Garages and Taxes. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Garages and Taxes.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Aftrmidnite
Posting Guru
Aftrmidnite is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Garages and Taxes.

I heard a rumor the county was planning on changing the tax laws on garages so they could put an additional tax on you if they determined you were using it for a living space. Couldn't find anything from the county on this, then I talked to someone on a city council. They didn't do it this year, but tabled it. Probably because it's an election year. It's going to be very loosely written, and will mostly be up to the assessment office. So if I had of put that Porcelain tile floor down, I may have been screwed. Even though I use the garage daily for vehicles. So before you trick your garage out, or start using it for storage, you might want to check on this.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well, those types of laws tend to be very local but usually the intent is to prevent someone from turning the loft of a garage into an apartment they can rent out. Actually, in almost every locale you'd be hard put to LEGALLY build a living space in a garage that's actually used as a vehicle garage. Try getting past the applicable health, fire and electrical code requirements.
I doubt the type of floor in your garage will cause any problems unless its broadloom carpet. Can't see that an inspector will claim its a living space unless next to your pickup there's a king size bed and a porta-potty.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
OP is in Maryland. Hard to say what the laws are there. In CA, any living spaces must be separated from the vehicle area with 5/8s drywall, and fire-proof caulking, and a sealed up fire door if you have direct access.

If you build, rebuild, remodel, add-on etc, and change the value of a structure, garage or not, you are always subject to reevaluation by any property tax authority. I don't see how, regardless of flooring, you could be tagged for "living space" in the vehicle portion of a garage. IMO if they thought you were housing people in that area they should red-tag the building the fine the heck out of you.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM
jade79
Elder User
jade79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My ideal house would be a six car garage with a bed in the corner. Lol Might be a good idea to put some dark tint on the garage windows and doors to keep their prying eyes out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.