What to do first? Parts source? Mechanic rec. NYC/NJ area? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Reload this Page >

What to do first? Parts source? Mechanic rec. NYC/NJ area?

Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 09-28-2018, 06:27 AM
broncowski
New User
broncowski is starting off with a positive reputation.

Just bought an '88 Bronco EB. Any parts sources you guys like/trust? Mechanics in NYC or northern NJ area?

List of to do's:

1. Replace fuel tank and sender. The gauge is broken on full so I figure while I'm replacing the sender to put a new tank in. Advice here was to get original equipment from Ford for the sender
2. Replace the distributor cap, wires, rotor and plugs.
3. Replace a few window switches (passenger window and rear window - it works w key!)
4. Catalytic converter? Other exhaust/emissions work. Would be great to get advice about how to improve exhaust quality. LUKILY I don't have to get it inspected or pass emissions. BUT would still like to get the emissions improved.
5. Other minor cosmetic things: Fixing sagging headliner (how?), small bit of rust on wheel well, preserve non-rusted areas, touch up some paint, patch original seat tear.

Thanks guys for any and all advice about how to maintain and improve this amazing classic Bronco. I will be posting some more photos once I get them uploaded to my computer.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE...
1. Replace fuel tank and sender. The gauge is broken on full so I figure while I'm replacing the sender to put a new tank in. Advice here was to get original equipment from Ford for the sender

Using Motorcraft Parts can save you problems down the road, but have had luck with some aftermarket parts.
The new sender may fix the gage….

2. Replace the distributor cap, wires, rotor and plugs.

Fuel & Air Filter, Oil & Filter change, Tranny & Filter change
Clean battery connections & ground connections
May need to replace vacuum lines, O2 sensor, EGR-Valve eventually.

4. Catalytic converter? Other exhaust/emissions work. Would be great to get advice about how to improve exhaust quality. LUKILY I don't have to get it inspected or pass emissions. BUT would still like to get the emissions improved.

If your Cat is original, it is probably due for replacement.
Is your smog system intact?

Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 PM
broncowski
New User
broncowski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks!
Def going to take your advice. Esp with parts and fixes for filters etc in #2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.