Settling for the gasser? - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:38 AM
zeroo
Elder User
zeroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Jack4x View Post
If it's OHV, as rumored, it should be significantly smaller.
then ford should look into putting insulated storage compartments under the hood. Front trunk.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Drew_SD
Senior User
Drew_SD is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you need a truck (or really want to buy one) now, get the 6.7, otherwise I'd wait til the 7.3 gas comes out. I do not see the point in buying an outdated motor with a refreshed body and frame.. the 6.2 might be proven, but I'll bet the 7.3 will be better in almost every measurable category.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:29 PM
harmanrk
Senior User
harmanrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Drew_SD View Post
If you need a truck (or really want to buy one) now, get the 6.7, otherwise I'd wait til the 7.3 gas comes out. I do not see the point in buying an outdated motor with a refreshed body and frame.. the 6.2 might be proven, but I'll bet the 7.3 will be better in almost every measurable category.
What makes you think the 7.3 is going in the 250 and 350 pickups? It is a replacement for the 6.8 V10, which has not been in the 250/350 pickups for years...

Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 PM
RandyinTN
Senior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is always something newer and "better" to wait for in the auto world. Impossible to keep up with it all unless a buyer has extremely deep pockets and can afford a new truck every year.
Sometimes being "better" brings along its own set of headaches to go along with it until all the bugs are worked out.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Drew_SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by harmanrk View Post
What makes you think the 7.3 is going in the 250 and 350 pickups? It is a replacement for the 6.8 V10, which has not been in the 250/350 pickups for years...
The 6.2 is on the way out, it's demise is inevitable due to production cost, low volume, and declining demand. You may be right that the 7.3 won't be an option initially for the 250/350, but if Ford is serious about cutting spending, the 6.2 will be on the chopping block relatively soon.

Btw the declining demand is not for the 6.2 itself they are (as stated) very reliable engines. But the increased cost (MSRP) of a new 6.2 is decreasing demand. Just look at the used market for gassers right now. No one wants to take the initial hit, so they wait for something used to come up. More people are wanting for a used 6.2 than those willing to buy new and sell used. Supply and demand. Ford doesn't care (too much) about the used car market, it needs new sales to keep churning out more new 6.2s.

My guess is that they have already noticed this trend and are working on decreasing BOH of 6.2 parts through the next 1-2 model years, then launch the 7.3 into the 250/350 market (i really hope they do) to re-invigorate new sales in the medium duty gas market.

Just my 2 cents. Could totally be wrong too...

Old 10-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Drew_SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
There is always something newer and "better" to wait for in the auto world. Impossible to keep up with it all unless a buyer has extremely deep pockets and can afford a new truck every year.
Sometimes being "better" brings along its own set of headaches to go along with it until all the bugs are worked out.
Very true statements. I would not advise getting the first model year for anything (engine, body, etc.) There is almost a guarantee something will come up. If the 7.3 is formally announced for the 250/350 I would wait at least 8-12months if possible.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
If you are going to tow anything of weight, or you are going to put some real miles on it, the 6.7 is by far the better choice. Better gas mileage and you get an extra 40,000 miles on your warranty.

If neither of those applies, get whatever your heart and budget allow.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Mkos1980
Senior User
Mkos1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ordered a 19 gasser. Im coming from an 06 Silverado so anything is light years ahead. I bought my 06 as the last model style silverado and before the 6.0 went to AFM and I've loved my 06. The 07 and newer in my eye were ugly as sin and the 6.0 wasn't flaw free anymore and many problems came up. I'm happy ordering a good looking truck and a no issue drivetrain.... I found most people on this board exchange trucks every 4 years it seems. None of these people should be worried or talk about longevity. ..

Old 10-05-2018, 05:08 PM
harmanrk
Senior User
harmanrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 6.2 is on the way out, it's demise is inevitable due to production cost, low volume, and declining demand. You may be right that the 7.3 won't be an option initially for the 250/350, but if Ford is serious about cutting spending, the 6.2 will be on the chopping block relatively soon.

Btw the declining demand is not for the 6.2 itself they are (as stated) very reliable engines. But the increased cost (MSRP) of a new 6.2 is decreasing demand. Just look at the used market for gassers right now. No one wants to take the initial hit, so they wait for something used to come up. More people are wanting for a used 6.2 than those willing to buy new and sell used. Supply and demand. Ford doesn't care (too much) about the used car market, it needs new sales to keep churning out more new 6.2s.

My guess is that they have already noticed this trend and are working on decreasing BOH of 6.2 parts through the next 1-2 model years, then launch the 7.3 into the 250/350 market (i really hope they do) to re-invigorate new sales in the medium duty gas market.

Just my 2 cents. Could totally be wrong too...
The folks at Romeo don't seem to be concerned about the 6.2 going anywhere anytime soon, but only time will tell. The 6.2 has actually gotten a 1K cheaper for the initial buyer in the last year. A year ago on the 2017 the 6.7 was an 8K option, it is now a 9K option on the 2019. So the 6.2 is an addition 1K cheaper than the only alternative. There have always been a big demand for used trucks, and those that look for someone else to take the depreciation hit.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:09 PM
HST
Senior User
HST is starting off with a positive reputation.
This settling for a gasser thread is really kind if interesting. I didn't settle and I could have spent the money on the diesel but chose not to. Been there done that and had the issues on both a 2015 F350 6.7L and a 2017 Ram 3500 6.7L. I really tried to like the modern diesels but that's clearly not going to happen. More and more emissions control equipment and forcing incredibly hot EGT's back through the turbo and engine is not for me. I also like to work on my stuff and one look in the bay of the 6.7L tells me that Ford is securing their diesel techs future jobs...Heck a good buddy at Ford says he wouldn't own one out of warranty.

