2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71
In the past, you'd get your extra initial cost back plus some when trading/selling a diesel. Now, you may get your upfront cost back, but that's about it. People have said that the emissions stuff is making newer diesels not as desirable as a used purchase. I don't know, as I haven't negotiated for one in a while. I do know that trade value plummets with the emission parts removed. Some dealers won't even accept them that way, because of the expense to put back on in order to sell them legally.
I had two different dealers tell me they do not and will not take any diesel truck in trade that has been deleted period. The second one told me the dealership took in a nearly brand new ford f350 that was totally deleted and had a tuner and they could only give him $9k on a less than year old $72k truck. And that the confrontation was so bad they had to call the sheriff to stop it. The truck owner was so pissed they thought he was going postal. Now I hear the EPA is really cracking down on the firms that make and sell tuners that facilitate doing the deletes. SO if yall are thinking about buying a diesel and deleting it, better think twice about that. Just sayin'...

PS: Thankfully my old 5.9 CUMMINS has no emissions to delete! Any trucks bought new from here on will be gassers...

Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 932 Likes on 734 Posts
Yeah if you delete one definitely keep the stock parts!

I’ve been reading its hardly worth it. Little mpg gain.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
Morleyz - I've got the same type setup here. My F250 is 75% commuter truck and 25% 5th wheel hauler with minimal elevation issues 98% of the time. Yeah, the higher the grade the slower she goes but does anyone really need to pull 10K+ LBS over 55MPH anyhow? I generally give myself a little head start by leaning on the gas a bit coming into a big hill vs. punching it later when I'm slowed down. My wife got a little nervous about the engine RPMs wrapping up a bit in 3rd gear but the truck has plenty of pulling power when I need it. I haven't put it to the test by towing in higher elevations (>5K FT), but I think she'll be fine most of the time.

As much as I would have liked to buy a diesel for the torque, I just couldn't justify the expense. $10K added to the purchase price and higher maintenance costs put me off too much. Did you know there's as much as an 88 cent per gallon difference between Regular gasoline and Diesel in Texas?!! Now multiply that times that big 48 gallon tank. If you fill up once per week, the Diesel owner is going to pay over $2,000.00 more per year for fuel - Yikes!

Gas Buddy
Heh... From Corpus Christi south to Mexico, diesel may well be (at times) a full $1 per gallon more than gas. Farther north in San Antonio to New Braunfels and Austin, over towards Houston, typically 40 cents higher to near a dollar higher dependent on time of year of course. But since the advent of ULSD, never has diesel been cheaper than gasoline. Such a boon-doggle for the refiners, as the ULSD units and feed pre-treaters have been built and paid for many times over by now. Of course the gov-mandated methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE) thing raped the refiners pretty bad. Anyway diesel is (from now on most likely) going to be higher than gas and just the way it is.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Its about 50 cents more in Houston right now.

Will drop after heating oil season and diesel winter blend misc.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
If diesel is staying around 15-20% more than regular and you are average 16.5mpg in a diesel and 10.5mpg in a gasser you’ll still be way ahead in the diesel.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:11 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe T
If diesel is staying around 15-20% more than regular and you are average 16.5mpg in a diesel and 10.5mpg in a gasser you’ll still be way ahead in the diesel.
You must be compairing a 2wd diesel to a lifted 4wd gasser to come up with those numbers.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
You must be compairing a 2wd diesel to a lifted 4wd gasser to come up with those numbers.
Truck in the signature has averaged 17.2, for the last 5300+ miles. That's calculated with a fuel app, tracking mileage and gallons used, but also lines up with the on board calculations. I don't know where the gas trucks come in on real world mileage, but the best I have seen mentioned is around 13 combined.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 2013 ram 2500 ccsb 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7 and my current truck is a 2017 f250 ccsb 4x4 both trucks leveled on 35's. The ram averaged 14.5 and the f250 averages around 13 (12.7 to be exact) on the same commute. Between saving nearly $1 a gallon on fuel and much lower maintenance I'm experiencing a noticable savings with the gas engine myself. Not to mention the $9000 savings from not getting the diesel this time. I'm not loaded like some guys on here I make a monthly payment so I see those savings everytime I make a payment as well.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:48 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing that the 6.7 doesn't produce more torque. Of course it does. What many of us are saying is that for our applications, it's way more than we need and the 6.2 is more than capable. In our cases the 6.2 does what we need it to do and are able to save $9,000.00, plus the additional maintenance related costs because we don't need the diesel. Now I keep hearing how the diesels are worth more at trade in than the gas. Of course it's relative considering you paid more but according to Kelly Blue Book when comparing equally equipped 2016 Ford F350's with the same options and mileage after two years the diesel is worth $5-6,000.00 more than the gas. But considering you paid an extra $9,000.00 for it the argument could be made that you lost another $3-4,000.00 dollars at trade in buying a diesel. Looking at only getting back $5,000.00 of a $9,000.00 dollar investment doesn't go into the win column for me. If your towing weight requires a diesel, or you just want one, you are going to pay extra for that. If you don't tow heavy enough to require one then why take a double hit for something you don't need. That's all any of us have been saying.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid
I don't think anyone is arguing that the 6.7 doesn't produce more torque. Of course it does. What many of us are saying is that for our applications, it's way more than we need and the 6.2 is more than capable. In our cases the 6.2 does what we need it to do and are able to save $9,000.00, plus the additional maintenance related costs because we don't need the diesel. Now I keep hearing how the diesels are worth more at trade in than the gas. Of course it's relative considering you paid more but according to Kelly Blue Book when comparing equally equipped 2016 Ford F350's with the same options and mileage after two years the diesel is worth $5-6,000.00 more than the gas. But considering you paid an extra $9,000.00 for it the argument could be made that you lost another $3-4,000.00 dollars at trade in buying a diesel. Looking at only getting back $5,000.00 of a $9,000.00 dollar investment doesn't go into the win column for me. If your towing weight requires a diesel, or you just want one, you are going to pay extra for that. If you don't tow heavy enough to require one then why take a double hit for something you don't need. That's all any of us have been saying.
A few things, I don't know what the up charge for 2016 was to get the Diesel, but in 2017, it was only 8000, it went to 9000 for 2018. I would suspect for 2016 it was 8000 or less, which lowers that 'extra' depreciation a bit. Also if you got bay to yet older trucks, that just 3 years old, I had done a similar comparison, with 6 year old trucks, and mileage around 100K, and the difference really starts to swing toward the diesel.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 AM
catrasca
Senior User
I’m amazed at how much traction this gets. I guess we all want to be right about our choices.

