6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck won't start - no codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:22 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Truck won't start - no codes

So yesterday afternoon, I started my truck with remote start, fired right up. Drive 2 minutes to the store, get back in the truck and NO start! I wasn't able to pull codes with either Forscan or Torque Pro. I unplugged the tuner, made no difference. After messing with it for about 30 minutes, it started, no tuner plugged into obd port.
So I drive straight home, leave it running, and still no codes to pull. I shut it off, and it won't restart! This morning, it started up, no codes, but again would not re start! Any suggestions? I left the tuner unplugged overnight, and I don't feel this is related. I only get these symbols on the screen....

Old 09-30-2018, 12:51 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
What's your computer reported battery voltage KOEO and KOER?

Old 09-30-2018, 12:58 PM
slorider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the engine cranking over and no start or not cranking at all? Odd that the engine light is on but no stored codes.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:13 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by slorider
Odd that the engine light is on but no stored codes.
The engine light is always on when the key is in "run" with the engine off.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:21 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kper05
What's your computer reported battery voltage KOEO and KOER?
I'm not sure how to find that....my batteries aren't low though, if that means anything?

Originally Posted by slorider
Is the engine cranking over and no start or not cranking at all? Odd that the engine light is on but no stored codes.
no cranking at all.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
In the past, on my 7.3 there was a neutral safety switch that was in the steering collum that wore out, or had gotten out of adjustment. I really have no clue if that could be similar on these newer trucks or not? I did try starting it in neutral, and it made no difference...

Old 09-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few months ago I had a similar 2014 6.7L no start (no crank/ no glow plug) condition; I don't know if there were any codes.
After an indy mechanic dicked around with it several times ($400, w/ only intermittent success) I gave up and had it towed to the dealer.

They replaced a flaky power relay (I think they said it went to the ECM (or PCM?). I had them keep the truck another week (so they could frequently check for starting/ it did). The part was $43; however the many hours looking + towing came to $500 - $600.

Just to be safe, several days later the truck belonged to another out of town dealer.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:34 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Army RET
A few months ago I had a similar 2014 6.7L no start (no crank/ no glow plug) condition; I don't know if there were any codes.
After an indy mechanic dicked around with it several times ($400, w/ only intermittent success) I gave up and had it towed to the dealer.

They replaced a flaky power relay (I think they said it went to the ECM (or PCM?). I had them keep the truck another week (so they could frequently check for starting/ it did). The part was $43; however the many hours looking + towing came to $500 - $600.

Just to be safe, several days later the truck belonged to another out of town dealer.
You traded your truck in over $500 bucks? Unless You were already considering an upgrade that seems pretty wild.
Well I let the truck sit a few hours, and still no start, or crank! Frustrating

Old 09-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In full disclosure:
When the problem first arose (Jan.) I knew my batteries were 4 years old. Despite them testing as OK I replaced them: $300? No help.
Then I tried the $400 indy mechanic route; after three visits (all at my expense) he quit taking my calls. Now it's June and we're wanting to go camping.
Then we went to the dealer for the repair.

During this 5-6 months we decided on up-grading the 5th. One thing led to another and the deal was done.
The new 5th added 10 feet and 6000 pounds over/above the old 5th, now well over the (former) F250s capabilities (and over many F350's as well).

Old 09-30-2018, 05:10 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET

They replaced a flaky power relay (I think they said it went to the ECM (or PCM?). I had them keep the truck another week (so they could frequently check for starting/ it did). The part was $43; .....
based on this looking through fuse panel one could try relay 38, it is labeled as ECM. Also you may try to reseat the plug by park break assembly.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Any other ideas? It still won't start, I'm probably going to get it to the mechanic today...

Old 10-01-2018, 08:26 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim

based on this looking through fuse panel one could try relay 38, it is labeled as ECM. Also you may try to reseat the plug by park break assembly.
Travis, have you looked at these two items? Especially the large connector that is directly above the parking brake. It is known to work loose with repeated parking brake use, and cause all sorts of gremlins.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by djousma
Travis, have you looked at these two items? Especially the large connector that is directly above the parking brake. It is known to work loose with repeated parking brake use, and cause all sorts of gremlins.
I'm not familiar with the location of that plug. Is it on the kick panel on the side, or above it up near the obd port? Thanks!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:45 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
It mounted up under the dash at the top of the parking brake lever. Comments from others indicate that repeated use of parking brake makes the connector move, and eventually come loose enough causing intermittent connection. you can try searching this forum, it's been discussed quite a bit on and off over the years on the 2011-and up models. There were some photos too.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:33 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Well I located that plug. It didn't feel loose at all, but I did unhook it, and back up again, that didn't fix the issue. I removed the relay #38 for the PCM under the hood, and I'm going to go pick up a new one. If that doesn't work, it's off to the shop for the truck! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: Truck won't start - no codes