6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Top Tier Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Top Tier Diesel Fuel

I have been saying for years that low quality US diesel needs additives for various reasons and often get a response "today's trucks are made to run on this fuel". I knew that was not true, or at least not optimal as US diesel often does not meet the minimum standards suggested by the Engine Manufacturers Assoc. Now there is a push by auto manufactures for Top Tier diesel fuel in addition to Top Tier gasoline.

https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/top-tier-diesel-standard-to-improve-operability-and-longevity-of-diesel-engines/

I found another article that indicates Top Tier diesel will be available on a by station basis due to availability in various markets

https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels-n...-diesel-debuts

Old 09-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would pay the extra few cents a gallon. I always throw PM-22 in my tank it's a PIA and I am not a fan of driving to empty. Actually, given the cost of the PM-22 it may wind up being cheaper for the better fuel. There is a pretty big logistical issue though, for stations that only have 1 diesel tank providing 2 grades of diesel fuel will be an issue.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
I don't think you will need to worry about only one diesel tank. This is not "premium" diesel where you have a choice. I believe it is like the gasoline; it is either Top Tier or it isn't. For example; all grades of gasoline at an Exxon or Mobil station are Top Tier whether you pump 87, 89 or 91/93 octane. If the diesel pump is labeled Top Tier, that is all there is. However, just because it is an Exxon station doesn't mean the diesel fuel is Top Tier since the diesel supplier may not have it available. And "premium" diesel may not meet Top Tier requirements as Top Tier requires special filters and a water removal system.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,622 Likes on 2,730 Posts
I've been watching the Top Tier webs site for diesel stations I can use. The closest one is across the continental divide. Not going to happen.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,322 Likes on 4,589 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
I have been saying for years that low quality US diesel needs additives for various reasons and often get a response "today's trucks are made to run on this fuel". I knew that was not true as US diesel often does not meet the minimum standards suggested by the Engine Manufacturers Assoc. Now there is a push by auto manufactures for Top Tier diesel fuel in addition to Top Tier gasoline.

https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/top-tier-diesel-standard-to-improve-operability-and-longevity-of-diesel-engines/

I found another article that indicates Top Tier diesel will be available on a by station basis due to availability in various markets

https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels-n...-diesel-debuts

Thanks for posting up, Ski. Since the link won't let me copy and paste a section, I'll have to write it myself. For the same reasons I use my additive, I'm currently at just under 32k miles and running like a beast, the 4 main criteria which seperate Top Tier diesel from the general quality requirements of diesel/biodiesel in the USA:

1) reduction of injector deposits though the use of a detergent additive package;

2) increased lubricity to reduce component failure;

3) a reduction in water and particulate contamination;

4) improved fuel stability.

The improvements are to made with the use FUEL ADDITIVES and filtration requirements.

So apparently guys like me are not the only ones who do not trust the quality of ULSD. I just don't understand the concept of how buying it from a station that sells a lot of it will guarantee the quality of fuel without testing it or without looking at it in a clear container. I'm just not the type to go under the truck every tank, every week or every month to drain the valve of the DFCM. If the diesel fuel is so good here in the US, why would Ford put a drain at the bottom of the lift pump? Why would they make additives? Why would anyone make additives?

Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Additives are manufactured/ sold because some folks feel the need, much like rid-x.
I don't use additives in my diesel (or sewer).

Old 09-22-2018, 08:05 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Exxon Mobil Diesel Efficient is probably already Top Tier diesel. It's currently being phased in. I've been running it for ~ 1 month now and noticed reduced regen frequency.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Army RET
Additives are manufactured/ sold because some folks feel the need, much like rid-x.
I don't use additives in my diesel (or sewer).
I understand no additives in the sewer because it is not needed. But when the engine manufacturers say the fuel needs improvement, why ignore it>

Old 09-22-2018, 08:59 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Troy Buenger;18209429]Exxon Mobil Diesel Efficient is probably already Top Tier diesel. It's currently being phased in. I've been running it for ~ 1 month now and noticed reduced regen frequency.
/QUOTE]
Exxon/Mobil is not yet listed on the Top Tier diesel site, but they are for gas. And while they may be selling Synergy diesel somewhere, it is supplied by Irving Oil here in Vermont and the delivery driver said there is no difference and no additives for Mobil. I watched the 3 clips where they tout the name Synergy, but don't say what is different other than user testimonials. I am jot disputing anything, but want to know more and where it is sold, because it is not here in Vermont. As of now, Synergy diesel is neither certified Top Tier, nor is it sold universally.
Someone said if additives make it better, wouldn't producers already be putting it in their diesel. Clearly, not for years and not yet. Is there any value, clearly yes if the testimonials are to be believed.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
From the Synergy web site:
What is Synergy Diesel Efficient fuel, and how does it differ from regular diesel?

Synergy Diesel Efficient diesel fuel was developed in the same laboratories as our racing fuels. It has been engineered to improve fuel economy (2% on average*), boost engine performance, reduce maintenance and provide cleaner emissions.

*Fuel economy improvement is based on Synergy Diesel Efficient compared to unbranded diesel fuel without detergent additive. Vehicle testing showed an average fuel economy improvement of 2 percent. Actual benefits will vary depending on factors such as vehicle/engine type, driving style and diesel fuel previously used.

Just for the record, I am a fan of Mobil Top Tier gasoline as my 2011 F150 Ecoboost got better mileage with it. So I am excited about better diesel fuels finally being developed.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
I understand no additives in the sewer because it is not needed. But when the engine manufacturers say the fuel needs improvement, why ignore it>
Do they REQUIRE additives or simply imply additives may be beneficial?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,622 Likes on 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I just don't understand the concept of how buying it from a station that sells a lot of it will guarantee the quality of fuel without testing it or without looking at it in a clear container.
I think the general consensus is that buying from a high volume station is a way to prevent water and algae problems. High volume doesn't imply anything in quality criteria.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:08 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Army RET
Do they REQUIRE additives or simply imply additives may be beneficial?
LOL! I gotcha! The secret to a happy marriage is to lower your standards.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
LOL! I gotcha! The secret to a happy marriage is to lower your standards.
Get an ugly girl to marry you ...

Old 09-23-2018, 07:35 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I've been watching the Top Tier webs site for diesel stations I can use. The closest one is across the continental divide. Not going to happen.
So far, only Costco and Fast Stop are the only Top Tier licensed brands and that is on a by station basis. Costco says all new diesel fuel installations will be top tier.

Quick Reply: Top Tier Diesel Fuel