6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Aftermarket cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
My understanding was those cams were emissions marginal before the 6.0L hit the dealers lot. All the '04 mid changes were to get into compliance.
I like how you worded that

These trucks run noticably better when they're "emissions defiant"

Old 10-07-2018, 07:04 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Yeah. Nothing like all we have to do meet targets are:
  • Revise the camshaft
  • Increase EGR flow
    • Requires larger EGR cooler, which requires a larger water pump
    • Scoop in exhaust flow to channel the additional flow
  • Eliminate the Pilot Injection what was highly promoted
  • Dampen the oil flow harmonics in the oil rails
And a little software change too.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Yeah. Nothing like all we have to do meet targets are:
  • Revise the camshaft
  • Increase EGR flow
    • Requires larger EGR cooler, which requires a larger water pump
    • Scoop in exhaust flow to channel the additional flow
  • Eliminate the Pilot Injection what was highly promoted
  • Dampen the oil flow harmonics in the oil rails
And a little software change too.
I remember the discussions around Codename: "Super 600". Better power and better fuel economy than the 7.3, but most of all quieter....Pilot Injection. I remember them being very proud of this feature and touting it.

Staying on topic, my 2005 engine obviously has the later cam that as you so eloquently put it, promotes EGR flow and lowers emissions by keeping more exhaust in the cylinders than new air.

While I'm on the hunt for a 2003 engine and/or cam, there IS a way to overcome what Navistar had to do to the cam to meet emissions: an Odawg intake manifold. This intake manifold increases airflow 46% over the stock intake manifold and allows the rear cylinders to get all the air they should. This intake manifold is designed for emissions defiant trucks. So if you have an EGR cooler or maybe live in a state that tests for it, this intake manifold isn't for you. It costs somewhere between $700 and $900.

Because my engine has to be rebuilt is the only reason why I'm looking for a 2003 cam, the other reason is that mine may be toast because of my heads being improperly torqued and as a result, the valve train may have suffered. When I pulled my pushrods, there was no copper on them.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If no copper, it may be the pushrods were installed upside-down.

If you're idling at the time, there is a distinct change in the motors volume once the temperature threshold is exceeded and this program goes into Pilot Injection.

This cam does have some scuffing on the opening and closing ramps, typical on this motor and of the lifter roller sliding on the surface rather than rolling. It also in these regions has more pitting at the back cylinders, where oil volume should be lowest. That's usually Hertzian Contact Stress delaminating little pits out of the hardened layering. Every time people talk about losing a lifter it may have not been the lifter even though the wheel was destroyed. It just as well could be a blown lobe surface that beats the hell out of the roller. Hey, I got a place to put this verbiage.

This morning I got a picture off eBay of a used cam that was just a little hurt. But it shows a good example of a hardened surface flaking off.

But it can be just the start of this.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:40 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jack, that cam doesn't look too bad, I picked up a supposedly remanned 406 years a go and the builder, I use the term loosely, had put a cam in that looked like that and said to just use a little STP and it would be fine.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Jack I have a word for that last photo.

OUCH!

Sort of looks like an oil port got blocked.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:34 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

There's a lot of interesting stuff on eBay. All three of those pictures are 6.0 cams for sale as cores. For like $150.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
If no copper, it may be the pushrods were installed upside-down.

If you're idling at the time, there is a distinct change in the motors volume once the temperature threshold is exceeded and this program goes into Pilot Injection.
Which is what I suspect is the case, I also suspect that because my heads were never fully torqued correctly, it may have played a role in the wear of the push rods and rocker arms.

If you're interested in having Pilot Injection or a quieter idle, Mike at KEM diesel writes it well. I have his performance tune on my '05 and I remember starting it up one morning and noticing it was strangely quiet, but as soon as I stepped on the accelerator, the injectors got louder and I was on my way.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If your talking about Pilot Injection to me, I still have it as I never allowed reprogramming. If to others, never mind.

Little Power Shop claims to sell an early 2003 cam, but considering everything I’ve been reading on cam failure in SAE papers, I’m worried more about unknown aftermarket cams then OE. The guys that sell billet cams all are more aggressive in lift then I care to be for their stage 1, but the billets maybe less subseptable to stress fatigue compared to the cast blanks as long as the hardening is deep enough.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:21 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry to hijack but is the pilot injection a FICM flash or PCM flash?

Old 10-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Ok so I cheated and just copied this. What are your thoughts. They also make one that is used in
the small 5 or 6 cylinder air cooled aircraft engines.

So I got the usal ad from an aircraft supply place and this is one thing I found that is for automotive.
Both gas and diesel. What do you all think of this stuff?

CamGuard - Automotive Oil Supplement 8oz - Bundled Offers

Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Just a good dose of ZDDP, zinc? It’s not on the shelves at the parts stores anymore that I could find a couple years ago. Old guys swear by it for cam break in on fresh rebuilds, especially if it has solid lifters. 8oz sound right for 5quarts of oil. I’m not sure if it’s necessary on an engine with roller lifters or even if it’s a good idea. And it smells awful out the exhaust.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I know my A&P Power Plant instructor would always put an additive in fresh engines.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:53 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Ok so I cheated and just copied this. What are your thoughts. They also make one that is used in
the small 5 or 6 cylinder air cooled aircraft engines.

So I got the usal ad from an aircraft supply place and this is one thing I found that is for automotive.
Both gas and diesel. What do you all think of this stuff?

CamGuard - Automotive Oil Supplement 8oz - Bundled Offers
Camguard was developed as a corrosion inhibitor for piston aircraft engines, camshafts being the most vulnerable. I use it in my airplanes and recommend it to my customers if they don't fly regularly. Never tried the auto or truck versions.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:33 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I posted this in the "What ...." thread but it should go here to continue the subject.

I bought an $800 cam from Tasca, cleaning it ready for install and no-go for me.

First, its got a casting void under the surface that has the potential to flake off. Also, look at the roughness of the grinding. You can feel it with your fingernails.

And since I have a profilometer, I can measure the surface roughness.

Mahle states in their information that a roller cam lobe should be 16Ra max to 10Ra. Comp Cams and some other sources are talking about performance and diesel lobes being in the range of 3-5Ra.

Here is my 2003 cam as it came out of my motor.

It was in the 5-6Ra range outside of the roller contact area.

Left a message with Tasca this am ...... waiting.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket cams