starter dragging when hot - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

starter dragging when hot

Old 10-05-2018, 03:56 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
starter dragging when hot

I have this issue when restarting my 91 truck after briefly shutting it off after driving several miles. Battery and alternator check great and truck starts strong when it has sat up. Cables seem to be in good shape and are not loose at the terminals. My research shows that it could be the starter brushes or the starter solenoid or more than likely a bad motor ground. I would like to check the motor ground first and I just read the other day, I think from Subford or Brad, that said the ground was hard to get to on the 460. Anyone know where it is or close to where it is so I can check it out and clean it? Thanks Sandy

Old 10-06-2018, 08:46 AM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think the battery cable grounds to block in front of the starter if that is what you are looking for. Bad connections make heat.

I have had a battery fail like this. If you have a load tester, take it with you. Load test the battery when the starter is dragging. Or use a voltmeter.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HardScrabble View Post
I think the battery cable grounds to block in front of the starter if that is what you are looking for. Bad connections make heat.

I have had a battery fail like this. If you have a load tester, take it with you. Load test the battery when the starter is dragging. Or use a voltmeter.
Will do tomorrow. I have to use a multimeter and as I understand, before I drive it I should check the battery for full charge, which I am almost sure is good and has been. Then after I get it hot I can hook up VM and use the solenoid to turn it over to check starting voltage. Is that the drill you recommend with just a VM? Thanks Sandy

Old 10-06-2018, 06:32 PM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yup. Check the volts under a load. Use the starter, blower, headlights, etc for a load. Full charge, no load, is theoretically 2.1V/cell = 12.6V. Some of my better batteries hold 13V+ overnight. Compare to another vehicle.

Maybe swap batteries for another test.

I always rebuilt my own truck starters. Once one failed and had a problem with the windings. Couldn't economically rebuild that one. Don't clearly remember the details but vaguely it seems like that starter motor lost power, turned slowly, sounded sick.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 PM
stephandrusty
Freshman User
stephandrusty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sandy, after checking all of the above, you may want to look at putting a heat shield over or on the starter. I had a problem like yours and a heat shield fixed it.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Mudsport96
Posting Guru
Mudsport96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine was doing this about a month ago. I pulled the starter and took it apart, cleaned it all out and greased (lightly) the gear reduction set and it's worked fine for a month... but the brushes are worn and its starting to do it again.
If you can yank the starter and take it apart, look at the inside and it will give you an idea if it's the starter going bad or a ground issue

Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
I ran the truck to full running temp after checking the battery which was 12.7 V cold. After hot with blower going and lights on I shorted the starter solenoid and the meter went to 9.1 and I had the key to run and the truck did in fact start. Voltage showed about 9.1V. I don't know if I should have had the key in another position but I did. After testing, the battery would not turn over to start and I had to wait about 5 min for it to barely start.

Came home and found the following video
. I think my meter is the same as he used and I did the test on the video since I had the min/max button. After the test the meter showed 12.7 with no load. Had my wife start it ( starter dragged) and it started and read the min/max and it showed only 5.1V when it started. I think both test prove the battery is my problem. Agree or not?? Thanks Sandy

Old 10-07-2018, 04:16 PM
PhilD13
New User
PhilD13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the voltage reading at the battery when the engine is running? It should be around 14.6 - 14.8 if alternator is working.
Battery should be 12.6 or better after sitting overnight.
I just went through something very similar on a vehicle and it wound up the battery had a bad cell.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:48 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
Thanks Phil. Within the past few days I have checked the voltage to make sure the alternator is charging the battery and it has always shown about 14.7V running. All looks fine except the load test. Sandy

Old 10-07-2018, 06:49 PM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
Good chance you found your problem. Good next step would be to swap in another battery for testing. Auto parts stores can sometimes load test a battery too.

There are usually some discount coupons kicking around if you run a search. The diesel guys buy big buck batteries so they share deal info sometimes. Sometimes you can talk them into a discount for same brand battery, loyalty discount. Walmart even did that for me once. Never hurts to ask.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
OK I will use the battery from my 95 tomorrow and make the same run and see what happens before I try to be a coal burner. Thanks Sandy

Old 10-08-2018, 04:05 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
Well I put my 95's battery in the 91 and made the same run as yesterday. Stopped in the same place as yesterday with same results. It was very slow and straining to start and finally it wouldn't turn over at all. Let it cool off and it barely started and came home. It starts fine cold. I am going to take the starter in for a test and I have not been able to get the top bolt that goes in from the back of the starter off. It is a 460. With the exhaust and frame and all the other stuff in there I have no room to turn a ratchet or wrench when I can get it on. I have plenty of tools, extensions and swivels to rig something up but I have had no luck yet.

Anyone have a trick to get this *&^^ bolt out? Thanks Sandy

Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
Starter was the problem. Thanks for input. Sandy

Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 PM
Mudsport96
Posting Guru
Mudsport96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good to hear you got it before it completely quit. Mine is dragging down again and I keep putting it off. It's going to get me, and it will be when its snowy....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.