Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4r100 Woes and advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:32 AM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could have it looked at by KC Turbos. They sell Warren Diesel upgraded transmissions which are really good quality. I am not sure if they install/service or not, but they would definitely tell you a good place to go if they don't. They are located in Apache Junction. Not too far from Phoenix looking at the map.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
The best advice you could give your father is to get rid of the DP and get a hydra with 1023 or SDK tunes and a HD4R100 from a shop that does not charge an arm and leg to install. The HD4R100 is more than capable of doing what he will be asking it to do. Again, if there are problems in the future, not necessarily within the warranty period, then any Ford shop can look at it, not just one dude in CA or MO.

If you are wanting the best, then BTS is what you want. Mcnnance865 gave you another good option, but again you will be limiting him to a specialized shop because I would not want Joe Blow Transmissions tearing into my high end transmission.

Whether or not you take the recommendation to him to get a Hydra and a HD4R100, well that is between you two. There are plenty of members on here that have purchased and had a lot of success with the HD4R100. For him, follow on service should be a key factor.

As for the DP, well years ago they were the only game in town. Now, they are far from the 1st choice for anyone in the know. So many more options available now to stick with someone.

Although I am a ZF6 guy, so everything I have said may be complete BS. I just know what I have learned and experienced through reading 1000's of posts, opinions, problem threads and speaking to Super Duty owners in person. Except for the Hydra, you could not pay me enough to install a DP in my truck and they are 60 miles down the road from me, no F'ing way...

Old 10-03-2018, 03:27 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Full disclosure, I am still a fan and consumer of DP.Their customer service and longevity in this market are on par with anyone. I am running an F6 and I forgot that prior to me getting the HD4R100, I had the BTS valvebody so I already had tunes that were for an upgraded valvebody. So I apalogize for giving the wrong information. To trash Jody here for "nickel and dime-ing" on the forum that he sponsors is ridiculous.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
To trash Jody here for "nickel and dime-ing" on the forum that he sponsors is ridiculous.
Its not bashing, it is fact.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by HKusp
Full disclosure, I am still a fan and consumer of DP.Their customer service and longevity in this market are on par with anyone. I am running an F6 and I forgot that prior to me getting the HD4R100, I had the BTS valvebody so I already had tunes that were for an upgraded valvebody. So I apalogize for giving the wrong information. To trash Jody here for "nickel and dime-ing" on the forum that he sponsors is ridiculous.
I wrote the words I did from my own personal experiences with DP. It is a shame too, as I said earlier they are 60 miles from my home... PHP is just down the road as well and they have been much more receptive to questions related to products and services they offer.

We all know what works great for one truck or owner has a very different effect for another truck or owner. I am not a fan of DP, but that is my opinion which is worth what you pay for it.

Sorry for the OT spin in the thread.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:35 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is the HD4R100 an actual transmission or is it a kit? Once I was finally able to get a hold of a Ford dealer who cared enough to talk to me about it, he was calling me back saying he almost had all the parts pieced together to give me a quote an is supposed to call me back today at some point with a quote for everything. So it sounds like it's a kit at the one Ford dealer I'm speaking to. Right now, with what I'm reading, it sounds like a solid option. He specifically didn't want to go with a transmission that was after market because then he would have to find somebody to do the install and then anytime there was an issue, he would have to remove it and ship it back to them. There are Ford's all over the country so that's a pretty big plus to be able to bring it in if needed if he's out of the area.

As far as DP goes, I'm wondering what makes them so inferior to others. Granted this thread is mainly about the transmission issues my dad faces, I'm curious because I am eventually going to do injectors and tuning on my truck and I went with DP on my 97. I was very happy and my buddy who swapped a 7.3 into his 96 bronco is running their tunes as well and is very happy. I haven't really read that many bad things about them either

I also don't know much about anybody else other than DP. Is hudra a tuner or is hydra hardware?

There's no way my dad is going to switch from DP tunes. He dropped almost $100 for his F6 setup with all his tunes so for that fact alone I don't think he will be changing.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
A quick search for HD4R100 part number I came up with these from this post.

