New work truck with 6.7 questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

New work truck with 6.7 questions

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM
mattt181
Senior User
mattt181 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Since my 2006 F450 4wd 6.0 CC LWB stake bed truck was stolen and appears to never be coming back, I am looking at replacement trucks with the 6.7 diesel. I have excluded looking at 08-10 with the 6.4 because I've heard and read all bad stuff about that engine. Am I best to avoid the 6.4 like the plague?

I have questions on the 6.7 and figured I'd ask the experts here. Is there any particular year of 6.7 to search out or avoid?

My previous truck had the 6.0 and I was learned in what it needed, what to do, etc. I'd like to get up to speed on the most likely replacement with a 6.7 diesel. What are the shortcomings of the 6.7 or problem areas that need attention? The 6.0 had it's injector issues, EGR cooler issue, oil cooler issue, head gasket problem etc. What is that list for the 6.7? Is there any particular year 6.7 to avoid or embrace?

Is there any year 6.7 Ford F450/550 that does not require DEF? It seems like in the cursory reading I have done that the intro of DEF also introduced more emissions crap and the first few years were bug filled with getting that new emissions system sorted out. That could have been on a Cummins though.....I can't remember for sure. Do the first few years of 6.7 not use DEF?

I looked at a '15 F450 and really don't remember seeing another filler for the DEF. Maybe I missed it.

So yeah, this thread is a fishing expedition. I'm all ears and eyes for 6.7 info, whether it's minnow sized or Blue Fin tuna sized. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:49 PM
mxer0022
Postmaster
mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6.7s are a very reliable engine. All have def but it is cheap. If you scroll through the forum you will find very few habitual problems with this engine. The biggest ones would be the turbo and dropping valves in the '11-'12 model years. The '11-'14 model years had sequential turbos then in the '15+ years they switched to a single turbo which brought a boost to HP and torque numbers. The most reliable of the years, though not by much, would be the '15+ years. That being said there are plenty of '11-'14s with well over 100K problem free miles. Also remember that this is a place where people do come when they have problems so dont make the assumption that all the trucks are having issues. This is a great power plant and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
The 6.7L has been a great engine. If your budget allows, look for a 2015+ but otherwise a 2012+ will work fine. I don't know as many details about the C&C models. I think the C&C models in 2011 had higher chances of busted exhaust valves than the pickup version of the engines. My source is my memory and discussion with the diesel tech at a local shop that has worked on my pickup where they have repaired more early C&C models than pickups so take that for what it's worth. The C&C have less HP but still plenty to get jobs done.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:31 AM
mattt181
Senior User
Thank you. So am I reading this correctly that I don't have to "fix" the 6.7 how I had to fix the 6.0 to make it run good and be a little more "bullet proof?"

Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Correct. If you do a lot of city work with your truck (stop/go/idling) the auxiliary issues this engine will have (eventually) is clogged EGR and more active regenerations but that's nothing new. If you hook up to an equipment trailer and travel highways, the truck will simply run and do it's thing. DEF is a non-issue, you want a DEF truck over a non-DEF truck but only RAM was the hold out for a year or two anyways. Ford and GM went to DEF models for the 2011MY.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I'd shoot for a 2013 and above for the larger brakes. A 2015 and up would be ideal for the changes mentioned.

Radiators seem to be the weak point cheap.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:43 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
My 15 F250 has been a great truck for me so far. I do have the oil pan leak and it's currently in the shop for repair but not all trucks have this. Motor is strong and reliable. i pull a 13,000# 5 th wheel all over and truck loves to work. I believe they gave the the 16's more HP and torque.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:05 PM
mxer0022
Postmaster
mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
I believe they gave the the 16's more HP and torque.
It was in 2015 when the HP and torque numbers jumped after they went to the single turbo instead of the sequential that was in the 2011-2014 models.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:27 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
For C&C models, the HP is the same for 2011-2016 at 300 HP. 2017+ is 330 HP.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 PM
mxer0022
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
For C&C models, the HP is the same for 2011-2016 at 300 HP. 2017+ is 330 HP.
you are correct. I keep forgetting about the performance number difference between C&C and regular trucks. I guess it just seems like they should all be the same.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
The early 2011 had some valve problems as noted. All of the 2011 had coolant connectors to the turbo and Oil connectors to the turbo that seem to fail. Pull the turbo and replace a few connectors. Cheap parts but pulling the turbo was the main labor expense.
2011-2014 trucks had some egt sensor failures. But software updates have pretty much fixed those problems. If your 6.7L has not had it's software reflashed, get that done.

