Settling for the gasser? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM
EGoodie21
Freshman User
EGoodie21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The things I appreciate about the 6.7 are the low end power, at like 1800 rpms so the engine isn't roaring all the time with the family in the car. Staying in 5th gear towing uphill. I like the engine brake so I don't have to use the breaks much when towing the trailer, which is about 8,000#. The weight of the truck helps to keep the trialer stable at all times. All in all, it just felt like a safer more comfortable tow. I dont' feel the white knuckle action that I had with the 4.7L Tundra. I don't think I need the 6.7 for most of my towing, but when I do use it, I appreciate how capable it is.

I used the Ford A plan to purchase my truck, so I did get a great deal back in 2017. Unfortunately here in CA they added a lot of taxes to diesel the end of the same year. Live and learn, that's for sure. Would I do a diesel again? I really don't know, because it is more to maintain (purchased maintenance package and ESP). I pray I get 20 years out of this beast with minimal issues.. We will see though.

Thought I would add, it is nearly impossible to find a gas 6.2L here in NorCal. They all seem to be 6.7, with 4x4, but it's great to have all capabilities. One time needed, worth their weight in gold!

Old 10-03-2018, 02:23 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
That's pretty funny.

Actually, I "settled" for 4wd. I was looking for a 2wd Lariat because I have no need for 4wd. My truck spends most of its time towing on the interstate and 4wd would just add complexity, weight, expense and lower gas mileage. The problem was I couldn't fine one, anywhere. We found a couple of 2wd XLTs and the rest were XLs. Apparently, Ford doesn't build 2wd Lariats. Also, looking at resale 4wd will return its cost when its time to sell or trade.
We had no problems special ordering our 2017 F350 CCSB XLT 6.2 3.73 2WD and our 2019 F350 CCSB Lariat 6.2 4.30 2WD.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 10-03-2018, 02:39 PM
zeroo
Elder User
zeroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am at my dealer getting my leaky Dually rims replaced and they let me drive a fresh off the truck 2019 lariat ccsb gasser with 3.73. Had very good off throttle response. Donít like how it revs when hitting passing gears but over all nice. Felt very light. Mpg sucked just like my drw with 4.10ís. One thing I noticed is that it was 2Ē taller than than an f250 with snowplow, even the back was 2Ē taller. The gasser didnít have the snow plow pack. It was very noticeable.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:35 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by zeroo View Post

lol. Seriously you would?
Yes I would.
Add a couple thousand to the price of the truck over the diesel price please if that is what it takes for me to get a gasser.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 PM
zeroo
Elder User
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy View Post
Yes I would.
Add a couple thousand to the price of the truck over the diesel price please if that is what it takes for me to get a gasser.
have you drove a 6.7? I would be out of my mind if I chose the gas for $2k over the diesel.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation

have you drove a 6.7? I would be out of my mind if I chose the gas for $2k over the diesel.

Many of them.
And several (4) of my company vehicles have the 6.7 diesel engine. Also had a loaner 2018 F250 Diesel this summer from the Ford dealership for 13 days, I wish that they would have given me a gas engine loaner. But it is what it is.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM
slip knot
Junior User
slip knot is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm afraid I'm in the same camp as Sky Cowboy. I've got no desire for an emission'd diesel.

I had to order a 6.2 over driving off that day in a 6.7.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post

We had no problems special ordering our 2017 F350 CCSB XLT 6.2 3.73 2WD and our 2019 F350 CCSB Lariat 6.2 4.30 2WD.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Oh, I don't doubt that at all. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait to order mine as I was towing home from the west coast when I was involved in a minor accident on I-80 near Omaha. A friend owns the Ford Dealerships there and instead of waiting for them to fix my truck I traded it on the spot.

They searched the entire midwest looking for trucks. Found one XLT 2wd in Virginia Beach, VA. That was it.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:02 PM
westcoastsd
New User
westcoastsd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Having traded my ecoboost for my 6.2, I miss the turbo torque. That is where it ends for me. I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and do my own maintenance/repair. I try to buy items that wont need a lot of work and I must have the ability to complete repairs which took the diesel off the table. I have found the power to be acceptable and the truck is a pleasure to drive. The motor will rev when climbing but the drivetrain is rated for twice the torque and should never break. I say all this with the caveat that I have a 3500lb slide in camper and tow a 5k boat. I do both at the same time once or twice a year. Gas also allowed me to get crew 4x4 xlt prem with 360 camera, bliss etc for under 44K.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Bitterrootnets
New User
Bitterrootnets is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
That's pretty funny.

Actually, I "settled" for 4wd. I was looking for a 2wd Lariat because I have no need for 4wd. My truck spends most of its time towing on the interstate and 4wd would just add complexity, weight, expense and lower gas mileage. The problem was I couldn't fine one, anywhere. We found a couple of 2wd XLTs and the rest were XLs. Apparently, Ford doesn't build 2wd Lariats. Also, looking at resale 4wd will return its cost when its time to sell or trade.
Just in case anyone is actualy looking for a 2WD Lariat, The dealer I bought my truck from has had this one on his lot for a year now.

https://www.gusjohnsonford.com/new-S...7X2AT9HEF17634

Old 10-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bitterrootnets View Post
Just in case anyone is actualy looking for a 2WD Lariat, The dealer I bought my truck from has had this one on his lot for a year now.

https://www.gusjohnsonford.com/new-S...7X2AT9HEF17634
Yep, and probably will have it for a while too. It is a 6.7 but not my color choice, and worse, its a Super Cab.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 PM
RandyinTN
Senior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
I owned a 2002 7.3. Currently searching for a replacement truck for my F150. I wouldnt take a 6.7 diesel if it were a no cost option. Only way I might consider one if I were towing over 10,000 pounds several times a month for long distances.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 AM
FastTaurusSHO
Junior User
FastTaurusSHO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
I owned a 2002 7.3. Currently searching for a replacement truck for my F150. I wouldnt take a 6.7 diesel if it were a no cost option. Only way I might consider one if I were towing over 10,000 pounds several times a month for long distances.
Yep, same here. If I were truly working my truck, I would have gone diesel. As it is there is nothing the diesel does for my application that the gas doesn't handle with aplomb. My 8K travel trailer is the hardest work the truck will ever do, I just wasn't impressed with DEF, 3 gallon oil changes, the oily fuel. The performance gap just isn't that big in my experience.

I'm also not afraid of some RPM's, though I understand some are horribly terrified at the thought. My daily driver probably sees it's 7,500 RPM red line weekly on my commute.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:02 AM
zeroo
Elder User
Originally Posted by FastTaurusSHO View Post
Yep, same here. If I were truly working my truck, I would have gone diesel. As it is there is nothing the diesel does for my application that the gas doesn't handle with aplomb. My 8K travel trailer is the hardest work the truck will ever do, I just wasn't impressed with DEF, 3 gallon oil changes, the oily fuel. The performance gap just isn't that big in my experience.

I'm also not afraid of some RPM's, though I understand some are horribly terrified at the thought. My daily driver probably sees it's 7,500 RPM red line weekly on my commute.
I can't imagine somebody terrified, its just aggravating to have the engine rev like its launching to the moon and it not really go much faster. For those that like room under the hood the 6.2 is for you. I was shocked to see so much room in there. You can tell the whole super duty legacy was designed around the powerstroke. Wonder how much bigger the 7.3 will be, if any?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Jack4x
Junior User
Jack4x is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wonder how much bigger the 7.3 will be, if any?
If it's OHV, as rumored, it should be significantly smaller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.