Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Baby needs a new pair of shoes. LTX M/S 2 vs LTX A/T 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Baby needs a new pair of shoes. LTX M/S 2 vs LTX A/T 2

So Stinky really treats the Michelins well, except for that whole overpower the rear traction thing. The fronts have zero weird wear, have plenty of miles left in them, yet I never rotated them. The rears like to spin when I'm trying to ever-so-gently accelerate. I'm sure it's the truck and tire, not my right foot.

While the marshmallow-lookin' guy has treated me well, I was slightly underwhelmed by the winter traction. I'm wondering which "quiet" tire will give me moderate winter traction, while keeping the tread life reasonably close to the M/S 2s. I can throw a few miles under the bus, if it means a significantly better grip on snowy roads. Options?

I won't go to Les Schwab with the truck - ever. I use Les Schwab for everything 1/2 ton or less, but they have failed me miserably with the heavy stuff.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I got something 90k miles from the LTX AT/2. They didn't do well in snow though. But man did they wear well!

I put on these by Cooper....we shall see.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Rich,
I run Cooper A/TW’s which is their year round AT severe weather winter tire. I have a 2wd Dually so traction trumps tire life to some degree. I going on 35K on these tires and they have been impressive! Several years ago coming back from Moab several of us got caught in a Spring Snow Storm on I70 driving through the mountains. Everyone was in 4wd and I thought I’d need to throw my chains on but I kept moving. I was really impressed with how they hooked up in the snow in the mountains, going was very slow but I could stop and still get moving again. I really sucked with keeping the balanced and rotated which is part of the reason for the Centramatic Balancers. I don’t see you getting the same mileage out of them as you get with the Michelin’s but the traction will be far better.

Cooper Discoverer A/TW Tire Test

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...re-review.html

Old 10-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I run the Cooper ST MAXX, but never will they see snow. I have about 30K on them so far and they are about 1/2 - 2/5 down on tread. They have done very well for me in mud, wet grass, muddy grass and similar situations. I know snow is a different animal though, so maybe someone up north that is running them can chime in.

I have my eye on the Toyo M55 (I think that is what they were) that Adam/Z31Freakify mounted on one of his service trucks though. They are a close contender for the next set of tires.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
The M55 are mountain snowflake certified. I will look at those next year in 275/70/18.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I run the Cooper ST MAXX, but never will they see snow. I have about 30K on them so far and they are about 1/2 - 2/5 down on tread. They have done very well for me in mud, wet grass, muddy grass and similar situations. I know snow is a different animal though, so maybe someone up north that is running them can chime in.

I have my eye on the Toyo M55 (I think that is what they were) that Adam/Z31Freakify mounted on one of his service trucks though. They are a close contender for the next set of tires.
M55...nice, but boy howdy.$$$

Old 10-05-2018, 06:03 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Yeah, $1400 for forf is no joke. I also like the Wrangler duratrac.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I'm also in the market for tires. Narrowed it down to Goodyear T/A KO2 and Toyo M-55, both in 285 size. Price on the Toyo is a shocka. Main fear with the M-55 is their heavy weight will hurt an already rough ride. I expect them to last longer than the KO2 and take more of a beating. I doubt I'll air them down. Also, I'm not so concerned with snow.

I'll recommend Michelins all day for car use (wife's Forester for instance) but not so much for a heavy truck.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
We don't have snow around here, but there is alot of sand and mud in the job sites and those tires do really well in the grip department.
Driver hasn't come to the shop yet to take picture's, tires have not been rotated for more than a year so the fronts are feathered with lots of thread and the rears are straight but at 80 PSI and no load sometimes the center has worn more than the sides bit still has alot of meat in them.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Since I'm in Michigan and had much more power then stinky (another jab hahaha) and wanted all the things you're looking at and did weeks of research. I wanted grip on wet/dry roads, good traction for snow because we get abundance amounts a handful of times a year all at once. The kicker is I wanted more of a street tire since my truck didn't go off road anymore since I lowered it back to stock height. I ended up going with Hancock Dynapro ATMs... they have the highest speed rating, mileage and all around best grip for everything I drive in and then some. I was never so impressed by a tire Rich! They grabbed the road like no other tire on my truck and it wasn't near as easy to break the tires loose! They're grippy in any and all situations. So if you haven't had a look at them please do!

I went with 325/60R18s i think it was so the equlivant to 33x13 and the previous tire was 35x12.5s

Old 10-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Since I'm in Michigan and had much more power then stinky (another jab hahaha) and wanted all the things you're looking at and did weeks of research. I wanted grip on wet/dry roads, good traction for snow because we get abundance amounts a handful of times a year all at once. The kicker is I wanted more of a street tire since my truck didn't go off road anymore since I lowered it back to stock height. I ended up going with Hancock Dynapro ATMs... they have the highest speed rating, mileage and all around best grip for everything I drive in and then some. I was never so impressed by a tire Rich! They grabbed the road like no other tire on my truck and it wasn't near as easy to break the tires loose! They're grippy in any and all situations. So if you haven't had a look at them please do!

I went with 325/60R18s i think it was so the equlivant to 33x13 and the previous tire was 35x12.5s
We run the Hankooks Dynapros ATM’s on the GF’s Jeep Commander. It is an outstanding tire, excellent grip and wear. She’s going on 5 years running them from May 1 to December 1, I have her run Hankooks Ipikes for winter because well she’s from Florida. LOL I’d run that tire too without hesitation.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350

We run the Hankooks Dynapros ATM’s on the GF’s Jeep Commander. It is an outstanding tire, excellent grip and wear. She’s going on 5 years running them from May 1 to December 1, I have her run Hankooks Ipikes for winter because well she’s from Florida. LOL I’d run that tire too without hesitation.
I went through 4 sets of tires with my other truck. The thingwould just spin them. I was on the expressway doing 65 once with a set of "good tires" from the reviews o read and people saying they were grippy... I eased onto the skinny pedal and broke the tires loose in the rain! Talk about the pucker affect after working 16 hours trying to drive home half asleep! I can't remember what kind they were though! I'm all about ATMs now!

We run coppers on the wife's jeep GC mostly AT3s because they last so long. She's had a set of STTs and loved them but they wore so fast and got so loud it would make my ears want to bleed!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Rich I would tell you the Goodyear Duratracs as well, they have given me great service have are severe weather related however you lost me at quiet. I don’t think they are loud by any means but can hear them a bit.

I had a set of Matercraft AXT’s on the 6.4 that provided good traction in the winter and were quiet. They are made by Cooper and similar to the AT/3 tire I believe.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm not sure how these will be in the snow, but they are very quiet (as quiet as the previous Michelins) and excellent in the rain #Hurricane Florence.

As @Colorado350 mentioned the Hankook DynaPros are quiet, good in rain and snow.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:12 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Does anyone know or have experience to say if the M55's have enough longevity to justify the price? While expensive, the value could be there if they last 2x compared to regular truck tires. I'm seeing maybe 40K miles on tires with towing before they're done. What are you guys seeing?

Quick Reply: Baby needs a new pair of shoes. LTX M/S 2 vs LTX A/T 2