1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paint booth interior paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint booth interior paint

I have a new paint booth that I want to protect the inside walls.
3M has a water soluable that you spray on and when it is time to change you hose it off and spray on a new coat.
Binks has a paint that peels off when it it time to change the coating.
Has anyone had any experience with either of these paints?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:37 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Bill, I have to ask what are you using the booth for, and how much painting will you be doing in it? Unless it's a commercial booth running multiple cars a week through it, you might be overthinking this. I'll admit I've never used either of the products you referenced, but having spent the better part of 25 years in a booth almost daily, a fair amount of that time was with a bucket of soapy water and a long handled brush scrubbing the walls keeping it clean so my jobs turned out nice, and I don't think a hose off 3M product would be something I'd spend a lot of money on. (and if the name starts with 3M, you're going to pay a lot for it) And I'd hate for a peel-off product to peel off at the wrong time. I can only remember a handful of times we repainted the inside of the booth, and we used gloss white epoxy paint. It lasted for years. Unless you're aiming the gun at the walls, you shouldn't have a problem. Today's guns put off a lot less overspray than the old fashioned ones I used, 'back in the day' and the exhaust is pulling the overspray away from the walls. I don't mean to make light of your question, but it's possible you may be overly concerned about nothing. This just comes from my hands on experience, and as they say, your mileage may vary.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:14 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint booth

Thanks for bringing me to my senses on the booth. It has been 40 years since I painted in a booth when I was a shop owner.
I haven't kept up with the technology and at the time I had young painters who might try their spray pattern on the wall.
This booth is powder coated on the inside and should stay clean for a long time.
Thanks,
Bill Bailes