1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need 1948 ford pu wheel fitment help

Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Silman99
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need 1948 ford pu wheel fitment help

Building a 1948 f1, with No Limit (brand) chassis/frame. New crate 437 motor.
what is preferred best bolt pattern ? I can choose due to new chassis.

what diameter rims do I use?
my truck is low,but not radically low. Chassis has a raised bed. 4-5 inches

also wondering loosely what width rims are best ? Tire side specs and tire width?

im using 4 inch rear wheel tubs. I was thinking of- 10” wide rims ,12” wide tires tread.
please advise I need help to move forward with my build.
long time cr wrencher and highly technical, but don’t know everything. Ha thanks silman99

Old 09-28-2018, 08:42 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Silman99
Building a 1948 f1, with No Limit (brand) chassis/frame. New crate 437 motor.
what is preferred best bolt pattern ? I can choose due to new chassis.

what diameter rims do I use?
my truck is low,but not radically low. Chassis has a raised bed. 4-5 inches

also wondering loosely what width rims are best ? Tire side specs and tire width?

im using 4 inch rear wheel tubs. I was thinking of- 10” wide rims ,12” wide tires tread.
please advise I need help to move forward with my build.
long time cr wrencher and highly technical, but don’t know everything. Ha thanks silman99
These are 10” rims made by Wheelsmith. The rear axle is a Ford 8.8” from an Explorer Sportrac. The rear springs are Superslide from Posies and give 2 ½ “ drop.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Silman99
Freshman User
Thanks petemcl

That gives me some insights and is helpful.
i have the wheel back space parameters fro No Limit frame builder.
My specic question is can I use 10 inch rims and 12 inch wide tire, with no issues? Seems like I can.

i know it’s the craziest question , but what diameter rims do I use with the new modern super frame?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:46 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
i know it’s the craziest question , but what diameter rims do I use with the new modern super frame?
I don't understand what the "super frame" has to do with it, but my wheels from Wheelsmith are 15" on a mostly stock F2 frame. They also provided the SS hub caps and trim rings.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Silman99
Freshman User
Thanks

I only mention the super frame to emphasize that is not a stock 1948 frame.
i kind thought 15 “ rims would be way to go. But wasn’t sure.
Thanks again , you’ve been helpful.
its a step by step process for me!
For example , I can pick my bolt pattern.
Whats best bolt pattern to go with ? Thanks

Old 09-28-2018, 12:24 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I only mention the super frame to emphasize that is not a stock 1948 frame.
i kind thought 15 “ rims would be way to go. But wasn’t sure.
Thanks again , you’ve been helpful.
its a step by step process for me!
For example , I can pick my bolt pattern.
Whats best bolt pattern to go with ? Thanks
Well you are never going to be able to use 10" rims on the front. I added the Speedway disk brake kit which is 5.5" x 5. But the Explorer rear axle is 4.5" x 5 so I have a mixed bolt patterns. But if you are going to mount a spare tire that fits front and rear then you will need the bolt patterns to be the same. The other alternative is to have an adapter that will allow the use of the spare on either pattern. I carry an air pump which with good tires will handle 90% of your tire problems, at least temporarily.

I assume that you are changing the rear axle? So that will dictate what you use. Rex at Wheelsmith was most helpful.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Silman99
Freshman User
More info

Thanks again

Very interesting about spare . Had a Porsche 911 sweetest ride, but there’s nowhere to put flat tire if you get a flat ??? Gotta leave your gal by side of road and put tire in passenger seat.

Ok , I looked at no limit info I’m going to try to post some pics. I was not that focused and knowledgeable related to my front vs rear fit .
no limit has a wide ride feature with the front wheels capable of 11”

i believe the had rear I get is 61 inch, can do 12 wide tires on rear but need tubs.

anyway with this info , yup can just pick/advise bolt pattern that I can match front and rear ?
If that’s not feasible than what’s optimum preferred bolt pattern I should get for front and what’s bolt for back ?
i don’t mind having adaptor for the few times I will use a spare . But would like to avoid.
Thanks if there’s no pics in this message, it’s the system not me.

Its a really tough bad *** frame!

Old 09-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Silman99
Freshman User
Tried 50 times to load photos

Can’t liad photos, one guy said because I have to post a few times ? Well I’ve done that!!!
i load photos upload and ad to reply . And get crap nothing no message no confirmation, no photos
i know it’s not your problem. Just say it related to this site ?
sure would be nice to be able to post photos?
Why would they not let a new member post photos from the freaking get go day one ?
message one ????

Old 09-28-2018, 05:03 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I used 15x10 rear wheels and pretty close to 12 inch tires. They just barely fit between the fenders with the explorer axle. 15x7 in the front.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Silman99
Freshman User
Thanks

Your ride sits nice ! And all in all pretty big tires. Cool

Old 09-29-2018, 05:26 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Silman,
Welcome aboard! I'm confused a bit what you are trying to do but maybe this will help.
We went with an Explorer 8.8 from a salvage yard for the back - this gives you rear disc brakes,
nice 3.73 highway gearing, & a limited slip dif. for certain years. This gives you a car stud pattern 5x4.5
which opens up a ton of wheel options for you. (You will need spacers for the rear to get it to look
right in the opening).

We then mounted a No Limit Wide Ride Front suspension with the same matching 5x4.5 stud pattern.
It was a lot of work and we had a lot of help. Go Slow on picking your tire set up for the front.
We picked slightly too large & it rubbed on the dips & sharp turns.... grrrr… No issues with nice fat tires
in the back. We had to go with some very low profile tires in the front to get it work.

I'll have to go back through my notes to see the wheel/tire sizes that worked.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 09-29-2018, 07:56 AM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as bolt patterns go 5x5.5 is not the easiest to find rim's for.. match the front pattern to whatever rear end you plan to get (your rear end choice is going to be a lot more easy/cheap if you aren't looking at swapping axles or machining them to get them to match the front)
as has been said the front tire width should not be set as wide as you are going in rear to maintain turning radius and reduce steering wear.
The tire company's list specs for the rim they will fit on it is possible to get more than a 12" wide tire on a 10" rim but it depends on the sidewall and application. The contact point will be narrower than the tire unless you have very low sidewalls.
don't forget at least a half inch of space on both sides of the tires width for tire expansion and safety
Just my 2 cents... good luck

Old 10-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Silman99
Freshman User
Very helpful

you have been very helpful !

The simple specific question is ?

i have to specify the lug pattern front and rear to NO LIMIT chassis.
Im not experienced enough related to this 1948 f1. I have been wrenching my whole life.

here it is - iIf you had to select the best overall bolt pattern for a new NO LIMIT chassis- what would a guy who knows totally what he’s doing , want for a bolt pattern?

id like bolt pattern that best “overall”, allows for most rim options etc.
thats the question .

as far as wheel rim fitment. I appreciate all the kind advice from everyone. I was trying to buy rims and tires before getting chassis. I don’t think that’s advisable or a good idea. So I purchased a Summit racing wheel fitment tool / super cool. Reasonable cost.

i will then do my fitment work/measurements, when I have actual chassis and my fenders on.

but , I’d appreciate if someone can tell me what lug pattern is best, and I should tell chassis builder to use on my chassis.

Thanks silman99

Old 10-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Silman99
Freshman User
Help ???

Can anybody? Please tell me :
what bolt part would you select , on a new frame. Whereas you have luxury picking a bolt pattern for the truck (all wheels).
Pretty straight forward .
what the best bolt pattern ?
you know, strong and offers best /most aftermarket rim options?

what would an experienced guy , tell no Limit frame builder.
can anybody advise? Thanks

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Last chance 53
Tuned
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
I would go with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern, thousands of wheels to choose from. I am a big fan of picking the wheels and tire size I want to use and then build rearend to size. Not trying to find a wheel that fits, seeing you are buying a new rearend anyway. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need 1948 ford pu wheel fitment help