2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:17 PM
nick112288
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
I am not trying to be critical of your reasoning or question your decision but, having towed a half million miles with both diesel and gas, that 2% you cite isn't reality in the world I tow in.

Sure, long climbs are obvious. I tell people who haven't towed with a 17+ 6.7 that in my truck; "the earth is flat. There are no mountains." But that sells the 6.7 short. Where it really shines is dealing with everything other than standard cruise. Whether working traffic, passing big slow trucks, or taking a short, uphill entrance ramp into heavy traffic, the 6.7 makes dealing with this stuff much easier. Or towing the scenic 2 lanes through the mountains. Its all effortless. That's how I justify the 6.7.
You stated the exact reason and point of this thread. IN YOUR WORLD. Not everyone tows the same as you. Just as you don’t tow the same as everyone else. Diesel has its place. Gas has its place.

Ultimately it’s up to you on what you decide to own, but there is also no reason to say someone made the wrong choice because it doesn’t fit what YOU experience.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Straightgrain
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
$

Mea culpa; if I had the money or if I was a working man, I'da bought that deisel; and in an higher class pkg too....

But I love how the 6.2 runs in my STX; I pulled @3,000 pounds over the Oregon Cascades this last weekend; then I yanked the load 12 miles up a steep and rutted logging road....no problemo!

To hear the cam howl (like Sasquatch's battle cry) when it shifts down into 4th gear gives me goose bumps.

For a guy who didn't rebuild engines; I am a fan of how they work. I'm also in awe of the engineering of these Ford trucks.

I do have to get a lower hitch (4" drop); my STX is 2+" higher than the 98 K1500, and there wasn't enough weight bearing on the front axle of my trailer. I'd just tap on the brakes, and the front tires on the trailer would screach and smoke.....(a good way to get tail-gaters to back off...lol).

The trailering software and hardware with this truck is awesome.

I'm a fan....👌

Camping at 6,650 ft

Old 10-02-2018, 08:50 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I would guess if the diesel and gasser cost the same, there would be no gassers sold.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:58 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Towing in traffic, with limited power, means you are always at the mercy of; the left lane hogs, 18 wheelers, slow motorshomes, etc... With the 6.7, you're not.

Maybe I tow more and in heavier traffic. Sure, the gasser can do the job, I towed with them for years. But no one ever said: "I wish this truck had less power."
But I have said “I’m glad I did pay for something that costs more upfront, more to maintain and really don’t need”.

Nope, don’t need a 6.7. Towing is less the 40% of what the truck does. What I tow is about 8,000 lbs The 6.2 gets it done in that weight range with no problem.

Why pay more for something I don’t need. My money, my truck. Your money, your truck.

So until you start paying for my truck, your opinion is just that. Yours. Your opinion and 7 bucks will get you a cup of Starbucks coffee.

And thats one more overprice item I don’t need.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 PM
JD'sBigredv10
More Turbo
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts
As I previously stated, my five Ford trucks have all been gas powered, currently driving my 3.5 EB, and I haven't yet taken delivery of my 6.7. Guess that means I'm still a gasser guy for the time being. Spent a number of years in the V10 sub forumn so I'm well aware of all the diesel smack talk.I hope this new truck can live up to my lofty expectation. So many of the diesel guys act like diesel power is a drug. They are certifiably obsessed. Maybe after a few months of being yanked around by my vastly superior in every way power plant I will hold all you gas owners in contempt. 😁 For $9,200 I certainly hope so!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:29 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroo
I would guess if the diesel and gasser cost the same, there would be no gassers sold.
Incorrect...I would actually pay more for gas.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightgrain
But I love how the 6.2 runs in my STX; I pulled @3,000 pounds over the Oregon Cascades this last weekend; then I yanked the load 12 miles up a steep and rutted logging road....no problemo!
Nobody is doubting that the 6.2 moves the truck along just fine unloaded, and 3000lbs is unloaded (At least in the eyes of everyone with the 6.7)

