another 99 2.5L coil pack connection question - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

another 99 2.5L coil pack connection question

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

another 99 2.5L coil pack connection question

Old 10-11-2018, 02:13 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Does the CEL light up for its self check at KOEO Before you crank the engine for a start? If not, it may be burned out, a connection, or ECM problem.
If the problem doesn't happen often, or long enough, it may just set a "Pending" code that doesn't turn the CEL on unless the problem happens long enough, or often enough. In any case a good scan tool like the ELM would be able to read a pending code.

To get an idea of how good a job the insulation of the new plug wires & coil packs potting material & case insulation is doing, after dark, at warm idle, you could spritz each plug wire & coil pack with a spray bottle of water, while looking for a arcs & sparks light show from damaged, weak /faulty insulation. Do this before spraying the coil packs with silicone, or adding more grease to the plug boots or spark plug insulators, so you can get a good idea how good the new parts are without help.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:42 PM
RhodyRanger
New User
RhodyRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, the CEL illuminates at KOEO during self check.

One things that "pours cold water" on the dew induced flashover theory: during highway driving under heavy rain conditions today, no missing was observed.

To be continued...

Old 10-14-2018, 05:44 PM
RhodyRanger
New User
RhodyRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
A brief update: I tried misting the coil packs and spark plugs after dark. I did not observe any light emissions from arcing...

We had dry weather today and though I had driven the truck in the morning, this afternoon when I was cruising down the highway I experienced the hesitation again. On the trip back, there was no issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.