Intake Air rework - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Intake Air rework

Old 09-23-2018, 08:47 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
Intake Air rework

I started reworking my plenum for my intake air on the '90 5.0L motor in my F1. Up til now I had the air filter (K&N) located in the engine compartment, but it looked cumbersome and I felt it would be better fed from in front of the radiator to pick up cooler air. I will post pictures later,

I am looking for feedback of how to filter the intake air; so I will probably fabricate a square/rectangular frame that will hold some sort of filter. I have extended the 3" s/s piping from the intake manifold, with 2 1/2 " piping, which extends in front of the radiator by about 3/4 '.

Any pictures of what other 5.0L engines are runnng for air intake?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
So plan is to remove K&N and fit reduced extension over the 3" to get the piping about 1" in front of the radiator.

I will weld some sort of frame to the end of the 2 1/2" pipe to have a filter located in front of the radiator. I and thinking rectangular to handle the smallest 6" x 8" off the shelf filter or circular and just use furnace or cabin air filter material.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
I don't have anything for ya, but I'm watching!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 AM
KULTULZ
Posting Guru
KULTULZ has a very good reputation on FTE.KULTULZ has a very good reputation on FTE.KULTULZ has a very good reputation on FTE.
You need (IMO) some type of splash shield to prevent water ingestion (@ filter) and insulating the actual intake piping. It will absorb a lot of engine heat.

On cars, the intake/filter was on some applications placed in the wheel opening in front of the front splash shield for cold clean air ingestion. Also check out TURBO air intake tubing for ideas.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 AM
tip49
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
You need (IMO) some type of splash shield to prevent water ingestion (@ filter) and insulating the actual intake piping. It will absorb a lot of engine heat.

On cars, the intake/filter was on some applications placed in the wheel opening in front of the front splash shield for cold clean air ingestion. Also check out TURBO air intake tubing for ideas.
The stock vehicle had the filter located at the front of the engine bay, but no insulation, Thanks for the input, and I will think about a heat shield.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
Sanded and painted the reducing pipe to the front of the engine bay.

Thinking of using this, if I have room, over the "perforated rattle can cap I made to filter air.:

https://www.jbugs.com/product/8674.html

May have to modify slightly but it would be the only chrome so far on the truck. I'm slippping.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Tom
was your truck originally equipped with the Magic-Aire? The fresh air intake the picked up air above the passenger side headlight and ducted into the passenger side of the cab?
Never mind, I see that your intake ducting is on the driver's side.

I like where you are going. I think it shouldn't be too hard to fab a housing for a rectangular style filter element. You could probably fab it up where you just slid the element in and out through the edge of the thing for easy replacement.

I cant wait to see what you end up with. You better be careful, chrome is contagious. The next thing you know you'll have shiny bits everywhere

Bobby

Old 09-25-2018, 06:51 PM
KULTULZ
Posting Guru
KULTULZ has a very good reputation on FTE.KULTULZ has a very good reputation on FTE.KULTULZ has a very good reputation on FTE.
I was thinking of something more in this example-

Just concentrate on the filter box. See how it isolates the filter element from engine hot air? It is @ the core support so fresh air from the grille should flow into it or you can fashion a vent/duct- You can also add a seal to the top of the box to further seal it against the hood when closed.

By insulating, I mean actual insulation (like HVAC pipe insulation) as that metal inlet tube will get hot and not allow a cool fresh air draw.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
Tom
was your truck originally equipped with the Magic-Aire? The fresh air intake the picked up air above the passenger side headlight and ducted into the passenger side of the cab?
Never mind, I see that your intake ducting is on the driver's side.

I like where you are going. I think it shouldn't be too hard to fab a housing for a rectangular style filter element. You could probably fab it up where you just slid the element in and out through the edge of the thing for easy replacement.

I cant wait to see what you end up with. You better be careful, chrome is contagious. The next thing you know you'll have shiny bits everywhere

Bobby
Bobby,
I have avoided the shiny bits up until now but ....
I considered framing up a bracket to hold a filter, think mini furnace filter, but if I can get something off the shelf for $ 20.00 then I'm all over it. I did so want to use the paint can lid but I'll find a nother use for it. I even put a bit of foam inside for filtration.

Will you get some time on the "monster"build this Winter? I have been working in the '59 Beetle to get it ready for possible sale.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Tom,
My truck time has been put on hold for a bit. Domestic chores have interfered. I have the front bathroom torn down to the studs right now for a complete makeover. Between that and helping my Dad on the weekends it doesn't leave much time for truck stuff.
I will have to make a little time to reseal the steering box in the 49 before it gets cold, and then.......

Bobby

Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
Tom,
My truck time has been put on hold for a bit. Domestic chores have interfered. I have the front bathroom torn down to the studs right now for a complete makeover. Between that and helping my Dad on the weekends it doesn't leave much time for truck stuff.
I will have to make a little time to reseal the steering box in the 49 before it gets cold, and then.......

Bobby
I hear that Bobby, what with helping my brother move, re-flooring my sisters trailer, and wife's health issues, there doesn't seem to be much time for fiddling on projects. I an currently fixated on starting a mid 50' Beetle project. Still have the '59 but would like to do a slightly modified Beetle. Stay air cooled but with more cc's.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Tom,
Sounds like it could be a fun project.
I do a lot of work on my project in my head....one of these days I'll just have make some time and get in the garage and put my hands to use.

Keep us posted on the air intake project. Im anxious to see how it all comes out

Bobby

Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
Got the extension tubing done for the intake air; still debating on best filtering solution. For now I have foam filter inside the front of the piping, and temporaily capped..

I will weld a tab on the front to bolt the tubing to the rad support. I may try to gain some slack in the wire loom , to have it below the tubing for asthetics.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
It looks like it tucks in there pretty good

Bobby

Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Have you had it out to see how it runs..? Was wondering if the size is a little restrictive..?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.