Honest Opinions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Honest Opinions

Old 09-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Race Red F-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Honest Opinions

About a month ago, I came across a Race Red F-250 Lariat that was a model year 2017 hold over. I had been looking for a new pick up but really wanted a SWB F-350, diesel, crew
cab, 4x4, Lariat or platinum, in a light color. The 2017 Race Red checked all the boxes except color and not being a F-350. Upon further inspection, I found out it has the high capacity towing package which gets it pretty close the F-350 towing capability. The price was right so I purchased it.

First couple days was great. Took it on a little road trip to pick up a classic jaguar transmission and it did great. The next few weeks revealed some idiosyncrasies that have me questioning the quality of Ford products. Iíve had F-150ís for work trucks that have been great pick ups and had high hopes for having a Ford as a personal vehicle.

The couple issues Iíve experienced thus far are:

Bed is not aligned to cab.
Tail gate will not open.
After a rain event, message center said trailer was attached (no trailer attached).
After pressure washing at car wash, condensation formed on the inside of headlights.

Iíve pulled one heavy trailer so far and it pulled GREAT! Actually, was hard to tell it was even there.

Very comfortable and roomy. The color and chrome is growing on me.

Hoping to get the truck into the dealer to get things checked. A bit disappointed to be having issues during the first month, but hoping things change.

Share any experiences youíre having or offer up comments on issues I have experienced if you can offer any thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Iíll admit I had high expectations. Iíve owned a couple Toyota Land Cruisers and was considering one in stead of a pick up. Cost would have been a little higher with the TLC but have never been disappointed with those I have purchased new. Kinda wondering if I shouldíve went the TLC route but thought I needed a pick up this time around.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Straightgrain
Junior User
Straightgrain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reality sets in

It is what it is....buyer's remorse.

Work the issues; give the dealer ONE chance to make it right.

Use the "lemon law" if necessary.

Document everything.

Many Oregon laws are down-right stupid; I wish I settled down in Idaho....😁 but the lemon law isn't one of them...we can return a 🍋 under a certain # of miles.

If all else fails, trade the truck in for what you want. Call this an expensive learning experience....like we did with our 2016 Nissan Altima.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 2017 CCSB 6.7 has been flawless. Sorry you have issues but they seem to be minor and easily corrected. Work with your dealer. These trucks are amazing.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 AM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Not so much buyers remorse as surprised of having any issiue at the MSRP level these trucks have. Even with the discount for being 2 model years old these trucks should, IMHO, not be having issues no matter how minor. From what Iíve experienced and read from others here, it seems to me a lack of quality assurance and control on the part of the builder. Other examples I have read, in addition to the issues I have experienced, are:

Tail gate falling on itsí own.
Message center faults:
Chrome plating rusting.
Sunroof leaking.

I donít think the problems I have experienced with the truck quite come to the level of writing it off as a lemon just yet. But definitely annoying and personally think Ford should do a better job of controlling quality of their output if they are going to sell Trucks with MSRP >.$70,000. I just think at that level people as customers deserve better.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:06 AM
208rover
Junior User
208rover is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is not buyers remorse. It appears the OP is not a truck rich/money poor low information type.

I recently completed a buy back with Ford and to their credit, they took care of me with a more than fair deal and got me into a new F350. However, the 2017 F350 6.7 CCSB FX4 Platy that they took back had a host of issues, many of which are documented here on this forum by other owners. Quality control, and more frighteningly, design/engineering seem to be the culprits with the frequency of similar issues reported.

OP, make sure everything is documented and force your dealer to address each issue. Donít settle for ďwe canít replicateĒ or ďthatís normal/typical.Ē I had a new Rover that had water in its headlights...to which the dealer said was ďnormal.Ē I called Rover direct and they agreed to replace the $2500 each units.

Dont be afraid to ask for a buyback if it meets meets your states condition for lemon/buyback. I hope it doesnít get that far and the issues will be resolved. Many of my issues were not resolved and new issues arose in the 14 months of ownership.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:41 AM
bobv60
Posting Guru
bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 208rover View Post
This is not buyers remorse. It appears the OP is not a truck rich/money poor low information type.

I recently completed a buy back with Ford and to their credit, they took care of me with a more than fair deal and got me into a new F350. However, the 2017 F350 6.7 CCSB FX4 Platy that they took back had a host of issues, many of which are documented here on this forum by other owners. Quality control, and more frighteningly, design/engineering seem to be the culprits with the frequency of similar issues reported.

OP, make sure everything is documented and force your dealer to address each issue. Donít settle for ďwe canít replicateĒ or ďthatís normal/typical.Ē I had a new Rover that had water in its headlights...to which the dealer said was ďnormal.Ē I called Rover direct and they agreed to replace the $2500 each units.

Dont be afraid to ask for a buyback if it meets meets your states condition for lemon/buyback. I hope it doesnít get that far and the issues will be resolved. Many of my issues were not resolved and new issues arose in the 14 months of ownership.

actually, moisture in the headlights is covered in the owners manual. A small amount of condensation is normal. If you look in the owners manual it will tell you how much is abnormal.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:04 AM
Smoke ĎEm
New User
Smoke ĎEm is starting off with a positive reputation.
That sucks you’re having some issues. Hopefully the dealer/Ford will get it sorted out. I’ve got a 17 Lariat that I’ve put 36,000 trouble free miles on.

I had a vibrations at 65-75MPH and Ford replaced all my tired at 6,000 miles, which solved the problem(one was out of round). I’ve had good luck with my dealer and with Ford.

