Vibration has developed, help me diagnose, long post - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Vibration has developed, help me diagnose, long post

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM
makemeknowit
Junior User
makemeknowit is starting off with a positive reputation.

Sat June 9th-Bought 4 Bridgestone Deuler Revo AT3 265/70/17's for my '00 F250 CCSB 4X4, 191K, no lift, truck is stock height, new Bilsteins, Truck has '11 factory 17's on it, shop is maybe 3 miles from my house, didn't notice any vibration but this is surface streets and low speed.

Sun June 10th- put all new Spicer joints in the rear driveshaft. Front shaft is out of the truck since I have 4.56's in rear and 3.73's in front, couldn't afford to reg-ear both ends at once and needed the gearing to better pull my gooseneck (V10 truck, not PSD) Joints move freely, no binding whatsoever.

June 11th-on the way to work I detect a slight vibration, you can sense it around 30 mph but at 46 mph it's like flipping a switch and it intensifies. I go to a different shop that does road force balancing, point of purchase only does spin. Vibration does not go away.

I start to think maybe I put the two pc shaft back together 180* out even though I marked it before changing joints. Rotate it, vibe still there, put it back the way it was, no change.

Call a friend who works for Fleetpride, he is "the man" for all things driveshaft in town. He takes the shaft to work with him, throws a new hanger brg on it and puts it in the balancer....all is well balance wise. Put it back in the truck, vibe still there.

I have another shop owner I know test drive it with me in the passenger seat. We hop on the interstate, he wants to see if you can "drive out of it". Vibration hits maximum intensity at 76 mph, all but vanishes at 80 mph.

Get front re-geared and pull rear shaft and drive around on front only, vibration still there.

Sept 21st-after calling Bridgestone customer service because I'm still thinking it is a tire issue they send me to a Firestone car care location. Point of purchase is an independent and they had washed their hands of me as I had been back to them 3 times, I informed customer service of this. I stood there with the Firestone tech while he did another road force balance. If you are familiar with road force balancing there is a scale. If the tire goes over 40 on the scale and they can't correct by repositioning on the rim then supposedly there is either a tire issue or a rim issue. I had one tire that scaled 38. The tech broke the tire from the bead, rotated it 180* and reseated. It came down to 12 on the scale. The other 3 ranged from 5-18 on the scale.

Sept 22nd-borrow a set of take offs from a '02 F250, vibration still there.

I walk around the truck after every drive shooting the hubs (and everything else) with the infrared, no wild #'s and no crazy differences side to side or end to end.

I've been chasing this for 3 months and don't know what else to do. I'm going to put new ball joints in and a new steering box because it needs both, but neither of those, in my mind anyway, would be the culprit. The steering box has all its adjustment exhausted and there is still play/wandering and the ball joints are showing early signs of needing replacing , but nothing extreme.

I'm about ready to kill it with fire at this point.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 AM
seville009
Posting Guru
seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Throw a second set of tires on to see if the problem goes away, even if you have to borrow some for the test.

I have two year old General Grabbers that all four went out of balance while stored during the winter. One was replaced, and the others just canít be fully balanced for some reason.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:12 AM
makemeknowit
Junior User
Originally Posted by makemeknowit View Post
Sept 22nd-borrow a set of take offs from a '02 F250, vibration still there.
Already did

Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 AM
seville009
Posting Guru
seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by makemeknowit View Post
Already did
Whoops....didnít catch that

Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 AM
02TB250
Posting Guru
02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.
What sort of vibration? I had a similar issue that ended up being a combination of tires being unbalanced even though several shops said they were and the calipers hanging up. I replaced the calipers and lines and had the tires roadforce balanced and it fixed it completely.

I'm going to say that if you've had everything roadforce balanced the tires are probably not the issue.

you said you have 2011 wheels. Are you running the 2 inch spacers? When you switched back to the factory wheels did you remove those?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 AM
seville009
Posting Guru
One more thought......make sure your front hubs are not locked. Possible that with the front driveshaft removed and hubs locked that you might get an abnormal vibration.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:49 AM
makemeknowit
Junior User
Spacers yes, did not remove them when putting the '02 take offs on.

I have had it in the air and the tires turn freely, no dragging caliper.

Hubs are not locked.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 AM
Sir Kayakalot
Senior User
Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Where do you feel the vibration most? Steering wheel, seat, brake pedal?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 AM
makemeknowit
Junior User
In the seat

Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Sir Kayakalot
Senior User
Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Can you remove the spacers on the rear and test drive it with just the wheels and tires to eliminate a problem with the spacers?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 AM
makemeknowit
Junior User
I only have spacers on the front to clear the calipers with the '11 rims. They have been on the truck for 4 years, they aren't the problem.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 AM
makemeknowit
Junior User
I thought maybe rear axle brgs but again, I can shoot both sides with the IR and get a reading of 115* on both even after 50+ miles of driving. That isn't excessive and you feel no manner of brg silliness if you jack the rear and spin the tires by hand.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 AM
seville009
Posting Guru
Can you put the front driveshaft back on,, but just not engage it, just to see if not having it in place is causing an issue?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 AM
makemeknowit
Junior User
This surfaced while the front shaft was out due to mismatched gears front and rear. I had the front re-geared a week and a half ago.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
seville009
Posting Guru
Your only choice is a new truck I guess......just scrounge up about $80,000.........

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.