2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 02:47 PM
HST
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I too miss the engine brake but this grade shifting that these have do an incredible job in the mountains. Coming down the backside of the Eisenhower tunnel, I was quite amazed at how little I had to brake.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:13 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't settle buying a 6.2 gasser, I bought what I needed. More cargo capacity and since I was towing way under 11,000 pounds I sure didn't need a diesel. It had nothing to do with what I could or couldn't afford, but what I needed. Many diesel owners buy diesel, not because they need it, but because they think it's a status symbol. Well that's not what I think of when I see a new F350 crew cab diesel pulling a ski boat or a 6,000 pound travel trailer. It just looks like someone is compensating. When we bought our 2016 F350 gasser we were looking for carrying capacity for a slide in truck camper. When we sold the camper and got a small Outdoors RV travel trailer, max. weight of 7800 pounds, I was glad I hadn't sprung for a diesel. A trailer that light sure doesn't need one. A lot of diesel owners say they didn't need a diesel, "they wanted one". To those people there's not much to say. Enjoy paying more for the vehicle, service, diesel, DEF and less load capacity.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:18 AM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Settle? My azz, lol
I filled up last night for $1.82, 87 unleaded. Diesel was $2.95

Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid
I didn't settle buying a 6.2 gasser, I bought what I needed. More cargo capacity and since I was towing way under 11,000 pounds I sure didn't need a diesel. It had nothing to do with what I could or couldn't afford, but what I needed. Many diesel owners buy diesel, not because they need it, but because they think it's a status symbol. Well that's not what I think of when I see a new F350 crew cab diesel pulling a ski boat or a 6,000 pound travel trailer. It just looks like someone is compensating. When we bought our 2016 F350 gasser we were looking for carrying capacity for a slide in truck camper. When we sold the camper and got a small Outdoors RV travel trailer, max. weight of 7800 pounds, I was glad I hadn't sprung for a diesel. A trailer that light sure doesn't need one. A lot of diesel owners say they didn't need a diesel, "they wanted one". To those people there's not much to say. Enjoy paying more for the vehicle, service, diesel, DEF and less load capacity.
In an ironic way it sounds like you are compensating for something. Why would you slam someone for their own personal choice?

I sometimes tow a 4k pound bass boat with my V10. Should I sell it and get a Ranger? Having excess towing capacity is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only time you need a diesel is if you tow over 10k regularly or if everytime you turn the key its making you money hauling a load over many miles. Otherwise its a luxury option. Cant BELIEVE gas is under 2 bux! Armageddon is near..... .

Old 12-23-2018, 09:53 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Originally Posted by super 6.8
In an ironic way it sounds like you are compensating for something. Why would you slam someone for their own personal choice?

I sometimes tow a 4k pound bass boat with my V10. Should I sell it and get a Ranger? Having excess towing capacity is a good thing, not a bad thing.
The thread is titled "Settling for the gasser?". Keep up.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:58 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
The thread is titled "Settling for the gasser?". Keep up.
Go right ahead and keep compensating....

Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Kevinm1980
Senior User
I like the 6.2 in my 18 f-350, tows my camping rig just fine in the rockies, and it heats up fast when it's - 36 in the mornings, did think about diesel, but what killed it was a friend that had a 17 and when tems dropped below - 25, the "aux" heater wasnt cutting it and he was complaining about it taking half an hour of idling and 20 minutes of diving until you could no longer see your breath, my gasser gets to that point in 5 minutes after I start it, then after driving it for a few minutes it's toasty, I'll never go diesel

Old 12-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Dwightdr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Kevinm1980
I like the 6.2 in my 18 f-350, tows my camping rig just fine in the rockies, and it heats up fast when it's - 36 in the mornings, did think about diesel, but what killed it was a friend that had a 17 and when tems dropped below - 25, the "aux" heater wasnt cutting it and he was complaining about it taking half an hour of idling and 20 minutes of diving until you could no longer see your breath, my gasser gets to that point in 5 minutes after I start it, then after driving it for a few minutes it's toasty, I'll never go diesel
​​​​​
that idle time will also shorten the life of his Diesel. Cylinder wash and the EGR will kill an engine real quick.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
We’re going to see the dwindling days of the diesel 3/4 and 1 ton. My buddy is a fleet manager at a Ford dealership here in Houston, and he says they are starting to see a trend towards gas trucks. With the rising cost of the initial investment, combined with ALL associated costs of ownership, diesels just dont make sense anymore for 90% of the people that own them. Cost of emissions related equipment in the future will eventually cripple the diesel pick up market. Look at what Mercedes and its customers have gone through with the blue tec diesel in the sprinter. Beyond costly repairs most related to emissions systems out of warranty, and thats if you can get warranty coverage. All they do is blame emissions problems on the quality of diesel, and BOOM owner is stuck with the repair. Google it.... its crazy. No bueno. I can assure you once chevy, ford , and dodge get on that bandwagon dudes will trade these things in by the masses. These new gas motors have come a long way. They have the power to get it done, and they have a long servicable life span. Diesel is bad ***, just dosent make sense financially.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:47 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Wink

Originally Posted by super 6.8
Go right ahead and keep compensating....
And you go right ahead.....and keep missing the point.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
And you go right ahead.....and keep missing the point.
i literally laughed out loud while sitting on the chitter. Haha

Old 12-23-2018, 01:51 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 528 Likes on 298 Posts
There are no fuel cost savings with a diesel, it is not "an investment", the risks of ownership are much higher.

IMO, the only reason to buy a diesel is if you haul VERY heavy and often.

Gassers are making a comeback based on realistic need, cost, reliability, and increased capability. I think that trend will continue.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:08 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
There are no fuel cost savings with a diesel, it is not "an investment", the risks of ownership are much higher.

IMO, the only reason to buy a diesel is if you haul VERY heavy and often.

Gassers are making a comeback based on realistic need, cost, reliability, and increased capability. I think that trend will continue.
lolol butt hurt...if you want a diesel just get one. They are incredible compared to the puny gassers. Don’t beat yourself up because you feel guilty for treating yourself. There’s a reason only 5% of superdutys are gassers.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:22 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroo
There’s a reason only 5% of superdutys are gassers.
First time I heard that, can you prove it?

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?