Show off your shop or garage!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Show off your shop or garage!!

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM
[email protected]
SPONSOR
John@badassworkbench is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi Everyone
I thought it would be cool to start a thread where everyone can show off their home garage or shop. It can be a place to share photos of your shop or ask questions about how to set up your shop. Since my company is in the industry of garage storage it will be good for me to see what cool things you guys have done. Before I worked here I spent a lot of time as a fabricator and tech in both off road and road racing shops so I will also be happy to answer any questions that I can. So Lets See What You Got!!!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 11:12 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
I hate to admit it. But I have been pinning several on Pinterest.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
He is mine and may help others also.
All of this came from my small 1 car garage & basement work / storage area in CT.
One of the reasons we bought this house and land was "my garage" so I would not have any of my projects in the 2 car house garage and yes I failed.
My garage I can fit 1 car and 2 full size pick up trucks inside and have rood to work on 1 truck. To the right is the work shop / storage area.

The work bench was already in the garage work room and storage is on the other side of that wall.

There is a door to the right of the tool box to the workroom.

The work room, shelves are from 1 of the big box stores. I have 4 on the garage wall side along with the frig (got to have cold drinks when hot). I then have 3 only built to stand 3ft to make a large work table.

The wooden shelf was on the garage wall side, the other half went to the tractor shed for yard tools. What you can see in the back is a micro wave (got to reheat your coffee / tea when cold) and a low cabinet.
There is a door from out side into this work room to the right.

I also have 2 more shelve units like in my shop in the hose garage for storage there for hose things.
The only thing I don't like of the shelve units is they use crappy press board and over time they sag. The fix would be to use good old 1/2" or 3/4" ply wood.

I also have a good shop compressor, air dryer and 5 hose drops in the garage.

And what is a work bench with out air?

And yes I use my shop, cab off frame rebuild of an 81 F100 flare side.

Almost ready for paint7/4/18

The garage is not fancy but it works for me. Now just need heat / AC and a bath room and I would not need the house LOL
Dave ----

Old 11-21-2018, 01:22 PM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Hey Dave, I can bring my backhoe over and dig a hole for the outhouse...
Friend had a sink set up in his garage that doubled as a wash basin and a urinal.
Just get the height right so you don't have to stand on tippy toes..

Old 11-21-2018, 09:10 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GLR View Post
Hey Dave, I can bring my backhoe over and dig a hole for the outhouse...
Friend had a sink set up in his garage that doubled as a wash basin and a urinal.
Just get the height right so you don't have to stand on tippy toes..
The house is not that far yet.
Besides when I hit the john I also refill my hot tea mug to start the cycle all over.

I have 1 of my bay lights apart, bad ballast that I got yesterday, hope to get that together and get back on the body work.
Dave ----

Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
I’d replace the fluorescent lights with LED lights. Plenty of light, a fraction of the energy cost and long life.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 AM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford View Post
Id replace the fluorescent lights with LED lights. Plenty of light, a fraction of the energy cost and long life.
That's a great idea. In NY a couple of years ago, the power company had a grant to replace old lights. Friend who has a trailer restoration shop, had all the lights replaced with LEDs.Was so bright in some areas, so he eliminated every other one. His electric bill went way down.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by GLR View Post
That's a great idea. In NY a couple of years ago, the power company had a grant to replace old lights. Friend who has a trailer restoration shop, had all the lights replaced with LEDs.Was so bright in some areas, so he eliminated every other one. His electric bill went way down.
I have them in my garage. I have them over the bench, over the grinder and drill press and the big rolling tool chest. It is a small garage so it lights up a decent area. Eventually I'll have the whole garage done up. For what a replacement ballast costs you can buy a new fixture with 10,000 or so lifespan. It the lighting is so much better. Uses less electricity. All things I can get behind.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i converted my home shop to 4 foot LED lights. i used the "daylight" lights. they are so damn bright i only use 6 instead of the 9 old lights.
building here is 26X28
tool boxes and work desk:

other side of back wall with drill press, part cleaner tank, a 289 on the engine stand, and part of the 30 ton press:

view from rear to front door:

Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Chaosracing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chaosracing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

My new shop. 26'x38'x16' Built this past summer, slowly finishing the inside.

This shows 3 of the 5 4 foot LED shop lights I installed so far. I had originally set up for 3 rows of lights based off of flourescent, but then got these LED lights instead. I wasnt going to install more for a while, but wife pointed out some shadow along the walls, so I will be installing 4 more 4 foot LEDs along the sides.

My temporary shelving, tractor in the garage.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Chaos, nice looking garage.
If like most you will find out soon it is not big enough!
What you using to heat the place?
Dave ----

Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Chaosracing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chaosracing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah I already knew it wasnt big enough, but there were constraints. One day down the road, I might be able to put a bump in the back, but only like 8-10 feet by the width, unless I get rid of the tree right behind it.

I am planning on either a propane forced hot air of a radiant style like Hot Dawg. Currently I have a propane torpedo heater (my wife hates it because of the "smell" but she really hated diesel or kero units) and it heats it quick, but then it also gets cold again since the contents and floor are not heating up.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I also use a small propane torpedo heater and 40 lb tank.
It does a good job of heating my garage and it is not insulated.
I don't smell anything when running but then again many years of smelling body work & paint fumes killed my nose LOL.
Enjoy your garage
Dave ----

Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=FuzzFace2;18418439}
I don't smell anything when running but then again many years of smelling body work & paint fumes killed my nose LOL.
Enjoy your garage
Dave ----[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Thats how I am, what I consider normal garage/workshop smells, my wife hates and complains.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i have a 140k btu dual fuel torpedo heater for my shop. takes about 10 minutes to go from 30 to 80. then runs for 3-5 minutes every hour to keep it around 55 degrees.
it may smell a bit on first fire, but there is so many smells in there between the engines, parts washer, oils, diesel fuel, and other liquids you really can't smell it

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.