Evaporator/AC Blower box filling with water - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Evaporator/AC Blower box filling with water

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM
petrokiller
Elder User
petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.

Ok about a month ago my truck was getting water inside cab under glove box. Safelite came out and did water leak test and it failed with my truck facing slightly downhill. Not when it was flat ground. They replaced under warranty.

Now today I move truck to make trash run and hear water sloshing. Then water pours into cab under glovebox through Max AC air intake grill.
So I pulled blower motor and find a pool of water inside. Didn't find any water with my finger closer to evaporator opening inside the whole cover. Vacuum out water and go to Safelite store. They do water test and check cowl drains. Seems its all good. I have not pulled the blower motor again today.

Truck is dripping water with AC running cause I checked today. Couldn't find the actual drain Sous spoke of in my other post. But dripping is more through crack where 2 plastic housing meet at bottom of evaporator box.

Anyone able to explain how water gets in the upper cavity under blower fan squirrel cage?? Leaking windshield?? Evaporator fills up and flows into upper cavity??

Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by petrokiller View Post
Ok about a month ago my truck was getting water inside cab under glove box. Safelite came out and did water leak test and it failed with my truck facing slightly downhill. Not when it was flat ground. They replaced under warranty.

Now today I move truck to make trash run and hear water sloshing. Then water pours into cab under glovebox through Max AC air intake grill.
So I pulled blower motor and find a pool of water inside. Didn't find any water with my finger closer to evaporator opening inside the whole cover. Vacuum out water and go to Safelite store. They do water test and check cowl drains. Seems its all good. I have not pulled the blower motor again today.

Truck is dripping water with AC running cause I checked today. Couldn't find the actual drain Sous spoke of in my other post. But dripping is more through crack where 2 plastic housing meet at bottom of evaporator box.

Anyone able to explain how water gets in the upper cavity under blower fan squirrel cage?? Leaking windshield?? Evaporator fills up and flows into upper cavity??
It is possible for water from the evaporator coil to spill over the edge of the plastic box and come rest under the blower motor in my opinion.

When I first started tearing into the A/C trying to get it to work more efficiently, I could see water Mark's where small puddles had formed in the past under the blower.

I am on my phone, but if you look in a post that has my signature in it, there is a link for 7.3 how to videos. Click on that and find the video on how to clean the evaporator coil.

I would start with that since it only costs a couple of hours and then move forward from there if that doesn't fix the leak.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 PM
petrokiller
Elder User
petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks Sous. I am going to try to find the exact drain tomorrow and blow air or water upstream. How to video is excellent but I am intimidated. Will just have to dive in if the simple attempt doesn't work.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I understand 100%.

As mentioned in the other thread, just use a bright light and you will find the drain.

Good luck and let me know if you decide to clean the coil and have any concerns, it really is quite easy.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 AM
Shovelheadrob
Elder User
Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds familiar

Here's a link to my thread Water in the footwell - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1440601-water-in-the-footwell.html
I made a temporary solution by drilling a hole at the low point to allow the water to escape ........it's still working, my carpets are dry! The evaporator drain is clear & water from there drips when the ac is running, I still haven't worked out how the water gets in, although there must be a route through from the cowl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.