Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
2020 Explorer and Aviator

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-front-side-02

Check out the article, it says it all.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:31 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, although the Explorer styling takes some cues from the current model, it really comes into its own with the new proportions. IMO Ford got this one really right. I don't care for the Edge proportions a lot, but for comparison sake, I do like the proportions and looks of the Durango which is the closest thing to the new Explorer.

I think I'd like the new Explorer based on looks, but the Edge (and new Bronco) will be more the size I like...and since I have a minivan, I like a daily driver that is 2 rows and smaller to park, but that can still carry a bicycle behind the front seat without my having to pull off a wheel.

George

Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Ford has been really bipolar on this one, let's hope they can settle into a rhythm and stay with a similar body / driveline for a while.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tseekins
Ford has been really bipolar on this one, let's hope they can settle into a rhythm and stay with a similar body / driveline for a while.
Not really bipolar. When they chose to make the 2011 Explorer a unit body SUV, their best platform in that size was the old Volvo platform on which they based their new-gen Taurus and Montego. This was natively a transverse engine FWD/AWD platform. (Chysler is still using a Mercedes platform for the Grand Cherokee and Durango--this started as an inline engine unit body platform.)

The new Explorer is based on a brand new Ford CD6 global platform that can either have a transverse or inline engine (interesting variations) along with FWD, RWD, and AWD, and will have many applications including the 2021 Mustang! Pretty wide range. See link below.

For comparison sake, Subaru has gone to a single platform for every vehicle they make from the compact Impreza (Focus-sized) to the Ascent 3-row SUV (competitor to the Explorer but a bit smaller). I think Honda is doing the same thing. But I think Ford may be unique in allowing the transverse or inline engine placement. Definition of platform is pretty basic here, as they are obviously stretching wheelbase and track measurements as needed, and the new Explorer will be a towing workhorse, so they have to be allowing for suspension components that are pretty tough (which would be way different on the new Mustang).

I will have to read some more about what part of the platform remains static among the applications--presumably this would be the floorpan and basic suspension configuration. I'm wondering how even the floorpan can be common with different rocker panel widths (the rockers of the Mustang and Explorer would be different, as they would be on the Impreza and Ascent...) Reminiscent of what Chrysler did with the K Car platform--everything from Dodge Daytonas to the hugely successful minivans.

Ford CD6 Vehicle Platform Info, Power, Specs, Wiki

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
"Bipolar" was in reference to Ford changing it's drive lines and frames over the years, not this model in particular. I can't fault Ford for using a global platform that works on several models. It's smart and proven by numerous auto makers.

I remember when the Explorer migrated from RWD full frame to it's current set up, the purists were mortified and swore Ford off forever. The current Explorer is my favorite of all the models ever built. It's attractive, well balanced and very well built. It would seem that nearly every major police force in the country would seem to feel the same.

I hope the new model can continue to fill the huge shoes that the Explorer has been filling for nearly three decades.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
All car companies have changed platforms over the years. Sales of the Explorer went from 60,000 in 2010 to 135,000 in 2011, and have held at about 250,000 over the last 4 years. The 2010 Explorer was not really a useful off-roader, so the only loss when Ford went to a unit body was maybe in the area of towing. No doubt that the original Explorer (and maybe the Jeep Cherokee) established the SUV as a family vehicle.

I think the 2020 Explorer will be a huge success; it seems like Ford has put more effort into the Police Interceptor version than ever before. The only gap I see is that the clever dual-vehicle police team of the Taurus and Explorer will be gone--our local departments have a mix of the two vehicles although Explorers are clearly in the majority. It made so much sense from a parts and servicing standpoint to have the common chassis of the Taurus and Explorer in police fleets.