- 6U2Z7V000FRM
- 6U2Z7V000LRM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-warranty.html

The HD4R100 is not a kit, it is an entire transmission. As I understand it, the HD4R100 is a beefed up version (hence the HD) of the 4R100 that is fully capable of handling much more work and power than the 4R100 could even look at. If I had an automatic and my transmission was going out, I would only be looking at the HD4R100 for future service and parts availability.

As for DP, you saw my thoughts on them above and they most likely will not change. Too many other choices and tuners out there now. Not everyone likes yellow sports cars, I do... What difference does it make what I like or prefer, do what is right in your mind and your heart. At the end of the day it is your money and your thoughts when you put your head on the pillow at night.

Hydra is the hardware/chip that PHP designed that changed the way the 7.3 tuning world works. The Hydra is installed and you have access to "free" or tunes that you have already paid for from PHP. If you feel you want to get some custom tunes from say 1023 Tuning, SDK, Gear Head, etc... then you can purchase them and have them emailed to you. Once you have the files on email, simply load the tunes to the Hydra and you are all set. That easy...

If he is stuck on the F6 and likes it, then it is what it is. Again, his time, his money and his heart feeling is what he has to live with.

The HD4R100 is absolutely the right choice for him though, there is no doubt.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:56 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
To reiterate Sous, make absolutely, positively, no effing doubt the trans is an HD4R100 built by Ford, not any kind of rebuild from the dealer.

Other big names are BTS and John Woods, although JW has had some bad customer service recently. Also PATC showed up on other forums with positive reviews.

With a big trailer like that get a decel tune from DP. Turns the EBPV into an engine brake. My 5er is only like 8k but I don't have to touch the brakes on a 6% descent. Good luck getting a decel tune anywhere else.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:28 AM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
To reiterate Sous, make absolutely, positively, no effing doubt the trans is an HD4R100 built by Ford, not any kind of rebuild from the dealer.

Other big names are BTS and John Woods, although JW has had some bad customer service recently. Also PATC showed up on other forums with positive reviews.

With a big trailer like that get a decel tune from DP. Turns the EBPV into an engine brake. My 5er is only like 8k but I don't have to touch the brakes on a 6% descent. Good luck getting a decel tune anywhere else.
I will check into it some more and inform the dealer next time I talk to them, as well as call anymore Ford dealers in the valley I can find. I've called 3 so far and only 1 has been responsive and willing to work with me.

One of the tunes my dad did get from get was a deceleration tune using the EBPV. He also has a tune for the A/C when sitting in traffic. Everything else is towing settings or daily driver/ emissions/no start.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:14 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Without checking into the p/n that Sous referred, there was a thread not long ago where "some" of the HD's came with a relation of a PTO gearing (something to that effect), and if thats the case, youll want that one!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 AM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Without checking into the p/n that Sous referred, there was a thread not long ago where "some" of the HD's came with a relation of a PTO gearing (something to that effect), and if thats the case, youll want that one!
PTO as in power take off? Isn't that an auxiliary gearbox that comes on dump trucks and similar?

Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ahhh, the slippery slope tuner argument..... It's a lot like comparing Pecker size, in the end they're all just different....

Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
So I called a local Ford dealer today with that part number for the HD4R100 and they said it shows up as an 01 or newer 4R100 and it is for F350-F550's. May be it, may not be. But he quoted me $4280 for it plus $1000 core. Seems higher than what people are saying online so I feel like that's incorrect. If it is, my dad already has his eyes set on a local rebuilder who quoted him $2800 including free diagnostic to confirm as well as a billet torque converter.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A Ford dealer certified HD From the Dealer is about right..... anybody selling a "HD4r100" for 2800$ is lying to you....My own independent rebuilder won't touch it for under $4000. and that's for the upgrade from stock...

Old 10-09-2018, 02:47 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
So I called a local Ford dealer today with that part number for the HD4R100 and they said it shows up as an 01 or newer 4R100 and it is for F350-F550's. May be it, may not be. But he quoted me $4280 for it plus $1000 core. Seems higher than what people are saying online so I feel like that's incorrect. If it is, my dad already has his eyes set on a local rebuilder who quoted him $2800 including free diagnostic to confirm as well as a billet torque converter.
I don't know if you know Justin Norpal ( 480-232-7709 ) He's in Tempe. Very good Local Trans builder. Lot's of the Arizona Power stroke club members use him. Give him a call.

Quick Reply: 4r100 Woes and advice