Is a bigger home better? Sure, you can put more stuff in it, host guests, even brag about your sq ft. But it costs more to buy, maintain, keep warm in Winter, cool in Summer, insure and pay taxes on. Some need the extra rooms, some want to have them just in case, some just like having a big home.

So, what home size did you get? Was it based on your needs? Did you get the biggest available?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 AM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by llmflyfisher
I had two different dealers tell me they do not and will not take any diesel truck in trade that has been deleted period. The second one told me the dealership took in a nearly brand new ford f350 that was totally deleted and had a tuner and they could only give him $9k on a less than year old $72k truck. And that the confrontation was so bad they had to call the sheriff to stop it. The truck owner was so pissed they thought he was going postal. Now I hear the EPA is really cracking down on the firms that make and sell tuners that facilitate doing the deletes. SO if yall are thinking about buying a diesel and deleting it, better think twice about that. Just sayin'...

PS: Thankfully my old 5.9 CUMMINS has no emissions to delete! Any trucks bought new from here on will be gassers...
The last two vehicles I traded in both dealers made me sign a statement saying the exhaust and emission system was never tampered with.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
....the up charge for 2016 was to get the Diesel, but in 2017, it was only 8000, it went to 9000 for 2018. I would suspect for 2016 it was 8000 or less,
2019/2018 $9120 (+325)
2017 $8795 (+315)
2016 $8480

Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid
Why buy a Ferrari if a Camry will get you there. I don't think there's anyone that doesn't understand that argument.

We've gone over this numerous times here on the board. First off, if you consider a vehicle purchase an "investment" then you're doing it wrong. Its an expense and a depreciating asset. On average you get about $6k back from the $8-9K you spend. So it costs you $2-3k plus whatever maintenance you spend, which for me has only been a couple hundred a year more than a similar gasser. So let's say its $4k. So in all those years you are driving the truck you get 500 more lbs of torque, longer distances between fill ups, integrated exhaust braking (both huge pluses for towing), lower RPMs, blah blah blah. You pay for that, $4-5k. That's a steal to me, I'd happily pay twice that. To others, its a waste of money. You pick whether or not that's worth it to you and you go with it. There's no real debate here. How do you debate what's worth it to someone else?

Its not really an argument. I think people just tend to defend what they spent their money on and want to prove to others that they made the "right" choice. It really doesn't matter to any of us what you drive. Just buy it, drive it and be happy. Too many people self identify with their motor choice, its a really weird human condition. Its like Ford guys fighting with RAM or Chevy guys. Its just a company selling you ****, how you somehow amalgamate that brand with your self identity is such a weird concept. These companies don't give two ****s about you, they just want your money. Its the same thing with the 6.2L and 6.7L.....in the end we all have some amazing trucks. Dont worry about the jackass on FB telling you that you should've bought a diesel, or that a diesel is a waste of money. You bought the truck you wanted, that does what you needed it to do, at a price that makes sense to you. Screw anyone else.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tricon
Its not really an argument. I think people just tend to defend what they spent their money on and want to prove to others that they made the "right" choice. Dont worry about the jackass on FB telling you that you should've bought a diesel. Screw anyone else.
I think you finally made your point, twice.

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?