Old 10-03-2018, 04:45 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
Incorrect...I would actually pay more for gas.
lol. Seriously you would?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Jack4x
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroo

lol. Seriously you would?
I would too. Every diesel vehicle I've owned, both cars and trucks, has cost me a ton of money and time in big repairs. I don't tow heavy enough to need a diesel, and the fuel economy improvement is completely canceled out by the higher price per gallon around here. I don't knock it for those who need it or want it, but to me personally diesel offers no upsides and a lot of downsides.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:57 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Honestly I have been driving ford diesels solely for over 20 years, I have never even once looked at a gasser, and for the most part never been around online posts of gas owners as the other sites kept them in their own forum. I can't honestly say anything bad about the gasser because I have never sat in one. But since this place puts them in the main forum and I read about them and how great they are, I'm curious to drive one at least. Also curious about the 7.3. The few times I've drove my wife suv or had a rental the differences in gas and diesel I do notice is in gas there is power at the beginning of the throttle, they rev higher but they feel very empty mid and high end. They are cheaper thats for sure. If the 7.3 comes out and gets incredible mpg's I'll seriously looks at them. I'd give up a little power for mpg's...and a huge discount.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:08 AM
18SD_Lariat
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You've got to do what is right for you. In the end, I ended up with a PSD because I tend to love when the turbos spool. I also love the power when pulling.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Chaserev800kid
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gassers have their place in the world for sure, no doubt. I personally would never own a superduty with a gas engine but to each his own. I’m with Clubwagon...towing, working or even unloaded driving is just so much more effortless with the Powerstroke. Could the diesel cost more to repair in the future? Yea it could. Could you die tomorrow? Yea you could. The point is you never know and if I’m going to pick a truck to tow with, make my life easier and less stressful while driving...it’s gonna be the diesel every time. If you haven’t pulled with one you just don’t know how capable they really are these days. I went from a 07 5.9 Cummins that was tuned to my 17 stock and it blows my mind. 6th gear everywhere towing my 11k gooseneck downshifting to 5th on the BIG hills I love it. Having the ability to pass safely when needed is nice too. I’m not bashing the gasser at all since there’s obviously a market for it. Seriously I hope everyone has a big smile every time they get behind the wheel of their superduty, powered with their engine of choice. Man isn’t having choices great 😎

Old 10-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nick112288

You stated the exact reason and point of this thread. IN YOUR WORLD. Not everyone tows the same as you. Just as you don’t tow the same as everyone else. Diesel has its place. Gas has its place.

Ultimately it’s up to you on what you decide to own, but there is also no reason to say someone made the wrong choice because it doesn’t fit what YOU experience.
Hey, relax OK? I didn't say you made the wrong choice, nor did I say that there wasn't a place for gassers. Heck I towed with them for years and know the shortcomings and values of both. I seriously considered buying a gasser instead of a Super Duty 6.7 last year. The whole point of that post was to point out that there are more advantages to the diesel than just climbing a grade. And I have yet to have somebody, after towing with a '17+ 6.7, tell me they would rather tow with a gasser.

My experience in owning and towing with diesels has been pretty good. I had an '07 6.0 PSD that I put 200K miles on. Yes, I had to bullet proof it but with that done the truck was great. And my old 7.3 PSD, while not fast, was certainly reliable.

You have your reasons for wanting/buying a 6.2. I said previously that the 6.2 would do everything I needed the truck to do but the 6.7 does everything better and that's why I bought it. YMMV.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe we need a 'Settled for a 2WD' thread...

Old 10-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 7591250sd
Maybe we need a 'Settled for a 2WD' thread...
That's pretty funny.

Actually, I "settled" for 4wd. I was looking for a 2wd Lariat because I have no need for 4wd. My truck spends most of its time towing on the interstate and 4wd would just add complexity, weight, expense and lower gas mileage. The problem was I couldn't fine one, anywhere. We found a couple of 2wd XLTs and the rest were XLs. Apparently, Ford doesn't build 2wd Lariats. Also, looking at resale 4wd will return its cost when its time to sell or trade.

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?