O/T Old man winter - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

O/T Old man winter

Old 10-05-2018, 07:33 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Greg,
Being from a hot miserable Southern state I had no idea people still used
coal to heat their houses. Why did you choose coal? Where do you store 22 tons of coal?
That just seems like a crazy large pile (pics?).

I was born in Madison & my dad's family is from Iowa .. so I'm not totally unfamiliar with
that white powdery stuff on Muppy's porch.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-05-2018, 07:39 PM
fish pond
Senior User
fish pond is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fish pond is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cool

I live in the sticks, only other options are propane or electric heat.
I have a propane furnace in house and shop, use these in mild weather.

There are two types of coal(that I know of)
Bituminous(sp?) is cheap , plentiful, dirty, this is what ships ,electric companies, ect. use.

Antracite (sp?), only mined in Penn.,cleaner burning than wood, WAY longer fire than wood, 0 degrees, i can set her up to run for a easy 12-16 hours and maintain same heat, milder weather ,say 20 degrees its good for 20 hours or so.
I burned wood for 35 years, buzz saw, log splitter,wood was free for taking living amougnst state forest here, my body got older, coal is easier,MUCH.
it comes in 40 # bags,50 to a pallet wrapped and covered from Penn.,22 pallets fits on a semi, hence the 22 tons.
I have plenty of room here, nice neat rows behind the shop building/barn.
Folks look at me like I have 3 eyes when I say I burn coal, no smoke at all, just heat waves is all one sees at chimney.
cost aboot 1,000$ per season to heat the plc here.
aint perfect,but neither am I.
yup.
Greg

Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Bagged coal on pallets, now that makes sense. I thought you had 22 ton of loose coal dumped in your garage!

There are grades of coal lower than bituminous. There is sub-bituminous and then lignite.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:51 PM
pintoplumber
Elder User
pintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Greg,
Being from a hot miserable Southern state I had no idea people still used
coal to heat their houses. Why did you choose coal? Where do you store 22 tons of coal?
That just seems like a crazy large pile (pics?).

I was born in Madison & my dad's family is from Iowa .. so I'm not totally unfamiliar with
that white powdery stuff on Muppy's porch.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Ben, I burn about 5 ton a year in a boiler. Hot water baseboard heat.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
Hard to think about winter when it is in the mid 80s. But wait a day or two and we will be in the 60s!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
I like Greg's definition of mild weather … in the 20's. At that temperature our weather folks are screaming Freeze Warning
cover your hose bibs & drip all your faucets, the stores sell out of bread & everything edible.
I heard a rumor that you don't even need to cover your outside hose faucets...

What do you set your inside thermostat to in the winter? My wife & girls start complaining at 68 degrees.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
I like Greg's definition of mild weather … in the 20's. At that temperature our weather folks are screaming Freeze Warning
cover your hose bibs & drip all your faucets, the stores sell out of bread & everything edible.
I heard a rumor that you don't even need to cover your outside hose faucets...

What do you set your inside thermostat to in the winter? My wife & girls start complaining at 68 degrees.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Most outside faucets are what they call frost proof. The valve is actually inside the house which is why when you turn it off you see water dripping out. They do not need to be covered. And keep in mind that the weather guessers don't do weather very well so they sure don't know about plumbing!

68 is about as low as I'd go.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.