New parking light lenses - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New parking light lenses

Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
New parking light lenses

I found a deal on ebay, new 55 parking light lenses plus gaskets for $20 with free shipping. Being a thrifty PA Dutchman (some say tight) I jumped on it.

Found some rust on the back of my light doors and on the assemblies. Sprayed them with Rust-Oleum rust converter. Sprayed the back of the doors with an off white/almond color, no one sees it anyhow. I painted the light assemblies gloss white to reflect light better. Then I put on the the gaskets and the new clear lenses.

Pictures:
Before

Backs of doors painted

Old and New

After

Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by abe View Post
I found a deal on eBay, new 55 parking light lenses plus gaskets for $20 with free shipping. Being a thrifty PA Dutchman (some say tight) I jumped on it.

I love this light show. Nice work! Some may call it "tight", but I call it thrifty.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
I love this light show. Nice work! Some may call it "tight", but I call it thrifty.
Thanks, Bob. Carpenter sells the lenses for $9.95 each and the gaskets are $5.95 a pair plus you got the $9.95 shipping. So it was a deal.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Good job Abe. That looks great

Old 09-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Those look great. And I would call it "frugal".

Old 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
looks great Abe and a good deal can't beat that
j

Old 09-29-2018, 01:19 AM
52 4x4
Senior User
52 4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.52 4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks nice Abe! Your old gaskets were nearly as bad as on my '52 and I still haven't put on my new ones yet! The lenses for the fender mounted turn signals are hard to find now at a good price, too. I found some of the amber ones for around $2 on eBay, but still would like to find a "deal" on the red ones. My gaskets on those are shot too, but not sure where to find new ones. NAPA used to have the lenses for those, but not anymore! - Bob

Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 AM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 52 4x4 View Post
Looks nice Abe! Your old gaskets were nearly as bad as on my '52 and I still haven't put on my new ones yet! The lenses for the fender mounted turn signals are hard to find now at a good price, too. I found some of the amber ones for around $2 on eBay, but still would like to find a "deal" on the red ones. My gaskets on those are shot too, but not sure where to find new ones. NAPA used to have the lenses for those, but not anymore! - Bob
I called Signal Stat about buying gaskets. They do not have them. He recommended cutting them out of the cardboard on the back of tablets.

I noticed yesterday that water collected in one of the parking lights. I took the lens off and let the water out. I'm not sure how the rain water got in there. There must have been a gap between the gasket and the lens.

If it continues to collect water shall I drill a weep hole in the bottom of the lens?

Old 09-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by abe View Post
I called Signal Stat about buying gaskets. They do not have them. He recommended cutting them out of the cardboard on the back of tablets.

I noticed yesterday that water collected in one of the parking lights. I took the lens off and let the water out. I'm not sure how the rain water got in there. There must have been a gap between the gasket and the lens.

If it continues to collect water shall I drill and all weep hole in the bottom of the lens?
I think I'd try some judiciously applied clear caulk around the inside. Allow to cure before reinstalling.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.

Abe or anyone else, I see in this thread how the park lights are supposed to look. I just bolted everything up last night and my parking lights fit like crap. they are original but thought i'd see if there is a trick to getting them to fit right before I start trying to unbolt everything again.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Hmm, do you have a 55 valance? Is it a 55 grille? Do you have them upside down?

Edit.... They don't look upside down.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.
yes every thing is original as far as I know and and everything is lined up enough to get all the bolts in the correct places so that why i m lost for where its off.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
Those parking lamp frames are 56 only. You'll need to find 55 ones if you want to tighten up the gap

Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100 View Post
Those parking lamp frames are 56 only. You'll need to find 55 ones if you want to tighten up the gap
I thought 53-54 had one style and 55-56 had another style but I could be wrong.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by highdesert55 View Post
I thought 53-54 had one style and 55-56 had another style but I could be wrong.
Hate to say it but this time you are wrong lol
here is a pic of a 55. See how tall it is? Just what you need

The orange lens one is a 56

Clear one is a 55

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.