Stumpt: Turn Signal - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Stumpt: Turn Signal

  #16  
Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM
65navyf100
65navyf100 is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 66
65navyf100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't see in the wiring diagram that Joe posted where it needs a diode, seems like it should work fine without it, so I imagine you have an issue somewhere else. But if you can't find any other issues and the only time both signals flash is when you plug in the indicator bulb I think the diode will get it done for you.
 
  #17  
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM
daveengelson
daveengelson is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ca
Posts: 5,724
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
The Custom Cab sweep dash uses only one indicator for turn signals. It is shown in the wiring diagram in the attached link, as are the dual indicators for the round dash..

http://www.fordification.info/tech/i...ringMaster.jpg

I thank you for the link! Wow, what a dilemma, according to the diagram in the Fordification link the indicator may be a single element bulb with 2 lead wires, 1 for #49 and the other for #50; perhaps some thing similar to the alternator and oil pressure light socket, I will have to test to determine if they will work independently, if would seem so; on the otherhand, is a duel element bulb with duel leads 1 or each turn signal, getting excited I can experiment some more. Anyhow, thanks to U all's help I may be able to sort the issue out today and get the instrument panel back together!!
 
  #18  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Jolly Roger Joe's Avatar
Jolly Roger Joe
Jolly Roger Joe is offline
Just another Joe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rockingham, VA
Posts: 6,423
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
So Dave, back to your original post....

It appears we have similar but different problems with our indicators. We have different dashes, yours being the normal sweep for the CC, and mine being the optional (in a CC) round.

The similarity is in having two lamps flashing when only one should be, and only one when two should be. Yours appears outside the cab, on the park lamps, while mine appears inside the cab in my dash indicators. What do your park lights do when you engage the Emergency flasher? I would not be surprised to learn only one of your lights flash.

All my external signal lights work correctly. But in my dash, when I am turning left, only the left dash indicator blinks, as it should. When turning right, both dash indicators blink. When using the emergency flasher, the emergency light and only the right indicator blinks. Once again, all external lights work properly. I haven't figured this out yet.

So I'm very interested to see what you find...
 
  #19  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Christmas's Avatar
Christmas
Christmas is online now
Freshman User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
Christmas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had similar problems with my turn signal. Turned out to be the signal switch not making contact. Try removing the steering wheel and turning the switch to one side or the other and pushing down on the switch to make contact. If everything comes to life you have a bad switch. Took me a while to figure this out because my column harness and switch were new.
 
  #20  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Jolly Roger Joe's Avatar
Jolly Roger Joe
Jolly Roger Joe is offline
Just another Joe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rockingham, VA
Posts: 6,423
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by daveengelson View Post
I thank you for the link! Wow, what a dilemma, according to the diagram in the Fordification link the indicator may be a single element bulb with 2 lead wires, 1 for #49 and the other for #50; perhaps some thing similar to the alternator and oil pressure light socket, I will have to test to determine if they will work independently, if would seem so; on the otherhand, is a duel element bulb with duel leads 1 or each turn signal, getting excited I can experiment some more. Anyhow, thanks to U all's help I may be able to sort the issue out today and get the instrument panel back together!!
Yes, all the instrument panel bulbs are single element, and are grounded to the instrument panel. So for the turn indicator, it just needs a 12 volt supply from either wire #49 OR wire # 50, depending on which connection is made in the turn signal switch. With 12 volts on either wire, the bulb will light.
 
  #21  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Jolly Roger Joe's Avatar
Jolly Roger Joe
Jolly Roger Joe is offline
Just another Joe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rockingham, VA
Posts: 6,423
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
I had similar problems with my turn signal. Turned out to be the signal switch not making contact. Try removing the steering wheel and turning the switch to one side or the other and pushing down on the switch to make contact. If everything comes to life you have a bad switch. Took me a while to figure this out because my column harness and switch were new.
I'm trying to figure out how the switch could be the problem... and I'm not there yet. But thanks for the advice.
 
  #22  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Christmas's Avatar
Christmas
Christmas is online now
Freshman User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
Christmas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jolly Rodger, On mine the pivot point was sloppy and wouldn't allow good contact. My fix was to cut off the retaining head and drill and tap it so I could use a screw and washer to hold it tight (I had to file down the height some). 3yrs now and no problem.
 
  #23  
Old 10-13-2018, 04:36 PM
daveengelson
daveengelson is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ca
Posts: 5,724
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Cut wires from both connectors at the column and used spade type connectors to attach the 5 wires, not a particular fan of 'heat shrink' connectors but found works well in joining wires in a confine space. I ended up using an alternator socket with 2 leads and does not appear to be grounded at the instrument panel, intend purchasing a new replacement. I ended up soldering #49 to one of the indicator leads and the other lead soldered to #50, My no means do I suggest the set-up is correct but so far the turn signal circuit is working as it should. I also added a ground strap wire, in the past I found adding a ground wire to a CC panel tends to eliminate some instrument gauge jitters ? I am now in the process of using non-adhesive harness wrap to secure the wires hopefully once complete all is still well.

