2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:10 PM
landman873
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkos1980
I had a budget and wasn't going over. I too was thinking of the 6.7 until I really sat down and thought it all out. My commute is less then 1 mile round trip to work. I put 5-6k miles a year on my truck and tow 10k lbs 10-15 times a year. My budget was 60k. Instead of a somewhat bare xlt psd, I did a lariat gasser 4.30 with everything I wanted. Can't wait for it to come in.
I get what you mean on the budget. I'm sure different parts of the country the price changes. But i spent $63 and some change for a 6.7 CCLB DRW Lariet ultimate package. So for me it was a no brainier to get that over 60k for a 250 gas job

Old 10-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't feel like I settled for anythjng. With the 6.2 I got what I want, for what I do. Diesels have their place, it's just not with me lol.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by landman873
I get what you mean on the budget. I'm sure different parts of the country the price changes. But i spent $63 and some change for a 6.7 CCLB DRW Lariet ultimate package. So for me it was a no brainier to get that over 60k for a 250 gas job
I probably should have been more clear. 60k msrp when I was building lol. I think my 350 came in OTD at 56,740 with 750 under invoice, 1000 incentives and 3k pco.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
I'm not surprised you're happy with the 6.2 with a gross of 11,300. That's not very heavy, and while the wind factor is something, it's not everything. With that kind of weight, a 6.2 should make anyone smile. My F550 is anywhere from 14k to 28k combined on a daily basis. While the V10's can also get it done, the 6.7 puts a smile on my face every day with just how easily it pulls, where the V10's get wheezy, gear hunting, pulling 4 mpg, it's just not any fun to drive. Diesels have their place, but for 11k lbs, you made the right choice sticking with a 6.2.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
The 6.2 is a very capable engine no question of that. And there are certainly reasons to choose either the 6.2 or the 6.7. 6.2 is cheaper to buy, maintain and in many cases has lower fuel costs. The 6.2 will provide adequate power for most any job the trucks can do. However, the 6.7 is an amazing engine. If you can justify the additional costs it won't disappoint.

I certainly didn't _need_ the 6.7. A 6.2 would have done what I need the truck to do adequately. For that fact, I could have gotten by with an F150 Max Tow EB3.5. But I liked the improvement in towing performance of the F250 over the F150. And on that same line, I loved the improvement in performance of the 6.7 over the 6.2.

"I have too much power for pulling this trailer" said no one ever.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:38 PM
JD'sBigredv10
More Turbo
Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts
I have pulled trailers with a 5.4 F-150, 6.8 F-250 and a 3.5 EB. I liked all of them. Actually, I love the 6.8 and 3.5. This time I ordered the 6.7. Never custom ordered a truck or had a diesel but really wanted to know what all the hubbub was about. That is a choice that I paid dearly for and could certainly live to regret. That being said, I am so looking forward to checking out the diesel experience. I thought about going the 6.2 route as it would have done everything I need a truck to do and saved a ton of cash. Instead I went all in. Checked every box. In a fit of insanity I managed to get my MSRP up to $81,615. There is no doubt that for my needs I would not have been "settling" for the gasser but it sure would have felt like I was.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Chaserev800kid
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just don’t ever tow with a 6.7 and you’ll stay happy 😉

Old 10-02-2018, 02:14 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by JD'sBigredv10
I have pulled trailers with a 5.4 F-150, 6.8 F-250 and a 3.5 EB. I liked all of them. Actually, I love the 6.8 and 3.5. This time I ordered the 6.7. Never custom ordered a truck or had a diesel but really wanted to know what all the hubbub was about. That is a choice that I paid dearly for and could certainly live to regret. That being said, I am so looking forward to checking out the diesel experience. I thought about going the 6.2 route as it would have done everything I need a truck to do and saved a ton of cash. Instead I went all in. Checked every box. In a fit of insanity I managed to get my MSRP up to $81,615. There is no doubt that for my needs I would not have been "settling" for the gasser but it sure would have felt like I was.
My hero! Congratulations my friend. You'll love it. 1600 RPM, 70-72 MPH, loaded or unloaded, 6th gear all day long. I could have bought another chassis cab for work and bought an F-150 for myself but it wouldn't have been nearly as gratifying as driving my fully optioned Platinum F-350 every day.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chaserev800kid
Just don’t ever tow with a 6.7 and you’ll stay happy 😉
^^^ This.

