6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Deleted truck - exhaust filter warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:00 AM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Deleted truck - exhaust filter warning

I have a fully deleted 2014, yesterday I got a message on the display that says "Exhaust Filter Over Limit Service Now" driving home and boost was limited to no more than 10psi. I'm guessing there is a problem with my tunes but, I can't get in touch with anyone about that until Monday. Is there a way to reset whatever caused this message with ForScan or something in the meantime?

Old 10-06-2018, 01:59 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your tunes are supposed to be setup to completely ignore and over-ride all things related to the delete. Definitely something is missing on the tuning end of things. I don't think you can clear that code. The computer is recognizing that it's gone

Old 10-07-2018, 07:36 AM
bcg
Tuned
That's what I thought. The message was gone when I got in the truck yesterday morning and it ran and drove fine. I think there are some tune issues though, I'm getting a recurring code in some of the "higher" settings on the SOTF, it occasionally shifts hard enough that it feels like someone did it with a sledgehammer and now this.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:16 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I took stuff off my truck and now it isn't right
Shocking.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:31 AM
bcg
Tuned
Originally Posted by The Bone
I took stuff off my truck and now it isn't right
Shocking.
Actually, I bought the truck without this stuff on it and the tune that it came with didn't have the issues that are showing up now. I thought the shifting was a little sloppy and wanted to know how it was tuned so I bought some Tyrant tunes and that's when these issues started popping up. So, it would seem that the issues are the tunes and not the missing stuff. However, I would like to sincerely thank you for your snarky comment, I found it most helpful.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:12 PM
cappa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to get ahold of tyrant if that's who's tuning your running. Tyrant is usually really good and you definitely should not have any filter issues or de-rate due to the super restrictor, that's assuming it's no longer there. Get your tune figured out and this thing will be a reliable beast, way better than with that crap emission system in line, usually that is where most of the problems with these trucks occur. That and valves on the early job 1 2011's. Make sure you have the proper delete tune and let it get a bit of a relearn on the trans before you beat on it to hard, and turn it down if your towing heavy and that thing should last forever.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I just hate it when people buy trucks then take all the stuff off thinking they arer improving there truck at the expense of the air we breath.
Ya my comment was a little snarky and now that I know more , sorry
This is the reason I won't buy a modified truck or car. I have modified cars but I also have all the parts to return to stock and I never remove pollution control stuff.
When you tune any vehicle. You take the stock tune out of the computer and replace it with a new system. Without the tuner you can't return the truck to stock or modify the tune in the truck. Not sure if the tuner came with the truck. Tyrfant may not be able to help if they sell tuners to lots of people because the tuner is locked to your truck.
You may have to buy a new tune and take the truck to to a dealer have them upload stock tune than you can start all over fresh.
Sorry you are having these issues. In the future i will try to be more helpful here.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 AM
bcg
Tuned
Originally Posted by The Bone
I just hate it when people buy trucks then take all the stuff off thinking they arer improving there truck at the expense of the air we breath.
Ya my comment was a little snarky and now that I know more , sorry
This is the reason I won't buy a modified truck or car. I have modified cars but I also have all the parts to return to stock and I never remove pollution control stuff.
When you tune any vehicle. You take the stock tune out of the computer and replace it with a new system. Without the tuner you can't return the truck to stock or modify the tune in the truck. Not sure if the tuner came with the truck. Tyrfant may not be able to help if they sell tuners to lots of people because the tuner is locked to your truck.
You may have to buy a new tune and take the truck to to a dealer have them upload stock tune than you can start all over fresh.
Sorry you are having these issues. In the future i will try to be more helpful here.
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I'll admit though, the deletion is one of the reasons I bought the truck, with 163k on it when I bought it, if it hadn't had emissions problems, it was due. I live in a county with an average of about 10 people per square mile and drive less than 15,000 miles per year so my addition of soot (which I'm working to completely eliminate with tuning) or NOx will only hurt wildlife, if anyone at all. I'd rather still be in my 7.3, to be completely honest but, someone else made that decision for me when they plowed into me from behind at 70 MPH while I was turning onto my road. It's possible for a well tuned truck to run pretty cleanly without the emissions, not necessarily NOx but, I promise even with my deleted truck, the air at my house is cleaner than most places and "the solution to pollution is dilution," right? In all honesty, I think diesels are clean even without the emissions, their NOx emissions without any controls are only slightly more than a gas engine with a catalytic convertor (Vehicle Emissions | Air Pollution | City Diesel | LPG | CNG). At this point, we're reducing fractions of fractions but, we're also burning more fuel (emissions systems definitely reduce fuel mileage on diesels) and sacrificing reliability to do so. That's my position on it anyway, it differs from yours but, at least I can defend it.

