another 99 2.5L coil pack connection question - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

another 99 2.5L coil pack connection question

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

another 99 2.5L coil pack connection question

Old 10-11-2018, 02:13 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Does the CEL light up for its self check at KOEO Before you crank the engine for a start? If not, it may be burned out, a connection, or ECM problem.
If the problem doesn't happen often, or long enough, it may just set a "Pending" code that doesn't turn the CEL on unless the problem happens long enough, or often enough. In any case a good scan tool like the ELM would be able to read a pending code.

To get an idea of how good a job the insulation of the new plug wires & coil packs potting material & case insulation is doing, after dark, at warm idle, you could spritz each plug wire & coil pack with a spray bottle of water, while looking for a arcs & sparks light show from damaged, weak /faulty insulation. Do this before spraying the coil packs with silicone, or adding more grease to the plug boots or spark plug insulators, so you can get a good idea how good the new parts are without help.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:42 PM
RhodyRanger
New User
RhodyRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, the CEL illuminates at KOEO during self check.

One things that "pours cold water" on the dew induced flashover theory: during highway driving under heavy rain conditions today, no missing was observed.

To be continued...

Old 10-14-2018, 05:44 PM
RhodyRanger
New User
A brief update: I tried misting the coil packs and spark plugs after dark. I did not observe any light emissions from arcing...

We had dry weather today and though I had driven the truck in the morning, this afternoon when I was cruising down the highway I experienced the hesitation again. On the trip back, there was no issue.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Good to hear the ignition system passed the wet down test. Have any things changed for the better yet?

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
RhodyRanger
New User
Thank you for asking.

I would not say things are solved. I need to get the scan tool but have made no progress on that front.

It hasn't really had a first-start rough idle in a little while, but it is still missing on the highway when I put my foot on the accelerator. At constant highway speed it behaves fine.

I ran two bottles of Techron through it. Has the Techron worked? Well, certainly it has not solved the missing under highway acceleration problem. When it isn't missing (which is most of the time), the truck seems to be running better. But I don't know.

I'm trying to do one thing at a time, and get the truck into a better state of maintenance with the simple things taken care of before going down more complicated paths. Of course I have done regular oil/air filter changes, but there were things that I didn't know needed to be done. For instance, I just changed the PCV. It didn't make any impact on the issue at hand, but it probably needed to be done (the PCV rattled but it was a bit 'gummy'. We got the truck when it had roughly 75k miles. Only after I changed it did I learn that Ford offered free PCV replacent at 60k miles Oh well.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter next just as soon as I can get some time to get under the truck. I don't really expect that it will solve the issue either. But I was surprised while perusing the Ford scheduled maintenance guide that they have a 15k replacement interval on the fuel filter. That seems an awfully short change interval, particularly compared to other vehicles I've owned. I haven't done it in the 25k miles we've owned it, and I have no idea when it was done before, if ever.

There are a couple of other points to discuss, but I'll have to get to them in a post later.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
pawpaw
Ok, good feedback on the highway miss. When you go at throttle up & feel it miss, does the dash CEL flash???

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.