1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford Truck Procrastinators Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:47 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Beat me to it!
Well maybe so... especially if they saw me the night before.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Well I'm kinda thinking. I belong on here as well......my intention was once I got done my 49 f-4 I was going to get started on my 1949 8n........ it is disassembled and needs a head gasket...and I figured how's the time for a full restoration on it....my plan was to have that done by October......so now do to procrastination I will start it in the spring.....

Old 10-30-2018, 09:00 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I might have to resign from the Ford Truck Procrastinators Club.... Tonight I put on that fuel pump that has been sitting on my work bench since early June!

I bought it because my 55 would cut out at higher RPMs if I wound it out in 2nd or 3rd or floored it in 4th. Here's what I did to try to fix it at the end of May: rebuilt the carb, replaced the points (with an NOS set), condenser (with an NOS one), plugs, plug wires, distributor cap. This tune-up didn't help. I replaced the rubber fuel line thinking it was old and soft and collapsing. My mechanic buddy thought maybe the fuel pump could not pump enough gas when it needs it. The truck ran fine around town but I was afraid to drive it to Ford Carlisle and didn't. Since it ran well I didn't get around to doing it. Until late this afternoon.

And after a test drive.... no change! So what now? I guess I should've procrastinated a bit longer.....

Old 10-31-2018, 03:28 AM
fish pond
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
maybe something is fouled with vaccum advance, or tiny springs in distributor?
Greg

Old 10-31-2018, 03:06 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
I might fit in here too! lots of talk and no truck action. I developed a plan today to sell all my hobby stuff and convert a building into a work shop. Well I set that thought aside for another day. Was good to list all the junk I have collected! I should have been out working on my current orange project. But instead its more fun to get on here and see folks actually doing something!

Regards,
Chris

Old 01-12-2019, 05:43 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Another chapter closed on my Ford Truck Procrastinators Club story.

When I fixed up and painted my 54 the first time in 1999 I replaced the original hood with a better used one. When I bought rubberI bought the piece that hangs down from the underside of the hood towards the radiator. The used hood did not have the C-channel on it to attach the rubber with. And so I let it go.... Two years ago I got a length of C-channel made at a local sheet metal shop. It and the rubber piece laid on my workbench for those two years. This fall I started to do something about it.

I wasn't sure how to attach the C-channel to the hood flange. Another problem is that the hood flange is curved like the hood and the C-channel is straight. I thought of welding it on or trying panel adhesive. Someone here suggested I pop rivet it on. So the last several nights I have been working on it... I drilled holes in both the C-channel and the flange until the straight of the Channel and the curve of the hood flange got too far apart to get a hole and a rivet in both. I found out some of my rivets didn't hold. They were not long enough. I went to the hardware store to get longer rivets but they didn't have any longer ones. So I bought short bolts. SO I have a combination of 3 little bolts and two rivets holding the C-channel in place.

So after almost 20 years I have the hood to radiator rubber in place! Not bad. Next I have to work on making my stock 54 fan shroud fit the good used V-8 radiator the seller says he had in his 56. The radiator is like a half inch wider on each side.

Pics to follow.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Robert Long
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will have to get back to you at a later date.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:49 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Another procrastinated job finished!

I bought a good used radiator on eBay in 2017 for my 54. It was a good buy, $90 plus only $20 shipping. It came from a 56. I had it pressure checked at my local radiator shop. It was good.

And then it say in my garage for a long time. I didn't feel like going through all the trouble of draining the old one, and putting in the new one.

So after a year I took it to my local garage. The one brother called me and said my fan shroud didn't fit on the new radiator. I said it should, it is from
​​​​​a 56. He said the shroud is a little too narrow. He recommended putting on narrow pieces of sheet metal to widen it. I got two pieces like this.

Last week when I was looking at my clear fuel filter while the truck was running the fan just ever so slightly touched my finger! No blood but it scared the heck out of me! So scared that it gave me motivation to get the shroud on.

Today, the wife was away and I thought now is the time. I washed and dried the shroud then painted it, drained some antifreeze out, disconnected the radiator pipe and fan. After I got the shroud in place I could see that the shroud was just a bit too narrow. No extensions were needed I thought. But I needed help so I called my buddy Bill. Bill and I got it on with some pushing and pulling. We only had to elongate one hole by drilling.

So, it took me a year and one half to get the radiator in and another year and a half to get the shroud in place.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Keep this up, Abe, and some day we just might take your club card away.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:54 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Keep this up, Abe, and some day we just might take your club card away.
Thats what I was thinking too, was getting ready to scratch your name off this list, we will just move it down the list a ways. Just you better watch it though!

My name is still pretty much darn near the very top of this list. Maybe I should try to do something on the F6 soon.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:53 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I've had a pair of new rear main seals soaking in a container of motor oil for two months now. One of these days the soaking process will be complete, and then I'll have to drop the oil pan and tackle this job. We have had record breaking heat here this summer, so my motivation level is pretty darn low.
Soon it will be too cold out there. Maybe the oil drip isn't that bad. I have plenty of cardboard to chuck under the truck. Someday those seals will be done soaking................

Old 08-11-2020, 08:27 PM
buck5050
Tuned
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Yes , this is certainly my club,...........and when im not here I also belong to the sidetrack club, which I was recently elected Vice President, what an honor !!!!

Old 08-11-2020, 08:53 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
Well my door rubber is probably about 4 years old. Maybe I need to get that installed sometime soon.
I bought the window channels in 2017. Stopping the windows from rattling might be a good thing. Oh yeah, I have a new passenger side window, I need to install that before long. The window is cracked and might get worse someday. I've had the new window for a few years as well.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Wow joe, that's a lot of procrastination on several levels! It's easy to order stuff and let it sit there, isn't it?

Quick Reply: Ford Truck Procrastinators Club