Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Garages and Taxes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Garages and Taxes.

I heard a rumor the county was planning on changing the tax laws on garages so they could put an additional tax on you if they determined you were using it for a living space. Couldn't find anything from the county on this, then I talked to someone on a city council. They didn't do it this year, but tabled it. Probably because it's an election year. It's going to be very loosely written, and will mostly be up to the assessment office. So if I had of put that Porcelain tile floor down, I may have been screwed. Even though I use the garage daily for vehicles. So before you trick your garage out, or start using it for storage, you might want to check on this.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:07 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Well, those types of laws tend to be very local but usually the intent is to prevent someone from turning the loft of a garage into an apartment they can rent out. Actually, in almost every locale you'd be hard put to LEGALLY build a living space in a garage that's actually used as a vehicle garage. Try getting past the applicable health, fire and electrical code requirements.
I doubt the type of floor in your garage will cause any problems unless its broadloom carpet. Can't see that an inspector will claim its a living space unless next to your pickup there's a king size bed and a porta-potty.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:36 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
OP is in Maryland. Hard to say what the laws are there. In CA, any living spaces must be separated from the vehicle area with 5/8s drywall, and fire-proof caulking, and a sealed up fire door if you have direct access.

If you build, rebuild, remodel, add-on etc, and change the value of a structure, garage or not, you are always subject to reevaluation by any property tax authority. I don't see how, regardless of flooring, you could be tagged for "living space" in the vehicle portion of a garage. IMO if they thought you were housing people in that area they should red-tag the building the fine the heck out of you.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My ideal house would be a six car garage with a bed in the corner. Lol Might be a good idea to put some dark tint on the garage windows and doors to keep their prying eyes out.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:12 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
You can build an apartment above a garage in many if not most locals as long as it meets zoning requirements including if it is accessory or non accessory structure and if there is sufficient power, water and sewer connections available.
In my locale, a garage lid with living space above and their corresponding support posts must be dry walled with 5/8" X board with 1.5" screws @ 12" centers and have a minimum fire coat on the joints, corners and screws. Insulation of lid/floor is also rqd. in this circumstance.

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
OP is in Maryland. Hard to say what the laws are there. In CA, any living spaces must be separated from the vehicle area with 5/8s drywall, and fire-proof caulking, and a sealed up fire door if you have direct access.

If you build, rebuild, remodel, add-on etc, and change the value of a structure, garage or not, you are always subject to reevaluation by any property tax authority. I don't see how, regardless of flooring, you could be tagged for "living space" in the vehicle portion of a garage. IMO if they thought you were housing people in that area they should red-tag the building the fine the heck out of you.
Absolutely correct and good info.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 AM
alltrucksexpert
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not think that replacing the floor in the garage will affect the decision whether you are subject to this tax. Anyway, how will they determine this?
"Oh, you have a coffee maker here ?! Pay taxes!" lol

Old 08-19-2019, 10:04 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by alltrucksexpert
I do not think that replacing the floor in the garage will affect the decision whether you are subject to this tax. Anyway, how will they determine this?
"Oh, you have a coffee maker here ?! Pay taxes!" lol
All it takes is one neighbor who enjoys being an ***hole and one anonymous call to the building department to cause you a world of problems.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:37 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
All it takes is one neighbor who enjoys being an ***hole and one anonymous call to the building department to cause you a world of problems.
Ya.. Amen to that
solution.... move out of the City

Old 08-20-2019, 04:50 AM
alltrucksexpert
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
I never understood such neighbors. Do they have a personal life? It's alien to me, it's better to be friends with neighbors

Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
My intent as we further age is to convert my garage to living space which will ultimately add a little over 400 s/f to my already existing 2000 s/f home. My house is a two story and we will eventually convert so all of our needs are down stairs. I'm finding that it'll be cheaper in the long run to do this than to sell and buy a smaller one story home. My climate system is substantial enough to support a small addition to living space.

In my case, the added taxes would be a small price to pay versus starting a new mortgage.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 PM
On Holiday
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Living spaces are above garages all over the country, exact codes will be based on where you live. The thickness, type and number of layers of drywall at the walls and ceilings will be a factor.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by On Holiday
Living spaces are above garages all over the country, exact codes will be based on where you live. The thickness, type and number of layers of drywall at the walls and ceilings will be a factor.
Right ... and the additional floor space above the Garage is then added to your Floor Plan for Tax purposes, But the Actual Garage Floor Space remains a Garage and is not Taxed as additional Floor space Unless you convert the Garage to living Space.

Just like a Basement is generally not Taxed as it is not included in your total Floor Space.

I speak in General as I don't know All State laws YMMV

Old 08-23-2019, 07:29 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by lonewolf_

Just like a Basement is generally not Taxed as it is not included in your total Floor Space.

I speak in General as I don't know All State laws YMMV
That's interesting and honestly not something I'd ever considered. I would guess about 98% of any lower level conversion is not reported to the tax man

Having a living space above a dedicated original-built stand-alone garage would certainly entail a high level of separating and sealing the spaces to assure exhaust gases from vehicles not seeping into the living space. Certainly nothing less than one or more O2 detectors with fail-safe power sources would be at the top of recommended safety devices.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:35 AM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by JWA
That's interesting and honestly not something I'd ever considered. I would guess about 98% of any lower level conversion is not reported to the tax man
Out of sight, Out of Mind

I could see Tax issues possibly when the Home with a Non-Reported Basement Conversion was Sold thru a Realtor But I'm sure there are ways around that too.
It probably wouldn't bother the Seller but I bet the Buyer would get a Tax Kick in the Pants

Old 11-07-2019, 12:30 PM
cosmofennema
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in-process of updating my garage from 'one outlet, one bulb' to over 20 outlets and loads of light when the assesor came by (I'm in Wisconsin, and that's what they do. Refuse to be inspected and wtch what happens - it ain't pretty)
Sooo, since I noticed he didn't like my Rot/Lab mix's barking, I put him in the garage and let him bark his fool head off.
Then, after assesor was nearly done, I asked if he wanted to see the garage. "Um, er, uh, it's still a two car garage, right??" "Yup, it is." And off he went...

Cosmo