Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Driving observations from my neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:15 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Driving observations from my neighbor

My neighbors 2017 F250 with 6.7 was rear-ended pretty hard two days ago. The hitch was folded straight down, spare tire pushed forward and pinned into differential, bending a shock, shoving the DR side of the axle forward and into brake lines along with tailgate and bed damage. Still has to go to the shop for a thorough inspection. As such, he was in a bind to be on a job (contractor) at 0700 the next morning. So, I loaned him my truck and he loaded up his tools and spend the day driving it including towing his dump trailer. I found his observations interesting:
  • Drives like a truck
  • Loud as hell
  • Felt like I was in a low-rider
  • 2K rpm was 70, vs 80 in my truck so I was in the slow lanes
  • Brakes suck
  • Has more torque
  • Chirped second gear towing my trailer when I had to get on it
  • Thanks for loaning it but I was scared to wreck it so take it back
Haha! He drove it in the economy tune so it's not that strong fwiw.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:24 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
  • Paid In Full

Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
My responses to his comments are below. I would have said something similar, based on my relationship with him and they would have gotten more "jabby" if the relationship was better vs. just a neighbor.
  • Drives like a truck - Like it should...
  • Loud as hell - It is a 7.3 diesel from 20 years ago, felt good right...
  • Felt like I was in a low-rider - No comment, just laughter...
  • 2K rpm was 70, vs 80 in my truck so I was in the slow lanes - Use the pedal on the right, the skinny one to reach desired speed...
  • Brakes suck - I bet you I could get some great brakes for an additional $55,000 and 6 years of payments...
  • Has more torque - Thanks...
  • Chirped second gear towing my trailer when I had to get on it - Really, that was the economy tune...
  • Thanks for loaning it but I was scared to wreck it so take it back - Thanks, don't like people driving my one of a kind truck anyway...

Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
If you asked for his opinion then thats one thing, but if volunteered...give me my keys back!!
3 things i dont loan out
A) My Truck
B) Money
C) Tools

Family i bend for what i stand behind even though the $$$ seems to always take foorreevveerr to get back

Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 AM
slowsure
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What’s wrong with people!
Your neighbor should tell his grand kids he got to drive a l99 once. ��

Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Uh... it's a truck going to a job site. The workers were probably thinking "Now that's a real truck - better than that powder puff of a diesel has."

Old 10-05-2018, 08:14 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
If you asked for his opinion then thats one thing, but if volunteered...give me my keys back!!
3 things i dont loan out
A) My Truck
B) Money
C) Tools

Family i bend for what i stand behind even though the $$$ seems to always take foorreevveerr to get back
Hey bud, I'm gonna need to use your truck this weekend. Cool? Oh, could you spot me a 20 for fuel? Also, can I get a wrench set to take with in case it breaks down? Thaaaaaannnnnnks Timmy!!!

Originally Posted by slowsure
What’s wrong with people!
Your neighbor should tell his grand kids he got to drive a l99 once. ��
Exactly.....
Originally Posted by Tugly
Uh... it's a truck going to a job site. The workers were probably thinking "Now that's a real truck - better than that powder puff of a diesel has."

Annnnnnd exactly.....

Does this guy where panties too? SMH....

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
LOL at the responses. He's a great guy, don't misunderstand that and we give each other grief all the time as good friends do. I told him things like, well, it is a man's truck. It didn't cost $73K, paid for, etc... it's all good there. I do not loan my valuable things to hardly anyone, but he is an exception.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Friendly rivalries and some good ribbing are always fun IMO. The "has more torque" was interesting though.

Everybody has what they like and are willing to defend their decisions. Some of the debates are timeless: new vs. old, gas vs. diesel, Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge (Ram), etc. My dad got his '06 2500 D-Max about 4 months after I got my F-250 and it's been friendly jabs for over a decade now. His truck is "best in class" in every category except for personality and fun-to-driveability and in the end we both drive a 3/4 ton diesel pickup (the apple didn't fall far from the tree).

My wife has no interest in driving my truck and the only other two people I would give the keys to are my dad (he has one and knows how to drive a big truck) and my brother (he knows not to come back if something happens ).

Some prefer payments on something newer (wi-fi, BT, A/C in the seats, touch screen command center) and some of us prefer to buy parts to keep something older afloat (only 3 computers, a platform that I can work on in my driveway, no annoying bells/chimes/warnings).

In the end we're all (Ford) truck guys so it's all in fun.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:50 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
How many of us have been asked "is that a 7.3?", which is usually followed up after your reply "Yup", "man, I should have never sold mine..."

Old 10-05-2018, 12:59 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
How many of us have been asked "is that a 7.3?", which is usually followed up after your reply "Yup", "man, I should have never sold mine..."
i find it that, im the one starting the small talk, especially at the pump..everybody is either afraid to talk, acknowledge being spoke to or just have their head so far up their ****..at the end, i pump my vhest with chin up and say, yeah, its a 7.3

Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM
viperman86
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the price of new trucks is absolutely ludicrous

I just sold my 15 ecoboost, I loved that truck, it was fast as hell. Super quiet and smooth. But I wasn't liking the payments.

Now I got the old farm truck LOL ...

Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I don't get asked that any more since I put 6.0L badges on mine (cheaper and looks better IMO). I usually get people looking down their nose at me including other Powerstroke people but mostly Cummins guys. The GM kids are too busy racing around like they're in a Corvette to notice me.

I get my share of eyeballs from the hybrid/electric/millenial crowd in a parking lot. Apparently the HEUI "symphony" automatically means pollution, global warming, and clubbing baby seals.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
i find it that, im the one starting the small talk, especially at the pump..everybody is either afraid to talk, acknowledge being spoke to or just have their head so far up their ****..at the end, i pump my vhest with chin up and say, yeah, its a 7.3
When I was working on my truck not too long ago at the military base Skills Center (auto hobby shop) a guy pulled in a few stalls down and was going to replace his water pump in his '00 F-250. He was having difficulty pulling the fan clutch off (I wasn't being nosy...everybody could hear his frustration). When I got to a stopping point I walked over, complimented him on his truck, and offered my fan clutch tools for him to use to help him out. He said "I don't think your tools will work on my 7.3L". When I told him mine was a 7.3L with different badging he gladly borrowed the tools and we talked for an hour or so.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:36 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
All. The. Time.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:37 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by brian42

I get my share of eyeballs from the hybrid/electric/millenial crowd in a parking lot. Apparently the HEUI "symphony" automatically means pollution, global warming, and clubbing baby seals.
I have TOTALLY experienced this. True story....two times now I have had a person standing by my truck while idling to tell me how much it stinks and how I am the reason pollution is such a problem. I just laughed, which really made things better ....LOL

Quick Reply: Driving observations from my neighbor