be, under construction for many years.

My atlas is printed for 2019, not sure of the actual print date but the series is for the 2019 year. It already has the re-route on the map. My nav in the truck... it is at least 7 years out of date, and even when it was new was missing some already-in-existence re-routed state routes. Close enough for most of what I do with it, though.

As for the marine charts - for depth and the lay of the lake the paper charts I have are good. The Bluechart cartography in my plotter - same deal. Though, the plotter let me down in June. I was about 80 miles out and went to a "marina" marked in a harbor looking for gas. It was a secluded boat launch with a couple docks. I had to ask around and found I had to go about 5 miles down the bay, out of the way, to get to a "marina" with gas. Oh well. I had enough gas to get home, but if I got more I could keep on exploring. And I did.
We just drove threw Virginia MN in Sept, on the way to Lake Vermillion, and had no issues pulling 5ver..

Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use the "Motor Carriers" version to pre-plan routes, and "ALLSTAYS" while on the road.. Also Google maps on smartphone allows loading a offline maps, of your predefined area's and will work with no cellular service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.