1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Got my laugh for today:

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM
leonharu
Laughing Gas
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Got my laugh for today:

I went to the local Valvoline Express Care today to get my old truck greased,transmission and rear end oil level checked.I pulled up to the door when the boy was ready.he came up to the truck and said he would have to pull it in?I pulled park brake up and got out leaving it running.He started to get in and ask me if it was an automatic!!!I explained to him it was 3 speed on column and ask him if he had never drove a straight drive on the column???Then he ask me where low gear was!!!!He pushed clutch in and I basicaly put it in low gear for him.He managed to drive truck in and an older gentleman went below and I observed from over at the side hoping he knowed what he was doing.The older man got finished and and the boy got in the truck to pull it out and guess what he did not know how to crank it.I told him I figured you would not know how to crank it either!(laughing all the time).The older man got in it and cranked it and pulled it out.That little service cost me $16 and I checked when I got home and I bet about maybe half of the grease fittings where touched.I got a good laugh and learned my lesson never to go there again,I will do it myself like I use to always do!Sorry for long post but had to tell this story that I will always remember.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Funny story. I took my '08 F-350 diesel to a Ford dealer once for oil & filter change - $95. And they left the drain plug loose! I wouldn't have known except the wife noticed oil spots on the driveway. Never EVER again.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
It’s so funny and sad that this is an all too common occurrence with businesses. It’s exactly why I tell my wife that I try to learn and do everything myself. It’s hard to find reputable businesses although I’m sure there are still a few
ones around.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Brian1950F4
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I took Lisa's sport trac in recently. Drove around for the day. Came home, next morning big puddle. Very loose drain plug. And later when I got my credit card bill double charged.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
My son used to work at one of those quicky lube joints. But not for long though. If a car was not in the bay the managers would make the crew clock out. A car pulls in they work clock in. Of course they would have to wait around the shop til the next car would pull in. Even though he was there for 40 hours they would only pay clock in time. You dont get and keep good help running a buisness like that.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I bought a brand new '85 F-150. I usually changed the oil myself but I was in a hurry and took it to drive thru oil change place. Everything was fine until the next oil change. I did it myself on a Sunday afternoon. I undid the drain plug and noticed it came out a little funny and after draining the oil I went to install the plug and couldn't get it to go in. I looked at the thread and they were all messed up. I had to get the truck back on the road so I could go to work the next morning. I borrowed a car and went to parts store to get a new plug but all they had was some kind of universal thing so I bought it but it leaked. I went back the next day to the oil change place and talked to the manager about the screwed up plug. He tried to tell me Fords were notorious for having their oil drain plugs rust up and that's what must have happened to my truck, the oil drain plug rusted tight and when I removed it the rust wrecked the threads. I told the idiot if there was ever a place on any kind of vehicle that wouldn't rust it would be the threads of the oil pan drain plug. They ended up trying to fix it but screwed it up worse and ended up using a universal rubber plug, which I had to use for the rest of the time I owned the truck, changing for a new one at almost every oil change.

Another thing, I don't think I'd ever take the F-2 to an oil change place, can you imagine some kid trying to get the crash box tranny into gear? Heck, I've been driving it for for over 30 years and I still have trouble once in a while getting into 2nd if I let out the clutch at a stop. Only way to get it into 2nd is to shift it into reverse first and the back into 2nd. My wife wants to take the F-2 on a long trip again which would involve taking a ferry across Lake Michigan. The ferry she wants to take has college kids driving car below deck and the do it at a fast pace. I can just imagine one of them trying to get the F-2 into the bottom of the ship.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Hey Bob, I would of loved to see that manager's face after you countered his dumb excuse with a smart fact. I was trying to buy a car one time and the salesman was giving me a real low ball offer on the trade. I came in with all my facts and figures, and knew what the Kelly Book value was on a dealer trade in. My trades' mileage and condition put it right in the middle of the "fair trade in price" range. The dealership that morning ran a huge, full page add in the local newspaper that said "Kelly Blue Book Sale" in big letters. A copy of this add was even laying on the salesmans desk! So after 20 mins of haggling, I tell the salesman. "Your are not even close to the KBB fair trade value on this vehicle" He said "Sorry, but we don't use Kelly Blue Book". I grabbed the add from the top of his desk and held it up to him and said. Well you better tell the newspaper to correct you add then". His jaw dropped and he turned white. He then composed himself and told me "you don't know how to buy a car". I said "maybe...but I do know how to do this" I got up and just walked out.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
. The ferry she wants to take has college kids driving car below deck and the do it at a fast pace. I can just imagine one of them trying to get the F-2 into the bottom of the ship.
Bob, we would pay to see a video of that!

Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Rusty oil drain plug threads?? Really? LOL

I can 'bout guarantee he had a totally punchable face. Amiright?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gregstith
It’s so funny and sad that this is an all too common occurrence with businesses. It’s exactly why I tell my wife that I try to learn and do everything myself. It’s hard to find reputable businesses although I’m sure there are still a few
ones around.

You can blame our educational system for this. Most schools are teaching to send students to college with not enough emphasis on students that are tactile learners and/or are interested in working a trade. Certainly the money is there and the employment opportunities. Shops in good, new car dealerships can charge $125/hr labor. Most will tell you that they cannot find enough good mechanics. There just are not enough programs in schools that prepare students that are interested and mechanically skilled to take advantage of these opportunities.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Took the company Taurus to the local Jiffy Lube which is owned by a friend of mine. Got home, walked to the mailbox and saw a trail of oil going down the street the way I had just come in. Pulled the dipstick and the crankcase was dry. Called my friend and told him to send a tow out because the engine will go away if I drive it in. He sent one of his guys out with five quarts of oil and a new filter. Turns out the guy that changed the oil in the pit cross threaded the filter and it never seated so it leaked all the way home. My next oil change was free. I'm too old to climb under cars anymore.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 10-16-2018, 05:34 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Here's another one. I bought a brand new '90 F-150. A couple of years later I noticed the hood and a couple of flicks of paint were coming off the hood. A service truck, which was also a Ford, at work was a couple of years older and had the same problem and the Ford dealer repainted the hood under warranty so I took mine to see if they would take car of it. The body shop manager came out to take a look at it. At the time everyone had bug shields on the front of their hoods and so did I. The manager looked the hood over and said, "The problem is you have the bug shield on the front of the hood so every time you're driving down the freeway doing 60 mph you hit bugs with the shield, they fire up in the air like a bullet, come down and hit your hood and nicks the pain." I said, "Ok, so I'm driving 60 mph and hit a bug with a vertical surface and the bugs come straight down and hits my hood? I'd be a half mile down the road before the bug would ever hit the ground." He ended up painting the hood under warranty.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Same '90 F-150, extended cab with full 8' box. I took it to a car wash where you got out and the attendant drove it through the wash. At the beginning of the wash line there was a narrow 90° turn. The teenage attendant jumped in the truck and started going into the wash. I could see he was having a lot of trouble negotiating the turn. He moved forward and backed up a few times without success. I walked over and offered to drive the truck around the corner. He had a real look of relief on his and face and said, "Yes". I pulled it around the corner in one easy move.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 PM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one. I took my 41 Ford Business Coup to a gas station to get it safety inspected. I caught the mechanic beating on the dust cap to get it off so he could pull the brake drum off to inspect the brakes. The dust cap on the 41 Ford has six sides on it as it has to be unscrewed to get it off. I asked him if he knew why the dust cap had six sides on it. He didn't know.