1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires from Craigslist--new but 10 yrs old ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most tire stores wouldn't even mount, fix or balance those tires. I would spend the little extra for "new" tires.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:02 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmerc
Most tire stores wouldn't even mount, fix or balance those tires. I would spend the little extra for "new" tires.
If your tires are less than 4/32" tread or over 6 years old a tire shop will recommend you replace them. Under 2/32" tread or over 10 years old they won't touch them and that includes the spare too. There's a reason for that as almost everybody else has mentioned.

You won't get a reputable tire shop to mount or balance them for you no matter how much tread there is or how nice they look.

Just my .02

Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd use them for off-road only. I wouldn't trust them at highway speeds.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
Prepared to get shot down in flames here but, when I bought my current truck (2000 F350 dually) it only had 19k KM's on the clock, this was only 4 years ago & it still had all 7 original tires. The truck was driven back from Spain to the UK (some 1500 miles) & I then put another 60k KM's on 4 of those same tires, 2 were changed due to cracks, another 4 were changed as they were getting low on tread, I still have the original spare! I'd be happy to run those tires but the price is far to high. You can buy "brand new" tires that are up to 3 years old.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Prepared to get shot down in flames here but, when I bought my current truck (2000 F350 dually) it only had 19k KM's on the clock, this was only 4 years ago & it still had all 7 original tires. The truck was driven back from Spain to the UK (some 1500 miles) & I then put another 60k KM's on 4 of those same tires, 2 were changed due to cracks, another 4 were changed as they were getting low on tread, I still have the original spare! I'd be happy to run those tires but the price is far to high. You can buy "brand new" tires that are up to 3 years old.
No flames from me, I'd have done the same thing.
Last month we had a flat on the wife's 01 pickup, pulled the 17 year old spare out from under the truck and finished the trip, first time it had been on the ground.
Bought a replacement tire for the alloy rim to go back on the truck and stuck the spare back under the bed.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Been there. Done that. More than once. (Slow learner). Have the shredded tire carcasses and wrecked fender to prove it.

"New" tires. Full depth and flawless tread. Even had the little "knobbies", thread forming die dross, and color coded stripes all still in tact. Stored indoors, in a dark windowless warehouse, away from any sunlight, for 10+ years. Half that time by me, not some shady tire dealer. The other half of that time by a trusted acquaintance, whose storage method I witnessed. Factory OEM take offs, set aside for bigger tires by the original owner soon after delivery.

Neither the robustness of the "regroovable" casing, nor the formidable F rated load range, nor the sanctity of the new tire smell that still lingered in these well preserved rubber relics.... stopped them from blowing up on the highway.

Not worth it for $500. Not worth it for free.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:14 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2000 f250 had 13k miles on it when i bought it. 2 of the original firestone tires blew out by 15k miles. I replaced all 4 tires in 2003 and it has 67k miles on it now on those same tires. They are ready to be replaced to due to wear on the tread, but never had any worries on the age of them. That being said, i knew how my truck had been treated, how it was driven and that it had been garage kept. I wouldnt buy tires that old when new ones arent much more.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Trust me I do know about tire failure, here's one from my trailer

This is what old tires can do? Goodyear tire less than 3 years old! As I said though those old stock tires need to be cheap.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My trailer tire that looked good blew out and took the fender off.
It won't move until I put new tires on it.
Not worth the safety risk, no matter how cheap you are.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Good luck to get a tire shop to mount them. I think this was mentioned above.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
Lots of threads in the rv forum's about china bomb trailer tires not lasting more than a year or two, I run LT truck tires on my trailers instead of ST trailer bombs.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
They wouldn't bother me one bit. I'd offer five hundred and free mounting.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Y2KW57
Trust me I do know about tire failure, here's one from my trailer

This is what old tires can do? Goodyear tire less than 3 years old! As I said though those old stock tires need to be cheap.
Shovelhead... please tell us the model of Goodyear trailer tire that blew out above... is this the Goodyear Marathon? or the Goodyear Endurance? or Goodyear something else?

Your tread doesn't look quite like Marathon, albeit my Marathons on hand that I have to compare are "expired" rollers, used for no other purpose than holding the trailer up off the ground, so the tread design may have changed.

On the other hand, your tread doesn't look quite like Goodyear's new Endurance trailer tire either, which was recently introduced around three years ago, and which replaced the long running Marathon.

Yet you said you bought this tire 3 years ago, so both models of tire are a possibility, even while neither tire matches the tread pattern for either model... at least the tread patterns I've seen.

If I had to guess, I would say you had a Marathon, which are definitely no longer recommended among the RV community. But if you had an Endurance, that would worry me a bit, because I was hoping that Goodyear solved all of their ST tire problems with their Endurance model.

So please answer the mystery!

Old 10-07-2018, 02:55 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Shovelhead... please tell us the model of Goodyear trailer tire that blew out above... is this the Goodyear Marathon? or the Goodyear Endurance? or Goodyear something else?

Your tread doesn't look quite like Marathon, albeit my Marathons on hand that I have to compare are "expired" rollers, used for no other purpose than holding the trailer up off the ground, so the tread design may have changed.

On the other hand, your tread doesn't look quite like Goodyear's new Endurance trailer tire either, which was recently introduced around three years ago, and which replaced the long running Marathon.

Yet you said you bought this tire 3 years ago, so both models of tire are a possibility, even while neither tire matches the tread pattern for either model... at least the tread patterns I've seen.

If I had to guess, I would say you had a Marathon, which are definitely no longer recommended among the RV community. But if you had an Endurance, that would worry me a bit, because I was hoping that Goodyear solved all of their ST tire problems with their Endurance model.

So please answer the mystery!
The tyres were already on the trailer when I bought it, all 4 looked like they'd done very low mileage, I believe that they were Goodyear Marathon's with a date code of late 2013, this happened in 2016. My initial thoughts were old tyres until I checked the date, my tyre guy said the same until he saw it. He then suggested that maybe the tyre had hit something on the road previously that had damaged the wires internally? I know that I hadn't hit anything during my ownership so I changed all 4 & sold the 2 that were on the other side of the trailer (I scrapped the one from the same side, figured that it would also have hit the same thing!

Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Y2KW57
Thanks. I am sorry that you had tire troubles, but I am relieved to hear that they were indeed Goodyear Marathons, and not the newer design Goodyear Endurance tires, which Goodyear introduced to resolve all the previous troubles with Marathons.

Quick Reply: Tires from Craigslist--new but 10 yrs old ??