Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

What hard cover tonneau cover towing a 5th wheel?

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 07:22 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
ShadowGrey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Ordered a 2019 F-350 6.8' bed and will be towing a 5th wheel. I am wanting a tri-fold hard cover to fold back when towing and fold down when not. Heard good things from Line-X truck Gear with it's life time warranty but is it just a rebranded Extang. Need it to fold forward (2 folds) enough to use with camper but not fold up (3 folds) and not see out the back window. What is your choice and why?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM
captcolour
Junior User
captcolour is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the Bakflip aluminum on both F-series. Works good and looks good. The F-350 has an 8' bed so no problem folding it twice with the 5th wheel attached. You may still be OK with the shorter bed. I had to flip the handle on the hitch to allow closing the cover with the hitch in the bed.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM
SecondChance
Senior User
SecondChance has a good reputation on FTE.SecondChance has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I have the Bakflip aluminum on both F-series. Works good and looks good. The F-350 has an 8' bed so no problem folding it twice with the 5th wheel attached. You may still be OK with the shorter bed. I had to flip the handle on the hitch to allow closing the cover with the hitch in the bed.
We also used a BakFlip three-piece rigid folding Tonneau on our Sierra 2500HD with 6.5' bed when towing our fifth wheel. Sorry - I don't remember which model of BakFlip. We were able to fold it twice and leave the remainder flat to protect whatever was in the front of the back. As long as no part of your hitch projects high enough to interfere with the cover closing, you'll be OK (sometimes release handles will point upward, etc.).

Rob

Old 10-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I don't have a hard cover, but it is the best soft cover I have ever seen and prefer it over a lot of hard covers I have seen.

Check it out if you feel inclined.

It is called Extang Revolution and I got a steal of a deal from Etrailer when I bought it.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Kaadk
Senior User
Kaadk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Went with the BakFlip MX4 on mine (because I couldn't beat the deal at the time). No problem towing, fold 3 panels forward and plenty of room. However, during non-towing, the MX4 isn't as dry as my old BakFlip G2 was on my Ram.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Why do you NEED it to fold down towards hitch when towing? I have the Peragon sliding cover (aluminum) which folds against the front of the bed. Only takes up 4" of that space when open all the way. They also have a nice discount for FTE members if you call before ordering and tell them. I have just contacted them and asked about them put a "brake" of some kind on it to hold it open while moving. They said it's on the list to discuss at next meeting.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:19 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
ShadowGrey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Why do you NEED it to fold down towards hitch when towing? I have the Peragon sliding cover (aluminum) which folds against the front of the bed. Only takes up 4" of that space when open all the way. They also have a nice discount for FTE members if you call before ordering and tell them. I have just contacted them and asked about them put a "brake" of some kind on it to hold it open while moving. They said it's on the list to discuss at next meeting.
To answer your question I am going to have an inbed aux transfer fuel tank where those panels fold down inside. I need one that folds up not down inside the bed...

Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Thank you for your response. I see your reasoning ! Hope you find what you need.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
These are from my 2015 F250 SB. SDS aux tank and Bakflip cover. Sounds like your going with the similar setup.
With my current F350 I'm looking at the Bakflip revolver. Looks rugged and secure and when rolled all the way open you can still see out the back window.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:29 PM
slapshot12
Senior User
slapshot12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Roll n Lock....you can adjust how far it opens for any load or 5er hitch. I've had one on my past 2 SD's and really like them. Plus, they lock up solid when closed.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:03 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the folding Bakflip F1 cover. It has four segments. The first three fold/stack on top of the fourth and I leave them there while towing. Obviously the clearance between the underside of the trailer and the tonneau is about 3” or so in tight turns.

Only the first, third, and fourth panels (counting from the tailgate) are pinned to the side-rails when the tonneau is closed. For security when traveling without the trailer, I add D-rings to the second panel (at the hinge) and rope it down to the in-bed tie-off points. This keeps it from fluttering at high speed and prevents folks from lifting the tonneau at that first folding hinge to get a peek.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:14 AM
pjones1969
Junior User
pjones1969 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pjones1969 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not a flip, I'm using the ReTrax Pro, I have modified a crossbody tool box to sit down in the bed between the canister and the hitch. Locks open in any position.

Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2018, 11:36 PM
First Dually
Senior User
First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.

Pace Edwards BedLocker. Electric. Locks anywhere from fully open to fully closed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.