2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did not settle but upgraded to a 6.2:
Yah'll know he specs of 2003 7.3L power stroke.
The 6.2l specs are so close and did not require all those mods we did back in the day to reduce the cackle.
Yup, these thread can be entertaining only 4k on the clock and hwy mpg is now around 15.2 and around 13.8 to 14.8 in town which is on par with my old Tundra. Any time I hook up a trailer, the white knuckle angst is gone.... course YMMV according to your location and life style but hey we all knew that right...

So now that I posted a useless post to up my count yah'll have a great weekend..

Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Jbeaux
New User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No settling here... I chose the 6.2l when selecting search options.
It had nothing to with with affordability as the cost difference wasn't a deal breaker , resale, or whatever nonsense this thread regurgitates. Each person needs different things, and most pretend they need more capability than they will ever actually utilize in their daily life.

I wanted gas, not diesel. I wanted a truck capable of pulling my boat (29 Everglades on triple axle trailer) . It does it extremely effectively and easily. I used to pull my boat with an older 7.3 diesel, and I honestly prefer my new truck hands down.. She doesn't shift excessively and pulls easy on I10 at 70. Plenty of torque. My other car is a rubicon wrangler that's lifted so gas mileage is not a concern. Haha

Comparing diesel to gas for me came down to use patterns (lots of very short distance driving amd infrequent towing) and Easier/cheaper maintenance. Quiet, reliable, and easy to gas up anywhere. These posts about power and towing ability are comical. My truck does MORE than I need and almost all of those posting on this thread.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:08 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jbeaux
No settling here... I chose the 6.2l when selecting search options.
It had nothing to with with affordability as the cost difference wasn't a deal breaker , resale, or whatever nonsense this thread regurgitates. Each person needs different things, and most pretend they need more capability than they will ever actually utilize in their daily life.

I wanted gas, not diesel. I wanted a truck capable of pulling my boat (29 Everglades on triple axle trailer) . It does it extremely effectively and easily. I used to pull my boat with an older 7.3 diesel, and I honestly prefer my new truck hands down.. She doesn't shift excessively and pulls easy on I10 at 70. Plenty of torque. My other car is a rubicon wrangler that's lifted so gas mileage is not a concern. Haha

Comparing diesel to gas for me came down to use patterns (lots of very short distance driving amd infrequent towing) and Easier/cheaper maintenance. Quiet, reliable, and easy to gas up anywhere. These posts about power and towing ability are comical. My truck does MORE than I need and almost all of those posting on this thread.
I chose the gas for many of the same reasons. Driving patterns being the main reason. Mine is a work truck, but not really used to do heavy work. My company can certainly afford a diesel truck and the expense of repairs. However, I don't like being without my truck to drive and putting it in the shop for repairs is a pita. If you are not working a diesel or traveling long distances I don't really see the need for one. I have never drove one though. I know if I did I wouldn't be able to get that torque out of my head. Ignorance is certainly bliss there.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:55 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
I am not trying to be critical of your reasoning or question your decision but, having towed a half million miles with both diesel and gas, that 2% you cite isn't reality in the world I tow in.

Sure, long climbs are obvious. I tell people who haven't towed with a 17+ 6.7 that in my truck; "the earth is flat. There are no mountains." But that sells the 6.7 short. Where it really shines is dealing with everything other than standard cruise. Whether working traffic, passing big slow trucks, or taking a short, uphill entrance ramp into heavy traffic, the 6.7 makes dealing with this stuff much easier. Or towing the scenic 2 lanes through the mountains. Its all effortless. That's how I justify the 6.7.

I'd add in the lack of stressed out kids and wife. When we were towing with our gasser suburban, we were always on top of the tac., In traffic on starts from a stop or slow roll, going up hills (we live in Seattle so you have a pass just about everywhere), down hills to help with braking. Kids were stressed, wife was stressed and I was stressed. White knuckle towing sucks.

Flash forward. Towing with the 6.7 (as Clubwagon so eloquently put it) means "there are no mountains". Understand why the gasser is attractive, but we are always heading over the mountains to somewhere. Even Though I use this rig for my daily driver with a 10 mile round trip, I don't care. I just bought an 8 year Ford ESP. Something goes wrong, not my problem.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 PM
1987mustang5o
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
I'd add in the lack of stressed out kids and wife. When we were towing with our gasser suburban, we were always on top of the tac., In traffic on starts from a stop or slow roll, going up hills (we live in Seattle so you have a pass just about everywhere), down hills to help with braking. Kids were stressed, wife was stressed and I was stressed. White knuckle towing sucks.

Flash forward. Towing with the 6.7 (as Clubwagon so eloquently put it) means "there are no mountains". Understand why the gasser is attractive, but we are always heading over the mountains to somewhere. Even Though I use this rig for my daily driver with a 10 mile round trip, I don't care. I just bought an 8 year Ford ESP. Something goes wrong, not my problem.