Looking forward to seeing the new Explorer on the road; the only thing I don't like about them is when I see a black-grilled Sport in my rear view mirror, it makes me slow down...but that was the case with the old Crown Vics too

Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
After owning 2 Explorers, I don't know if I would want to own a 3rd one. The 2nd gen had its problems. (engine failure) My current 3rd gen has been nothing but a money pit. Personally I am pretty neutral on the Gen 5 models. I would consider a 2017 or newer since that was mostly a refresh with the newer tech (Sync 3) which too me is nicer than the older FMT Sync 2 systems. Also I believe it got some well needed component updates such as the PTU. I looked at the Edge. Nice vehicle. I enjoyed the drive. My current plan is thinking about waiting it out and seeing what the Bronco has in store. However, the Explorer does have room and in which we have been accustom to over the years. There is where small and mid class S/CUVs have lacked.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
After owning 2 Explorers, I don't know if I would want to own a 3rd one. The 2nd gen had its problems. (engine failure) My current 3rd gen has been nothing but a money pit. Personally I am pretty neutral on the Gen 5 models. I would consider a 2017 or newer since that was mostly a refresh with the newer tech (Sync 3) which too me is nicer than the older FMT Sync 2 systems. Also I believe it got some well needed component updates such as the PTU. I looked at the Edge. Nice vehicle. I enjoyed the drive. My current plan is thinking about waiting it out and seeing what the Bronco has in store. However, the Explorer does have room and in which we have been accustom to over the years. There is where small and mid class S/CUVs have lacked.
This is a concern that's nagging me to death right now on all of Ford's SUV's and CUV's.

I know two people who are totally pissed about their Escapes, in and out of the shop. Numerous Explorer issues, my neighbor had an Edge bought back and has a 2019 that's starting to give some issues. I know three people who had Edge's with the 3.5L and had to have the engines replaced due to water pump failure.

I'm not sure what's going on with Ford or if all of my friends and customers are coincidental flukes. Either way, I'm not so sure that I want to deal with any of this.

My truck and Expedition have each been a blessing and I've enjoyed countless miles free of issues.

We're going to be in the market this fall and my bride is looking at RAV 4's.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:33 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
This is a concern that's nagging me to death right now on all of Ford's SUV's and CUV's.

I know two people who are totally pissed about their Escapes, in and out of the shop. Numerous Explorer issues, my neighbor had an Edge bought back and has a 2019 that's starting to give some issues. I know three people who had Edge's with the 3.5L and had to have the engines replaced due to water pump failure.
I'm not sure what's going on with Ford or if all of my friends and customers are coincidental flukes. Either way, I'm not so sure that I want to deal with any of this.
My truck and Expedition have each been a blessing and I've enjoyed countless miles free of issues.
We're going to be in the market this fall and my bride is looking at RAV 4's.
Wow At least I am not alone. I don't blame anyone looking in another direction. My wife has Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. We both like that car. When looking for a car, we didn't even look at a Ford Fusion Hybrid. My wife had a rental Sonata when the money pit broke down. She liked it... enough to consider looking at getting one. We wound up buying one when she got back from her trip. Her vehicle is fully loaded with all the goodies. We have gone on a number of road trips with it. At 6' I can sit both in the front and back seats. The back seat in her car is nicer than Explorer's past and current IMO. I have been stuck in the back of my boss's 5th gen a number of times. Also in the back of a 4th gen and 3rd gen. All of them seem to be uncomfortable for an SUV. Somehow in the Edge, I can sit in the back with comfort. Go figure. A while back when I was deciding what to do with my current Explorer. I revisited a vehicle purchase. I saw an Edge that was on the cheaper side since it had more miles than most in that model year I was looking at. When I finally got to the dealership to look at the car, the vehicle was dead on the lot. The sales rep was like come back another day and we will have the car ready for you. I was like OK. You don't even have a jump box. Pass. However, I started looking at Hyundai Tuscons'. They are pretty much the CUV of my wife's car. I would be OK with that. It gives us a bit more room than the car. Problem is finding a nice low mile loaded model. A couple of dealerships around here move them as fast as they come in. A friend of mine has a Rav 4. He is 6'5" and he has no problem with the vehicle. He loves it.