Again, thanks to all for their input, the Fortification diagram kinda got me back on track?
 
  #24  
Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Jolly Roger Joe's Avatar
Jolly Roger Joe
Jolly Roger Joe is offline
Just another Joe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rockingham, VA
Posts: 6,423
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by daveengelson View Post
Cut wires from both connectors at the column and used spade type connectors to attach the 5 wires, not a particular fan of 'heat shrink' connectors but found works well in joining wires in a confine space. I ended up using an alternator socket with 2 leads and does not appear to be grounded at the instrument panel, intend purchasing a new replacement. I ended up soldering #49 to one of the indicator leads and the other lead soldered to #50, My no means do I suggest the set-up is correct but so far the turn signal circuit is working as it should. I also added a ground strap wire, in the past I found adding a ground wire to a CC panel tends to eliminate some instrument gauge jitters ? I am now in the process of using non-adhesive harness wrap to secure the wires hopefully once complete all is still well.

Again, thanks to all for their input, the Fortification diagram kinda got me back on track?
So what do you think fixed the problem? You had only one front turn signal but it was flashing for both left and right. Was there an open or shorted wire going to it within the connector?
 
  #25  
Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM
daveengelson
daveengelson is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ca
Posts: 5,724
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Not an authority on automotive electrical circuits, mostly a matter of trial and error. Noticed the Fordification link appears to show the CC directional indicator lamp is not grounded with a single element bulb 2 leads, which was different from how I ran the circuit? I am currently using a faulty spare oil pressure socket as a direction indicator lamp until I can replace with something similar or same. I also removed the male pins from the 6 pin connectors and felt there were a couple male and female pins that were questionable so I cut both out and joined them using spade type connectors. I also added a ground strap from the instrument panel and ran it to the brake assembly bracket found it tends to settle gauge jitters?

The directional lamp socket I installed is questionable so until I locate a replacement only going to secure the instrument panel with a couple screws. As yet not convince problem solve, since I do not have a clue when it comes to automotive circuitry electrical gremlins can haunt me?

Thank you for the input!!
 
  #26  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:45 AM
Jolly Roger Joe's Avatar
Jolly Roger Joe
Jolly Roger Joe is offline
Just another Joe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rockingham, VA
Posts: 6,423
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by daveengelson View Post
Not an authority on automotive electrical circuits, mostly a matter of trial and error. Noticed the Fordification link appears to show the CC directional indicator lamp is not grounded with a single element bulb 2 leads, which was different from how I ran the circuit? I am currently using a faulty spare oil pressure socket as a direction indicator lamp until I can replace with something similar or same. I also removed the male pins from the 6 pin connectors and felt there were a couple male and female pins that were questionable so I cut both out and joined them using spade type connectors. I also added a ground strap from the instrument panel and ran it to the brake assembly bracket found it tends to settle gauge jitters?

The directional lamp socket I installed is questionable so until I locate a replacement only going to secure the instrument panel with a couple screws. As yet not convince problem solve, since I do not have a clue when it comes to automotive circuitry electrical gremlins can haunt me?

Thank you for the input!!
Okay, maybe this will help you understand the way the CC dash indicator works. Any bulb needs both power (12 volts) and a ground to light. For the CC bulb as shown in the Fordification diagram, the wires for both left and right turn signal are attached. If the left turn is selected, one of those wires, either 49 or 50 supplies 12 volts via the flasher. The light blinks because it has both 12 volts and a ground through the socket and instrument panel. If the right turn is selected, the other wire, either 49 or 50 supplies 12 volts via the flasher and the light blinks because it has both 12 volts and a ground through the socket and instrument panel. The bulb socket must be grounded all the time through the instrument panel. All of the bulb sockets are grounded this way. Notice in the diagram all the other bulbs have only 1 wire going to them... to provide 12 volts.

Does that make sense?
 
  #27  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:39 PM
daveengelson
daveengelson is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ca
Posts: 5,724
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Okay, maybe this will help you understand the way the CC dash indicator works. Any bulb needs both power (12 volts) and a ground to light. For the CC bulb as shown in the Fordification diagram, the wires for both left and right turn signal are attached. If the left turn is selected, one of those wires, either 49 or 50 supplies 12 volts via the flasher. The light blinks because it has both 12 volts and a ground through the socket and instrument panel. If the right turn is selected, the other wire, either 49 or 50 supplies 12 volts via the flasher and the light blinks because it has both 12 volts and a ground through the socket and instrument panel. The bulb socket must be grounded all the time through the instrument panel. All of the bulb sockets are grounded this way. Notice in the diagram all the other bulbs have only 1 wire going to them... to provide 12 volts.

Does that make sense?
It does make sense, I thank you for the clarification!

 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.