2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Field Service Action --18N03

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Not to change the topic on this thread but it might be worth compiling a list of the bigger 'across the board' issues that people have experienced.

1. Electrical connectors becoming corroded.
2. Door latches freezing
3. Tail gate opening on its own.
4. Fuel pump issues
5. Offset cabs
6. Warping dashboards
7. Leaking batteries
8. Corroded wheels on dually's
9. Ford Pass not working
10. Sync 3 upgrade and not remembering the last radio station or audio input setting

What am I missing?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:15 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55
What am I missing?
DW (Death Wobble). I've not experienced this yet. Only issues I had was offset cab and the tailgate, but suspect tailgate was operator error.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to change the topic on this thread but it might be worth compiling a list of the bigger 'across the board' issues that people have experienced.

What am I missing?
Death Wobble has affected enough trucks that you might want to include it.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I believe the Death Wobble...

Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,671 Likes on 2,741 Posts

1. Electrical connectors becoming corroded.
2. Door latches freezing
3. Tail gate opening on its own.
4. Fuel pump issues
5. Offset cabs
6. Warping dashboards
7. Leaking batteries
8. Corroded wheels on dually's
9. Ford Pass not working
10. Sync 3 upgrade and not remembering the last radio station or audio input setting

What am I missing?
11. Broken/leaking moonroof
12. Death Wobble

I've experienced the leaking battery myself. The others, not really. My tailgate may have dropped once on it's own. I greased up all the connectors under the truck and have had zero problems since then. I think a lot of these issues are isolated. We hear about them on the forums because people come here with problems. There are a LOT of owners that probably have no issues. Some of these problems may be regional too. It's so dry here that any connector with water in it will stay wet for a very short period of time. Only Ford can really say how big these issues are across the entire population of Superduty trucks.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Death wobble and leaking moonroof are great. How could I have forgotten the DW? Obviously it hasn't happened to me as of yet as that is supposed to be one scary situation.

Thank you guys.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Guys,

I started the poll on reporting the most popular issues.

Here is the link...you can choose multiple issues if your truck is impacted by more than one of these.

Thanks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uper-duty.html

Old 12-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I just picked my truck up this morning after having the work done. My "local" dealer (Thomasson Ford) is likely the smallest Ford Dealer in the continental US. This was my first experience with them.

I immediately noticed the black _whatever_ showing in the gap between the door handle insert and the door itself. See pics below. Other than that I don't notice anything externally on the truck. You can see a little bit of black silicone just below one of the handles. I was able to wipe if off.

That aside, I really don't understand why technicians don't clean the evidence of their work off the vehicles. I have had the truck at a dealer twice now; once for the fuel tank TSB and now for this. Both times the truck was delivered with dirty hand prints on it. This time also on the interior door panels.

I know its a truck but the truck was freshly washed and detailed when I dropped it off. The truck is kept clean and it should have been obvious to the tech. The truck is more expensive than almost any Lincoln you can buy so why does it not get the same level of attention? The dealer that did the fuel tank TSB isn't a mega dealer but they were large enough to have a separate "truck shop". The driver's door had hand prints on it that I could see from 50 feet away.

It will be interesting to see if I have any more trouble with the door latches. Its raining as I write this.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:12 PM
JackalAR
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wouldn't be bad if it actually fit right...looks like crap IMO. Maybe even on Magnetic. At least it's consistently on the back side of each handle. I think I'd rather clean their mess myself than to get the red shop towel wipe down & buff.

Thanks for posting your experience! How does the rest look? Did you also get the new latch / actuator assemblies?

Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was raining by the time I got home and hasn't stopped yet and is forecast to continue until sometime Saturday morning. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to inspect the work and see what else I can find.

The CSR would only say that they have to take all 4 doors all the way apart and install a kit. As soon as I asked what constituted the "kit" he turned and walked away saying "if you have any trouble with it let me know". Clearly he didn't want to discuss the job any further.

I owned a couple of Aamco Transmission Centers for a year years in the early 2000s. I always made sure my customer's vehicles were cleaned before we returned them. Dirty vehicles leave a very bad impression on customers. For our better customers we would have car's washed at the car wash down the block.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Had my latches replaced yesterday. Was told 1/2 day job. Rented car for that day. Got a call later in the after and was told is was a 2 day job even though parts were confirmed in stock with my name on them at time of drop off. Received truck after nearly 72 hours and $125 in car rental charges.

This morning it is 26 degrees outside and latches work...but they have not been exposed to rain or a truck wash yet...time will tell.

Lots of yellow-ish grease inside the door latch mechanism on all 4 doors. It's easy to see when you hold the door handle in the open/pulled out position.

Truck does smell kinda newish again though. So that's an added bonus.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Just pulled the door panel to replace the factory speakers only to find the back side of the outer door skin soaked. It rained all last night and there is literally water running down the door skin. Not to mention I have duct tape over a couple of the holes in the inner door skin. Pretty sure the factory isn't putting duct tape on the door skins of these new truck.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BGMSPD
Just pulled the door panel to replace the factory speakers only to find the back side of the outer door skin soaked. It rained all last night and there is literally water running down the door skin. Not to mention I have duct tape over a couple of the holes in the inner door skin. Pretty sure the factory isn't putting duct tape on the door skins of these new truck.

Have you had the field service action parts installed or is this still factory latches?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Isn't it normal for some water to get inside the door, from the window seal?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:41 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Had mine done a couple weeks back. The issue has not happened since so I guess it's fixed...... but who knows.

Quick Reply: Field Service Action --18N03