What’s the saying, satisfaction is proportional to expectations? First off, and I mean no offense to the Ford diehards, but expecting Land Cruiser level quality is unrealistic. I’ve had Land Cruisers and Lexus LS as daily drivers so I get where you’re coming from. There simply isn’t a comparison. Having said that, I love my F250 and love the diesel engine. Puts a smile on my face every damn time I drive it!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:22 AM
208rover
Junior User
208rover is starting off with a positive reputation.
And donít listen to the Blue Oval Diehards here who have excuses for everything (same as the Cummins and DMax fans). I have no allegiance to any brand other than some European makes as a hobby, but to write off any of these WELL DOCUMENTED issues as normal or ďdonít expect a LexusĒ is asinine.

Having had American trucks of all makes, I am severely disappointed in the initial quality of these alumiduties. The frequency and quantity of trouble topped even my British vehicle quality issues. I hope my 2018 is a good one, as I know many of you here have no issues at all.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 AM
vib8r
Freshman User
vib8r is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am a little disappointed with my truck and the service manager at the dealership I purchased my truck from.
I didn't expect a truck that listed for near $80000 to have the problems I have had with it. I have had a clunking
noise in the front end since new. A mechanic at the dealership went for a drive with me and noted the noise. Now
the service manager says he can not hear the noise and that there is nothing wrong with the truck. They will do nothing
more to fix the problem until the service manager hears the noise. The other problem I had was the tires leaking air. All 4
aluminum wheels would leak and I would have to fill them weekly. I don't mean a little, it was anywhere from 6-14 lbs. The
two inside rear steel wheels did not leak at all. This problem took nearly a year to get fixed.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 AM
bobv60
Posting Guru
bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you search on here there where some 2017s that had problems with water getting into the electrical connectors under the rear of the truck.
I know a new owner shouldn't have to work on their own truck but disconnecting those connectors and looking for moisture in them might speed up a permanent fix.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 AM
gravedgr
Likes to go fast
gravedgr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Serious question for you: if you get these issues resolved, will you be satisfied with the truck?

Some people, after getting frustrated with a certain number of issues, certain types or issues or a length of time to fix them, never get past the frustration at being angry at the vehicle, manufacturer or dealer. I'm one of those people - some things just tick me off, even if minor, and getting past them is really hard. If you're that way too, consider whether is it worth dealing with them or just moving on.

No criticisms here, but sometimes the stress of dealing with things that make you angry never really goes away and its sometimes worth some lost $$ to have peace of mind/happiness. Just my $.02.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:36 AM
VA13FX4
Senior User
VA13FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is my second Ford. I previously had a 13 F150 that had one issue with the touch screen in 4 years. I am at 10 months and 12k miles with my 17 250 and although I absolutely love towing with it, I too am less than impressed with the build quality.

Part of the issue is that this is a first model year. It seems as though it takes a year to get the bugs worked out. I should have known better than to buy this early build truck after owning a new model year Tahoe and CTS that were both plagued with issues. (I did have a first model year Accord years ago that went 115k without a glitch though) The price on this truck is what got me. I told myself the $$$ I was saving would offset any potential issues. Weíll see how long I hold on to that theory.

Another thing you have to consider it that this isnít truly a $80k vehicle. It is a $35k truck with $45k of options added on. Iím not trying to justify the lack of build quality, but the reality is the high dollar trim level trucks roll off the same line with the same attention to detail as the entry level work trucks. I doubt these trucks will ever have comparable build quality to that of a manufacturer that is in the business of only producing high dollar vehicles.

Iíve had mine in the shop for numerous minor things (cup holders, center console trim, rear seat, door keypad, door rattles, rusting tow hooks) and I write most of this off to first model year and/or general Ford lack of quality. The two issues that make me lose confidence in this truckís ability to do its job (tow things for me long distance) are the rear pinion seal leak and the rear differential leak. Both of these developed under 10k miles. Those issues shouldnít be present on any truck, regardless of the MSRP.

I too have a misaligned cab (itís the cab thatís off, not the bed. Thereís threads about it on here) but I havenít had the tailgate/trailer issues yet. Although Iím sure I will eventually since it is a know issue with the rear electrical pigtail on 17s.

One thing is for certain, I need to hurry up and purchase the extended warranty for this thing because Iím surely going to need it.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 AM
VA13FX4
Senior User
VA13FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Serious question for you: if you get these issues resolved, will you be satisfied with the truck?

Some people, after getting frustrated with a certain number of issues, certain types or issues or a length of time to fix them, never get past the frustration at being angry at the vehicle, manufacturer or dealer. I'm one of those people - some things just tick me off, even if minor, and getting past them is really hard. If you're that way too, consider whether is it worth dealing with them or just moving on.

No criticisms here, but sometimes the stress of dealing with things that make you angry never really goes away and its sometimes worth some lost $$ to have peace of mind/happiness. Just my $.02.
That Sir, is an excellent point! Iíve been contemplating trading this 17 in on an identical 19. However Iím not confident enough in Ford that I wouldnít have similar issues in a 19. And unfortunately thereís not another truck on the market Iíd rather have. So for me the solution is buying the extended warranty and crossing my fingers!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post

As mentioned above,donít think the issue rise to a level of lemon-like. Hoping dealer can address and can move on with no further issues. Not disgruntled or holding a long term grudge here, just not what I expected given the good experience with the 2 F-150ís I have had as work vehicles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.