Typical suspension body issues that are not different from what your 6.0L had. Bearing /hubs failing around 100,000 miles, Brakes needing replacing mostly because slid pins never get greased and seize. The occassional leaking radiator. I had a bad sensor in the EGR return line fail on my 2015 truck, But I understand they fixed that in either the 16 or 17 model years.

Buy a 2012 or later and enjoy

Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 PM
mattt181
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the info. I have to say I am shocked that Ford got the 6.7 that right and that it doesn't need to be Bullet Proof'd, or studded, or re-programmed. I hear little issues to watch for, but nothing like I had to learn on my old 6.0. Is the factory programming decent on the 6.7? After Ford dealerships kept flashing my 6.0, the truck turned into a turd and I paid to have my FICM repaired and re-flashed to bring it back to where it was power wise when it was new.

Kper05.....can I ask why you said that you want a DEF truck over a non DEF truck?

Am I reading y'all correctly that Cab and Chassis models had a lower output (guessing via the tune) from the factory? Since I am only looking at F450 & F550 that pretty much means I will be corralled into a lower output engine. My old truck was a 13' stake bed body so the ~200" wheelbase truck is what I start with. Bummer to hear that Ford de-tunes the F450 F550 C&C :-\

Old 10-05-2018, 03:44 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
I don't know the exact amount but various modules on my truck have been flashed at least 10 times over eight years (PCM/TCM mostly). The first 32,000 miles had the 2-3 shift issues and it was at Ford many times receiving firmware updates until FoMoCo engineers figured out the issues for those of us owners with the early build shift problems. No bricked modules so far.

Not all manufactures moved to DEF with the 2011MY (trucks started arriving around April 2010) when Ford and GM made the change. However, all had to conform to the emissions requirements which meant they had to use other means to control NOx output or be non-compliant. It's my understanding that EGR reduces NOx so if the SCR systems aren't treating it post combustion, then more of this effort must be placed on the engine (such as more EGR). More EGR can't be good for these engines and more EGR could reduce MPG vs allowing a separate downstream system to handle the reduction of NOx. Considering my EGR cooler plugged at 105,000 miles, it makes sense to me that less EGR is preferred because that's less exhaust through the cooler.

Of course this is a non-issue with models such as 2015+ today. All use DEF in the SCR system and new heavy equipment follows tier 4 as well. For example, back in 2011 and I think a few years after, I remember RAM trucks advertised about how they don't require DEF "reducing cost and effort" of refilling the DEF. They had DEF in R&D and we know they have it now (2014MY possibly?) because it is one of the better options to meet requirements. RAM did have a downstream adsorber catalyst but I don't see how they avoided additional EGR. In hindsight, the various DEF debates seven to eight years ago were silly. My point is, since diesel's must have these emission systems in stock form, DEF systems are not a pain to maintain when operating normally. The various SCR systems are expensive to repair but engines are expensive as well.

For those who are more versed on this topic, maybe they can explain better or even correct where I am wrong.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One of the things I definitely recommend you do is replace the Cold Side Intercooler pipe. There are a few other things that you can do but that seems to be the most common failure. DEF is a PIA but until they figure out a better way to reduce emissions we're stuck with it. You won't be sorry you bought a 6.7 though, the thing is a beast.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
As everyone says the 2015+ models are the better of the 6.7 models. There were alot of upgrades that went into the engine that make them more reliable.

From what I remember:

-Injectors
-Fuel system
-Turbo
-Revised HPFP
-A few other things I'm forgetting that made a huge difference compared to the 2011-2014 trucks.

No more valves or glow plugs dropping, no more HPFP self-destructing, no more turbo issues, no injector related failures. I'm not saying the 2015 trucks are bulletproof, but you hear way less complaints about the 2015+ trucks than you do the 2011-2014 trucks. I've spoken to a few fleet managers that have these trucks in their fleet and they're very happy with them. The only thing they cost them is regular maintenance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: