2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
Or the title could be "Just another post where gassers converge to convince themselves they made a great decision".

okay, we get it. You bought a gasser. Can we go a week without someone starting a post looking for support to convince them they made a good decision? For the love of god, start a self help group in the general section or something. Have a gasser meet up where you all pat yourselves on the back for buying a gasser. Geez, if you need continued support about your purchase decision, it makes one wonder whether you made the right one.

The only question you should ask is "Is this truck right for me?", "Does it do what I need?" and "Can I afford it?". Not sure why there is such a need (as evidenced by the number of threads and posts) for people who bought gassers to continually justify their purchase? You've got a nice truck. Who cares what engine you have. i have joked about telling gassers to "move to the right when on mountain passes, but honestly, if you can afford to drive one of these (gas or diesel), you've probably done well for yourself. Congrats. Enjoy it and don't worry about what's under the hood. EOR
We were waiting for a diesel curmudgeon to show up. Thanks for stepping up.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
I knew my post would get a rise out of somebody. It just took a little longer then expected. Cheers.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:04 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the 6.2 because I wanted the gas truck for payload, hauling my tools and equipment around,plowing and low maintenance.I drove the 6.7 too. If I pulled real heavy a lot and put a lot of mileage on every year I would have bought the diesel. Both excellent motors. I didn’t settle for the gasser. I chose it for my needs.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
We were waiting for a diesel curmudgeon to show up. Thanks for stepping up.
my pleasure.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:34 PM
dingdinglai
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morleyz
I read a lot of threads on here about the 6.2 vs the 6.7, many negative on the 6.2..."you'll regret not having the diesel" "the loss of power in the hills/mountains is terrible", etc. etc. I just wanted to take a moment to provide some feedback for anyone who might be waffling between the two. I have a 2017 250, SCAB, LB, 6.2L, 3.73 gears. A few days ago we hitched up our Jayco Eagle 330RSTS travel trailer (scaled weight about 11.3K as ready for camping) and headed out from Chicago to our first destination, Moab UT. The flatlands of Iowa and Nebraska were pretty uneventful and even driving through the constant showers wasn't particularly stressful. We spent the night in Golden CO and headed out on I70 mid-morning. I've driven the mountain passes before, but never with a trailer. Heading out, based on feedback from this forum and the various RV forums I read, I thought I was making a huge mistake even attempting to pull this trailer over the Rockies.

I'm happy to report that when we stopped for lunch in Avon after finishing the toughest passes that I literally had a smile on my face with the performance of this truck. I kept it in manual, mostly in 3rd and just let the engine rev up and down the ascents and descents. Heading into Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass I had to downshift to 2nd a bit to keep speed. Only dropped below 50mph when I got caught up behind slower traffic. Engine temp was same as always, trans temp peaked at 206. Once I got past Vail, I was able to put it back into D for the remainder of the trip. I'm probably not going to make this trip again any time soon, but I'm no longer worried about towing my camper in just about any situation. I will admit that I probably got 6.5mpg from Golden to Vail, but since I bought this truck to pull the camper but also have to use it for my daily commute, I'm so happy I went with the gasser as it doesn't seem to mind the short trips, has more cargo cap. and saved me 8K for a feature I would rarely take advantage of.

I'm sure there are plenty who need the 6.7 for their needs, but I just wanted to toss my support for a 6.2 with 3.73 gears being a great towing machine for what is probably a pretty large travel trailer.
that is great information. thanks!

Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User
It's funny reading back through the posts how many 6.2 owners are glad they got the 6.2 and very happy with them. The 6.2 seems to do exactly what it was purchased for. In fact even a couple 6.7 people have said next time they buy they'll get the 6.2. Seems like the ones needing support and convincing they didn't throw away an extra $9,000.00 are some of the diesel owners. The real irony here is that some diesel owners just keep coming back to this thread to disparage the 6.2, yet many/most have never owned one. Maybe they should start an "Insecure diesel owners" group.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Kevinm1980
Senior User
Yeah the diesel owners just look at the low end torque and thing the 6.2 can only do half the work.. Have tried explaining its not the simple because horsepower, rpm and the magic of gear reduction plays a big part, with gear reduction horsepower plays a big part, the 6.7 is more powerful but the 6.2 430lb-ft@3800rpm with a 2:1 reduction would output 860(ignoring parisitic losses) at 1900rpms, near where the 6.7 peaks, the 6.2 @5700rpm with a 3:1 reduction would output 1050@1900, yes you can make the gear reduction argument for the diesel but can it rev to 3800? And if it can after 2800rpm the torque drops off fast, seen a dyno and it was under 300lb-ft at 3300 rpm, but sometines explaining basic math and grade 7 physics to a diesel owner is like trying to teach a dog algebra .. Lol

Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Lol gear reduction, get out of here with that bullshiiii

You going to cruise down the highway pulling a 15k 5th wheel at 7k rpms hahahaha.

I don't think any of the diesel guys really talk **** on the 6.2L, I've never really seen it here. But hands down the 6.7L is the better motor, and that seems to get under some of the 6.2L guys skin. This topic will just forever be one of those ones that pops up and plays itself out over and over and over and over and....

6.7L is a beast, it costs more money up front, cost a couple grand more in maintenance, you get most of your initial outlay back when you sell it. The money scares some people.
6.2L is an awesome motor in the gas world, does most medium duty stuff with ease, gets crap gas mileage, costs less at the time of purchase, get less at the time of sale.

There's really nothing else to be said, and yet it will continue on and on. I'll always buy the diesel, cause I love that torque and cruising on the hwy at 1k RPMs at 70mph. I personally like that, and don't care about parking $9k in my truck while I own it. Others don't see the return on investment, so they won't get the 6.2L....honestly, who the **** cares. Buy a truck that you like. Drive it till you dont like it anymore. Move on to the next truck. Its a truck, not your personal identity. If someone doesn't like your choice in what motor you like best, screw em, who cares. Its not worth your time because debating preferences is an absolutely ridiculous premise.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
6.7L is a beast, it costs more money up front, cost a couple grand more in maintenance, you get most of your initial outlay back when you sell it. The money scares some people.
6.2L is an awesome motor in the gas world, does most medium duty stuff with ease, gets crap gas mileage, costs less at the time of purchase, get less at the time of sale.

There's really nothing else to be said, and yet it will continue on and on.
Yep.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:24 PM
CaliforniaKid
Junior User

I don't think any of the diesel guys really talk **** on the 6.2L, I've never really seen it here. But hands down the 6.7L is the better motor.
Seems rather contradictory. This is your idea of not talking ****? LMAO

Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
6.2L....gets crap gas mileage.
I might debate this when comparing the two. As diesel fuel is typically 25-30% higher per gallon around here.

Buy a truck that you like. If someone doesn't like your choice in what motor you like best, screw em, who cares.
Right on!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid
Seems rather contradictory. This is your idea of not talking ****? LMAO
That's not **** talking, its fact. If you look at it objectively...don't personally identify with your choice of motor, close your eyes, someone tells you there's a motor that makes 440hp/935tq, gets better mileage, has integrated exhaust brake. Or one that makes 385hp/430tq.

That's all Im saying. Just raw performance/capability. Its a better motor. Its not the right motor for every situation. It costs more. Maintenance is more. Yada yada. You adjust your choice based on price, risk, the job you need it to do, the type of fuel you want, your ability to drown out the nagging wife on how much you spent....there's tons of variables there.

Performance is easy to single out and quantify, so its the only one I'll deign to speak to. Everything else is a personal choice and its retarded to argue about.

I'm not talking **** about the 6.2L.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:17 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Looking at it objectively, I will argue (discuss)....its only the better motor in reference to torque..especially at the lower RPMs it develops it at. It get better MPGs at a higher cost per gallon (around here) so out of pocket money, not sure there is a great differential there. Better motor? I think that is subjective. I do love this comment....ability to drown out the nagging wife on how much you spent.

Its obvious, we all tend to support what we purchased for whatever reasons those might be.

Cheers to both camps. Lets party as 2017+ Ford Super Duty owners.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
When I say mileage, I mean that in an objective performance data point. 36g of gas in a 6.2L, 36g of diesel in a 6.7L, hook up a 10k lbs trailer to both and the diesel is going to travel quite a bit further before having to stop and refuel.

Also, saying it has better torque down low is a bit understating it, you could put a second 6.2L in the bed and still have less torque. That's obviously the big draw to most guys towing.

Price and cost are all subjective to our personal choices, preferences, bank accounts, wives.... No point imo digging into that morass. If price is your only concern, the 6.2L wins hands down. Without a doubt.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
I believe most of the bantering in this thread is just in good fun. Clearly for many applications and jobs diesel is the on!y way to go. They are in just about all large trucks, large boats, dozers etc.for a reason. Gonna pull a 20k fiver,need a diesel. But for many lighter applications the gasser will do fine as well.

My biggest concern with a diesel is not initial price, difference in fuel, cold weather performance or some of the other gripes we hear. I tend to keep vehicles a long time so my concern is post warranty repairs. I have seen far too many instances where there were huge repair bills as they age. Just one example my FIL who absolutely needs diesels to pull heavy equipment spent more on one truck in repairs then I have spent on all my gas trucks combined since 1979. Granted it was the dreaded 6.0 and the 6.7 is undoubtedly a better engine but repairs can still be very pricey post warranty.

That being said if I find myself pulling something considerably larger then my 7k TT someday across country I would likely get the diesel to have the right tool for the job. Most likely there will be improvements made on the emissions systems etc over time, unless of course the governments step in again and require more BS added on.

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?