I can just imagine John Madden saying something like this. "Now here's a guy who's going to sell his truck in 7 years
"

Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
I am not trying to be critical of your reasoning or question your decision but, having towed a half million miles with both diesel and gas, that 2% you cite isn't reality in the world I tow in.

Sure, long climbs are obvious. I tell people who haven't towed with a 17+ 6.7 that in my truck; "the earth is flat. There are no mountains." But that sells the 6.7 short. Where it really shines is dealing with everything other than standard cruise. Whether working traffic, passing big slow trucks, or taking a short, uphill entrance ramp into heavy traffic, the 6.7 makes dealing with this stuff much easier. Or towing the scenic 2 lanes through the mountains. Its all effortless. That's how I justify the 6.7.
Originally Posted by 1987mustang5o
I can just imagine John Madden saying something like this. "Now here's a guy who's going to sell his truck in 7 years
"
You nailed it sir. I am assuming that the 2026 F350 is going to be bad a$$. But, i want my truck to bring top dollar. Warranty is always good if I sell private party.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:29 PM
morleyz
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. Nearly a week with crappy internet and this thread sure exploded. Can't we all just get along. I was merely trying to share that my experience with the 6.2 towing near max capacity of a 250 was great and I don't feel the least bit "ashamed" of my gasser. It did exactly what I needed it to do exactly how it was designed to do it and when I get home from this currently 2+ week journey, I can still drive my 4 mile round trip commute until next spring when camping season starts again.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
You happy with the gears?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:49 PM
nick112288
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I’m glad when any gas topic is created, because I hope it leads to more information about the 7.3

Old 10-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by morleyz
Wow. Nearly a week with crappy internet and this thread sure exploded. Can't we all just get along. I was merely trying to share that my experience with the 6.2 towing near max capacity of a 250 was great and I don't feel the least bit "ashamed" of my gasser. It did exactly what I needed it to do exactly how it was designed to do it and when I get home from this currently 2+ week journey, I can still drive my 4 mile round trip commute until next spring when camping season starts again.
I thought this is a pretty light hearted thread with so many variables of why we bought what we did, it shows the strength and unity of how many ways we love our SD's!
And had fun sharing as well......
well fellers it's sunday nat and for those not retard er ah retired and gottah werk yah'll have a great week yah'll......

Old 10-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Bohojo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome!

im hopefully ordering my 2019 250 gasser for the same usage soon!

Old 10-08-2018, 05:08 AM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ordered my F350 6.2L little over a year ago and couldn't be happier with my decision. Since the addition of emissions - I didn't even consider a diesel. These trucks are really nice and dependable.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 AM
AceRed
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered a 6.2. When it's -20F, I like to hit the remote start and have a reliable starting vehicle. I never tow anything very heavy and my commute is 9.5 miles of freeway.
I looked at used a few years ago. Drove a 6.0 10 miles and never got heat. Good thing they added the electric heater.
Right now I have a 6.8. Mileage is awful but there's enough power to push 20 inches of wet snow and still get the tires to break loose on the wet pavement in 4wd. The 6.2 has similar specs so no issues there.

So my thought is/was, if I'm not towing a bobcat trailer or similar all day, the 9K for the diesel just isn't worth it. Especially in cold weather climate 1/2 the year. Towing a boat or snowmobile trailer isn't going to make the gasser flinch. There's no mountains around here and if I ever decide to buy a camper (possibility) and struggle over the mountains that one or two times I do that, then for those few days, I'm sure I will want the diesel.
The diesels are awesome. I just question how many really "need" one vs. want one? Don't get me wrong. The other half of the year is in a 5.0GT mustang Convert. And..... the supercharger is going on. I don't "need" that either, lol.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:02 AM
morleyz
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VA13FX4
You happy with the gears?
Wouldn't know the difference, but have no gripes.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:48 PM
jasonbku
New User
I came from a 2015 Duramax, no issues with the truck it self and it towed great. I have a 9k lbs 37 foot travel trailer, that we took from PA to TN this summer for a 2 week trip. But I just didnt want the high up keep on the Duramax or the cost of diesel as its my day to day driver. And maybe I tow 20 days out of the year. So I traded her in on a 2017 F-250 6.2L with 3.73 gears, this is now my 3rd Ford truck and glad to be back. Just took the truck and camper out for a 30 mile test run up and down the highway with some decent hills. She may have dropped to 3rd to keep 55MPH going up the hills but overall she did great, drank that gas pretty quick but thats OK. Taking her out in a few weeks to a trip to the Poconos will get some more mountain testing then. So far I really just miss the engine brake I had on the Duramax, just need to get used to driving the camper without one. Need to get that hitch dialed in more still!

Last edited by jasonbku; 10-08-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?