brakes dont work well - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

brakes dont work well

Old 10-07-2018, 01:02 PM
zman62
Freshman User
zman62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
brakes dont work well

I have a 2017 f250 lariat with the 6.7. It seems when I really need to stop fast the brakes don't grab well. Under normal braking I feel like I am applying more pressure than I should need. I have 6 of these trucks in my business and they are all normal feeling. I am running 37s on this one but I noticed this brake feel prior to the wheel and tires going on. I pull a 46 ft gooseneck race trailer and really notice it with that. I am wondering if somehow I have glazed the front pads? Has anyone else experienced this?

I am thinking about putting a different set of front pads on it to see if it makes a difference.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Faceplant409 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Iíve seen the opposite.
Im running BFG ATs. 285x20. ~35Ē
I use a little more pressure than with stock tires as they are heavier and taller.
Just yesterday I was slowing from 75 on freeway and then it came to an abrupt stop and the harder o pressed the faster I stopped. I really thought I did not have a chance to avoid a rear ender, but no fade and felt solid. Happily- no accident. Had to change my shorts, but bumpers intact!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:02 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
As long as your gentle on them they seem a bit soft. Once you do some hard stops, they will break in properly and the pads will bed to the rotors. A few wholly Jesus moments requiring hard stops will turn this around. I would definatly try this before changing pads. You may wish to ensure a proper servicing of the brakes as well. Caliper pins must be lubed properly, with high temp caliper grease. If they are not lubed up properly, you won’t get smooth movement of the pads on the pins.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:12 PM
zman62
Freshman User
zman62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I should add the truck as 10k miles on it. Also there is no way I could ever engage the ABS as there just is not enough grab from the brakes.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:03 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
I should add the truck as 10k miles on it. Also there is no way I could ever engage the ABS as there just is not enough grab from the brakes.
I've been noticing that my truck is braking in a similar way. When it was new it would stop so fast stuff would fly off the back seat. Now? Not so much.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:30 AM
N2dunz
Junior User
N2dunz is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2019 feels the same way.
This is the 5 Superduty I have had and the worst feeling brake pedal feel.
I have 2700 miles on mine.
I have done some hard stops to no avail.

While at a stop, if I push the pedal as hard as I can, then the pedal feels good for a few hundred miles, but then starts to feel soft again.
Haven't taken it to the dealer yet.
I want to go and drive another similar year and see how it feels.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:00 AM
VA13FX4
Senior User
VA13FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine felt weak from day one. I went out on a long unoccupied stretch of highway and did 7 or 8 hard brakes from 70 mph to 5 mph and then parked overnight. There was minimal difference first thing the next day, but once the brakes warmed up a bit I could tell a difference.

That was at about 4K miles. Now at 12K Iím contemplating changing pads because it seems like the stopping power is back to what it was originally. Iíve been in a couple short stop situations on the interstate and they were definitely OH $#!+ situations as I didnít think I was going to be able to stop in time. I was standing on the brakes as hard as I could and it just didnít seem to slow as fast as it should have.

Initially I really just thought it was because I wasnít used to a 250ís weight and stopping distance since I had just come from a 150 that I had upgraded the brakes on, but now Iím pretty certain itís the pads on this truck. In any other vehicle Iíve driven, if I was to have slammed on the brakes as hard as I did those couple times on the interstate there would have been some tire squealing and the ABS would have kicked in. The brakes did stop me in time to avoid a collision, so Maybe it is just the way this truck is supposed to brake, but it doesnít give me a lot of confidence.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:19 PM
gravedgr
Likes to go fast
gravedgr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by VA13FX4 View Post
Maybe it is just the way this truck is supposed to brake, but it doesnít give me a lot of confidence.
I haven't tried any hard stops yet, but the brakes definitely don't inspire confidence.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Senior User
Busa 1 Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I've been noticing that my truck is braking in a similar way. When it was new it would stop so fast stuff would fly off the back seat. Now? Not so much.
Had mine 3 months and 9600 miles. My 2018 has the best brakes of any 3/4 Chevy, Dodge/Ram or other Ford I have ever owned. Sounds like some folks have some brake problems..

Old 10-08-2018, 10:32 PM
D3thM3tal
Senior User
D3thM3tal is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Yeah - I don't like the brakes on my 19` either, had a close call or two and been pushed further into an intersection than I had wanted to be. I had more confidence in my 03' Excursion's brakes than these... dealer has already had it and bedded the pads too.

Who makes good pads for these? I really liked the difference the EBC pads made on the X.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:30 AM
VA13FX4
Senior User
I had Power Stop Z36 towing pads on my f150 and liked them a lot, but I also had their rotors too. Iím thinking of trying the EBC green stuff 7000s.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Could this be f250 vs f350 (non hydroboost vs hydro boost)

Old 10-09-2018, 07:39 AM
D3thM3tal
Senior User
D3thM3tal is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Originally Posted by VA13FX4 View Post
I had Power Stop Z36 towing pads on my f150 and liked them a lot, but I also had their rotors too. Iím thinking of trying the EBC green stuff 7000s.
I can't find anything for the newer super duties on their site - it's like they don't make them.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Anybody know what the spec is for the 60 to zero stopping distance is? I don't know if I can set that up in my truck or not. Maybe using a GPS to measure start/stop distance?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:47 AM
VA13FX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by D3thM3tal View Post
I can't find anything for the newer super duties on their site - it's like they don't make them.
EBC part number DP73015 for the fronts

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.