I have towed with both gassers and diesels. My first "tow vehicle" was a chevy van with a 4.3 V6. Towed a 1500 lbs trailer with a 2000 lbs car on it. I put well over 100K towing miles on this rig and every mile was work. I upgraded to a Ford Clubwagon XLT with a 5.0 V8 and loved it. Great van. Next was a 2001 Clubwagon Super Duty with a 7.3 PSD and an enclosed 24' car hauler. This was a whole new ballgame. The 7.3 in a van towing a heavy enclosed trailer was actually slower than the gas van pulling the open trailer but the diesel was less work on the driver and the 7.3 just didn't care about much of anything. 65 to 70 mph most anywhere. Longer climbs were done in 3rd and you had to be a little patient but it got the job done. Then an '07 F350 CCLB 6.0 PSD. Bullet proof the 6.0 and it was a great motor. Power was good and the transmission worked way better than the old 4R100.

After the 6.0 experience I thought about going back to a gasser. The EB3.5 F150 Max Tow was tempting. I could buy a nicely equipped Lariat F150 for about 2/3rds the price of my current '17 Super Duty. And it was a much simpler truck. But nothing, and I really mean _nothing_ tows as nicely as my Super Duty 6.7 CCSB. This thing eats interstate miles effortlessly, even towing the trailer. Its the most comfortable and capable tow vehicle I have ever driven. Sure the 6.2 would do the job but is not in the same league as the 6.7.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Congratulations on your new truck!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by morleyz
I kept it in manual, mostly in 3rd and just let the engine rev up and down the ascents and descents. Heading into Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass I had to downshift to 2nd a bit to keep speed. Only dropped below 50mph when I got caught up behind slower traffic.

I'm sure there are plenty who need the 6.7 for their needs, but I just wanted to toss my support for a 6.2 with 3.73 gears being a great towing machine for what is probably a pretty large travel trailer.
If you feel that running 50-60 MPH in 2nd or 3rd gear of a 6 speed transmission is "great" towing, then you bought the right machine.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
Here’s the way I look at it. When I tow, my all up weight with truck/vacation trailer/cargo is about 19K. About 10% of my driving is towing a heavy load like that.
Of that 10% of my total driving, maybe 20% of that is pulling hard up a hill where the diesel would really outperform my 6.2/4.3 combo. The rest is downhill or flat tracking where the 6.2 moves the weight equally as well as the diesel.
So, for my use, the diesel would only have a big advantage in only 2% of my driving. For the other 98%, the gasser easily does the job. For me the break even point for the diesel was around 180k miles, using MPG info from anecdotal data from this and other forums, assuming that I had no serious high dollar fuel system issues with the diesel.
I typically keep my vehicles for 15 years or so, so depreciation and resale values are essentially moot.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdnfireman
The rest is downhill or flat tracking where the 6.2 moves the weight equally as well as the diesel.
So, for my use, the diesel would only have a big advantage in only 2% of my driving. For the other 98%, the gasser easily does the job.
I am not trying to be critical of your reasoning or question your decision but, having towed a half million miles with both diesel and gas, that 2% you cite isn't reality in the world I tow in.

Sure, long climbs are obvious. I tell people who haven't towed with a 17+ 6.7 that in my truck; "the earth is flat. There are no mountains." But that sells the 6.7 short. Where it really shines is dealing with everything other than standard cruise. Whether working traffic, passing big slow trucks, or taking a short, uphill entrance ramp into heavy traffic, the 6.7 makes dealing with this stuff much easier. Or towing the scenic 2 lanes through the mountains. Its all effortless. That's how I justify the 6.7.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
I am not trying to be critical of your reasoning or question your decision but, having towed a half million miles with both diesel and gas, that 2% you cite isn't reality in the world I tow in.

Sure, long climbs are obvious. I tell people who haven't towed with a 17+ 6.7 that in my truck; "the earth is flat. There are no mountains." But that sells the 6.7 short. Where it really shines is dealing with everything other than standard cruise. Whether working traffic, passing big slow trucks, or taking a short, uphill entrance ramp into heavy traffic, the 6.7 makes dealing with this stuff much easier. Or towing the scenic 2 lanes through the mountains. Its all effortless. That's how I justify the 6.7.

I don't see how a diesel is a benefit in heavy traffic but....ok.... even if we add uphill entrance ramps and passing slow trucks into account.... lets say we add another 1% onto my calculations and say 3% of my driving is where a diesel would be beneficial.... as for the scenic 2 lane roads.... I haven't seen one yet that I've needed big power on... theres either a rental motorhome ahead of me or some geriatric that cant go above 40mph without having a nosebleed.... the diesel is better for towing for sure.... just not in all situations, and unless you tow a lot or really, really heavy, they're not justifiable from a cost perspective....they're a want rather than a need for most people.....

Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdnfireman
I don't see how a diesel is a benefit in heavy traffic but....ok.... .
Towing in traffic, with limited power, means you are always at the mercy of; the left lane hogs, 18 wheelers, slow motorshomes, etc... With the 6.7, you're not.

Maybe I tow more and in heavier traffic. Sure, the gasser can do the job, I towed with them for years. But no one ever said: "I wish this truck had less power."

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?