First and foremost, It starts with being honest with ones self on what is truly needed in a truck. For me, the 6.2L and the 4.30 gear combo was the ticket. Now I change the oil once a year and the oil / filter change cost me under $20. There is a reason more fleets are going back to gas trucks.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM
zeroo
Elder User
zeroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Other than my 97, I havenít owned any of my diesels but a few thousand miles out of the engine warranty. So I canít argue with that.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:48 PM
schu
Freshman User
schu is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think many are looking at it the wrong way. Many people buying a new truck are upgrading from their old truck, and if their old truck was a 7.3 or 6.0 Ford diesel or a 5.9 cummins, then the 6.2 isn't a downgrade, it's an upgrade. Here is why:

My older 5.9 made 555ftlbs/305hp at 2900rpm and had 3.73 gears. My new 6.2 makes 430ftbls/385hp with the torque coming on at 3800rpm and has 4.30 gears. With the gearing difference I figured that the new gasser would do anything my old truck would do, it just needs 1000 more rpm to do it, and I was right. Towing back to back the 6.2 is more engine than the 5.9 cummins in stock trim.

Now some people say that the diesel gets way better MPG, and that's kinda true, but you can buy a lot of gas for what it costs for the diesel upgrade and muffler fluid and maintenance. Others say you can mod the diesel but unless you have deep pockets, you kill the towing performance. Having a mod diesel tow well and not burn up requires intake, exhaust, and you should get a bigger turbo too.

So I would say that the 6.2 is a better engine than an OLD diesel, so those buying a 6.2 aren't settling like it's a downgrade, they just aren't spending the big bucks on a significant upgrade in performance and the cost of reliability that comes with it.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 PM
bk4gbay
New User
bk4gbay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by schu View Post
I think many are looking at it the wrong way. Many people buying a new truck are upgrading from their old truck, and if their old truck was a 7.3 or 6.0 Ford diesel or a 5.9 cummins, then the 6.2 isn't a downgrade, it's an upgrade. Here is why:

My older 5.9 made 555ftlbs/305hp at 2900rpm and had 3.73 gears. My new 6.2 makes 430ftbls/385hp with the torque coming on at 3800rpm and has 4.30 gears. With the gearing difference I figured that the new gasser would do anything my old truck would do, it just needs 1000 more rpm to do it, and I was right. Towing back to back the 6.2 is more engine than the 5.9 cummins in stock trim.

Now some people say that the diesel gets way better MPG, and that's kinda true, but you can buy a lot of gas for what it costs for the diesel upgrade and muffler fluid and maintenance. Others say you can mod the diesel but unless you have deep pockets, you kill the towing performance. Having a mod diesel tow well and not burn up requires intake, exhaust, and you should get a bigger turbo too.

So I would say that the 6.2 is a better engine than an OLD diesel, so those buying a 6.2 aren't settling like it's a downgrade, they just aren't spending the big bucks on a significant upgrade in performance and the cost of reliability that comes with it.
I agree 100% with this. I had an early 99 7.3L that was more than enough for what I did. However it is 20 years old and repairs started to mount. I fell in love with this new body style and saw the 6.2L had more HP and about the same torque. So for me, the gasser was an upgrade all around. My wife and I wanted reliability as well and the 6.2L gives that piece of mind.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
VA13FX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
These threads crack me up. There are lots of reasons out there to go gas or diesel but it seems these threads normally turn in to people arguing one vs the other in the same manner people argue about politics! It's even gotten to the point where people have personally insulted me for not agreeing with their point of view. Which was actually pretty funny to me because they were diesel guys and I was trying to stay impartial by not discussing my preference when someone was asking about pros & cons (clearly they didn't see my signature) and they got all defensive and I guess thought making things personal would make people more willing to see things from their point of view!? Clearly there's a lot of love for these trucks on here! And people who want to defend their purchase/views/opinions, but does anyone really think they are going to convince others that they have bought the wrong truck over an internet forum?
Ok.... Rant over...

Glad to hear the OP is happy with his decision. I can tell you that now that Iím not living in/near mountains I donít use/need the benefits of the 6.7 much if at all anymore, and have had thoughts about if I should have bought it in the first place. That being said, the cross country towing/move this summer with multiple mountain range crossings was made with ease and without stress due largely in part to the added torque and the engine brake! This thing tows like a dream. I am happy that my concern is about having too much truck instead of not enough. Iíve had zero issues with my 6.7 thus far, but Iím also only at 12k miles. This being my first diesel I am a bit paranoid that all the scary ďwhat-ifĒ scenarios thrown out on this site will come true 100 miles out of warranty. But Iím just as paranoid that my truck will develop the dreaded Death Wobble at the same time. My solution is to drive the heck out of this thing and enjoy it for what it isÖ One beast of a truck! And if it does implode on itself just out of warranty I have a valid excuse to tell the wifey as to why I need a new truck!

Happy Friday fellow Ford fanatics!

Old 10-05-2018, 09:44 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6.2 is on the way out, it's demise is inevitable due to production cost, low volume, and declining demand.
Please provide any data to support these claims. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.