There was no tuner with the truck when I got it, I bought an SCT X4 with Tyrant tunes on it so I would know what was on it and could control it and because I was seeing a small puff of smoke every time I started moving from a complete stop that I wanted to eliminate. Also, the shifts were mushy with the tune that it came with and I needed that fixed. I think the problem is that they made some assumptions about how the delete was done and programmed to look for sensors that might not be there anymore or vice versa so, I need to crawl under the truck and see what's actually still left.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:56 AM
cappa
Senior User
Sounds like you have it figured out. Sct or tyrant might have a oem stock tune for your truck as well and it could save you a dealer re flash. I know spartan does cause I have one. I would however take it to the dealers lot when you try and return to stock and then load the new tyrant tunes just in case the ecu locks up for some reason and you need ids to return to stock, might save you a tow as the truck will be useless until you get the proper delete tune loaded. This does go against my normal process of flashing thou as I always have a battery charger hooked up when I flash as lower battery power can cause the same issues. This is also why I turn all lights off, as well as climate control and radio, don't open any doors or use Windows while it flashes. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM
MG250
Senior User
Not exactly a chump change fine. This may be the tip of the iceberg...or not.

EPA Fines Tuning Company $300,000 for Producing and Selling Emissions Defeat Devices - The Drive

Old 10-09-2018, 04:42 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MG250
Not exactly a chump change fine. This may be the tip of the iceberg...or not.

EPA Fines Tuning Company $300,000 for Producing and Selling Emissions Defeat Devices - The Drive
Trumps working on changing that haha

Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 PM
cappa
Senior User
Not too worried about it in my neck of the woods

Old 10-10-2018, 08:25 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Thats chump change compared to what Edge and H&S paid about 6 years ago. I had my 6.4 tuned back then and paid attention to this stuff. Heed what someone above said, tune it back to stock to tow heavy. I knew that but forgot what tune my H&S was in and blew a Head Gasket towing my big 5th wheel over monteagle $5000 plus for the repair.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Edge was $500k plus $157k to apparently fund advancements to wood burning stoves. H&S settled for $1M to CARB plus $400k for the same wood burning stoves project, agreed to destroy devices and not provide support.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/hands.htm

Between fines and changing encryption on vehicle modules, I think direct tuning will be very difficult in five years or less without replacing OEM modules with custom modules and firmware.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Edge was $500k plus $157k to apparently fund advancements to wood burning stoves. H&S settled for $1M to CARB plus $400k for the same wood burning stoves project, agreed to destroy devices and not provide support.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/hands.htm

Between fines and changing encryption on vehicle modules, I think direct tuning will be very difficult in five years or less without replacing OEM modules with custom modules and firmware.
Tell you the truth I haven’t felt the need to tune the 6.7. My 6.4 was an 08 and it needed tuned. Was slow spooling up, made oil like crazy and just seemed constipated. With the tuner even in stock tune it was a beast. I blew the HG in monteaglw TN and towed my trailer 16k +/- all the way to western montana and then to yellow stone and back home. Only way I could tell the HG was blown was coolant usage. I might still have it except i got hit and totaled. I drove the 14 off the lot and it has never been back except for a couple oil changes.