1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine Swap and Finding Headers and In-line Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:40 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine Swap and Finding Headers and In-line Fuel Pump

I am looking for some ideas from those that have traveled down this dusty and winding engine swap road. I am swapping into my 54 F-100 a 1998 Explorer 302 EFI engine. The question is what have you guys (and Gals) done for headers on the GT40-P heads? I have yet to find any headers that say they fit these heads that don't cost an arm and a leg. Will the standard small block Ford headers work by just using 90 deg. boots on some of the plugs or do the pipes have to be modified some how? The other thing I am wanting to do is use my existing fuel tank, plumb in a return line and use a in-line fuel pump. If there was an in-tank fuel pump that would fit in my tank, I would go for that. This appears to be an impossibility, so an in-line fuel pump seems to be the way to go. I have located one in-line pump at Autozone but I am not sure if that one is the correct one to use. I think the system needs about 42 PSI. What have you guys done for your headers and fuel pump requirements? Thank you for any information and ideas that you might have.
Bob

Old 09-24-2018, 08:06 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Header fit with GT40P's is sometimes challenging, but not impossible. There are many headers out there that just plain will not fit GT40P's, but there are some that will. You didn't mention one critical variable - your chassis and suspension setup. If you're keeping the original straight axle setup, then I can tell you that I have personally installed these headers on P heads and they will fit with no issues other than having to run a late model PMGR starter (which your GT40P motor probably already had):

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-...ted,39052.html

They also carry them in full stainless and plain painted steel flavors depending on your budget. Summit Racing handles the same headers under their house brand with the same options:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

Of course, if you've got a different chassis and suspension package, all bets are off. As far as the fuel pump goes, any pump that can deliver at least 155 LPH at 40 PSI should work fine with a stock engine or with fairly tame modifications. Avoid the temptation to go for the biggest one you can get, though. The regulator will dump all that unused fuel back to the tank and the fuel will heat up. The OE fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail should be all you need. Ford did use an inline high pressure pump that would work in this application. It fits '86-'91 trucks. These trucks had a low pressure lift pump in each tank that supplied a high pressure pump on the frame rail.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...fuel+pump,6256

I would suggest either installing it so that it is gravity fed or putting an inexpensive low pressure pump between it and the tank to keep it supplied.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:31 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Great to hear that project is coming along, Bob.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:45 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
rpaxton939,
Most people who use an in-line pump later change it out for an in-tank pump because of the noise. I'm installing a Trick Flow EFI manifold and system on my 427 small block Windsor in my 48 F1. I have a Bronco tank installed behind the Ford 9 inch rear end. I chose and installed one of Aeromotive's Phantom 200 Fuel Systems in the tank. This one:

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/produc...tallation-kit/

This type of system will work in your stock tank. They are pricey but they work and are easy to install once you get over your fear of cutting a 3.25 inch diameter hole in your tank. Here is a picture of mine installed in the tank.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:57 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Thanks for the info and suggestions BlueOvalRage and AZAV8. I think my starter motor will work as is with these headers. I will see how it goes when they arrive. The fuel pump is still in question as to which one to get. I can us my existing low pressure pump between the tank and the high pressure pump. AZAV8, those in-tank pumps you said were a bit spendy was no BS! Looks good though.

Ray,
This project has been fun....most of the time. I just have to get through some of the kinks. The next big thing is to get my 223 and transmission out and maybe someone will want to buy it. I will keep you posted.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:24 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
One consideration on the fuel pump scenario. You said you were using your original tank. Original tank behind the seat? (went back and read again "54 F-100")
I have seen a few on here complain about an in-tank pump being loud and annoying, being behind the seat.
As BlueOvalRage mentioned. Mount the pump inline outside the cab. gravity feed it. keep it down under.
You still retain your original tank, sending unit, ect.
The return line is a small hurdle.
I am watching! Mine is a '96 Explorer 5.0 GT40 heads. No header issues for me!

Old 09-27-2018, 08:18 AM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Hello Jeff,
Thanks for your input on my project.
The tank is under the floor so the pump will be under also. I probably will use a low pressure pump out of the tank before the high pressure pump. I found a Carter pump that looks like it has the volumn and pressure needed. I think the return lines should be pretty easy one I get the tank out which I have done already in the past.
I ordered a header set that stated it will work on GT40-P heads so......... we will see when they arrive. It would have been much easier if the heads were just the GT40 instead of the P ones.