The ole suspension lift question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:13 AM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ole suspension lift question

hey guys, new to the forum. First post.

I have been searching and researching excursion lifts and cannot find any recent posts that may include more out-to-date companies or technologies. My excursion’s suspension is shot, including the leaf springs, so I need a new 6” or so lift to fit my 35x12.5x20 tires that also includes or could incorporate new leaf springs.

I have thought about leaf lifts like the Skyjacker soft ride 6” all leaf lift, or the Icon 5” leaf lift. Also have explored the V code leafs up front with B code leafs in the back complimented with an Icon 3” hangar kit.

What do I do? What have y’all done? All input welcome! Thanks in advance ✌️

Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Welcome to the EX forum!

To fit 35"s under an EX 4" will do, Mine with modded X codes up front is only 3 7/8" over stock and fits my 35.28" Nittos just fine.
What engine and gearing does the big wagon have? Do you, or will you be doing any significant towing with it?

Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by lhwalker22
hey guys, new to the forum. First post.

I have been searching and researching excursion lifts and cannot find any recent posts that may include more out-to-date companies or technologies.

welcome to FTE.

Leaf springs are leaf springs, get the spring rate correct and they are all the same. The magic to a leaf spring setup is all in the shocks. “Soft ride” is a dumb marketing name by a company notorious for selling grossly too high spring rates and trying to convince the public they now understand suspension design. FWIW the common V-B mod setup isn’t the best/correct spring rate, it works but it is a old junk yard solution that many people copy cat rather then get a more ideal spring rate.

For the latest is suspension design try solo motorsports rear link setup.
https://www.solomotorsports.com/shop/suspension-kits/ford/bronco-f150/4-link-rear-suspension-kit-bronco/

My opinion but the best 4 link conversion for the front is Full traction.

https://full-traction.com/collection...s-part-fts7852

or you could get a 05-08 dana 60 axle and assemble your own front link setup.
2005-2007 F-250/350

probably the best shock tunner making an off the self shock package for the Excursion is Carli.
https://www.carlisuspension.com/prod...system-00.html

King Off-Road Racing Shocks: Coil Overs, Bypass, OEM, UTV, Air Shocks, Bump Stops, Springs, Replacment Parts, Tools, Springs « King Off-Road Racing Shocks : kingshocks.com

If you settle on the Kings I’d buy them for carli for his tune unless you have access to a shock tune guy. You can buy them off the self and do it yourself or run them as is which is still better then anything else.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

What do I do?

What have y’all done?
1. What do you want to accomplish by changing the suspension and what is your budget ?
Just clearing a larger tire is easy, improving the suspension setup is more involved. Be specific in your goals and we can advise accordingly.

2. Many diffrent Leaf spring setups, 1/4 elliptical , coilover, bypass , 4 link conversions, 4 link fabrication, secondary torsion bar setups, air bumps, you names ive probably done it.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 AM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Welcome to the EX forum!

To fit 35"s under an EX 4" will do, Mine with modded X codes up front is only 3 7/8" over stock and fits my 35.28" Nittos just fine.
What engine and gearing does the big wagon have? Do you, or will you be doing any significant towing with it?
Thabks for the reply!

I have the 6.0 diesel with the 3.73 gears, I believe.
Will not be doing much towing. This is my “Dad-Mobile”. Family is growing and I wanted a huge, manly SUV. Absolutely love it. Currently, it is lifted about 6” in the back, and about 4” in the front. The current suspension still has the original leafs I believe and it rides like a brick. Big bumps shoot everyone I to the roof etc. I have rancho shocks, and towing air bags in the back that I never use.

Since I need new leafs, I want a clean sheet redo on the suspension. I am NOT mechanically inclined and I am not able to throw $6,000 at this. So I need a reasonably priced solution that will ride comfortably for the family. That’s it. Moving people comfortably. Oh, with no sag when loaded!

Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 AM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

1. What do you want to accomplish by changing the suspension and what is your budget ?
Just clearing a larger tire is easy, improving the suspension setup is more involved. Be specific in your goals and we can advise accordingly.

2. Many diffrent Leaf spring setups, 1/4 elliptical , coilover, bypass , 4 link conversions, 4 link fabrication, secondary torsion bar setups, air bumps, you names ive probably done it.
Pirate, thanks for the info!

I am looking to make this a comfortable ride for the family. That is it. I would like to stay around $4,000.
4 Wheel Parts said they could do the Skyjacker 6” all leaf lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks, and the ProComp dual steering stabilizer with Fox shocks in the stabilizer. All for $4,000.

Again, I KNOW there are some much better options and much more custom ways to go, but I do not have the $6000-$10,000 it would take to do that.

You did mention getting the proper leaf ratio. What is the proper leaf ratio? Once I know that I am content visiting my local shop that makes custom leafs and then doing a block lift with those custom leafs. Again, this will not be the BEST option, but maybe it is the best option for me who is on a budget...?

Old 09-22-2018, 12:03 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
If you are already at the ride height you desire then why buy springs at all, just fix anything that so out of sorts and install a set of shocks that will give you the ride you want.

35” tires should not require a dual steering stabilizer on a family hauler. Buy it if you think it looks cool but your money is best spent else where.

So rather then dreaming about what company’s have the most current technology maybe we should start with what you have now, getting it to ride nice is likely as simple as diffrent shocks and replacing a few simple worn parts.

some pics of the front and rear leaf spring, blocks, bump stops and shocks will help. Also some measurments.
measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender lip at all 4 corners and post the measurments.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 PM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
If you are already at the ride height you desire then why buy springs at all, just fix anything that so out of sorts and install a set of shocks that will give you the ride you want.

35” tires should not require a dual steering stabilizer on a family hauler. Buy it if you think it looks cool but your money is best spent else where.

So rather then dreaming about what company’s have the most current technology maybe we should start with what you have now, getting it to ride nice is likely as simple as diffrent shocks and replacing a few simple worn parts.

some pics of the front and rear leaf spring, blocks, bump stops and shocks will help. Also some measurments.
measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender lip at all 4 corners and post the measurments.
The reason for new leaf springs is because mine are completely flat. And the original Excursion leafs were so soft the truck rocks and rolls like a lumbering boat. Plus, the back left tow assist leaf is broken.

The back has stacked blocks right now. Not safe.
Pictures forthcoming.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:51 PM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
Front measurement is 25 3/4 inches.
Back measurement is 28 inches.
Front right tire rubs bad when turning past about 75% of steering wheel rotation, so I want more height up there.

Front left photo 1

Front left photo 2

Front left photo 3

Front right photo 1

Front right photo 2

Back left photo 1

Back left photo 2

Back right photo 1

Back right photo 2

Back right photo 3
​​​​​​

Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 PM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
Also, I want the truck to sit level.
Pictures are waiting on moderator approval..

Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

You did mention getting the proper leaf ratio. What is the proper leaf ratio?
The factory Spring Rate is :
Front 380 lbs inch
Rear 410 lbs inch

Old 09-22-2018, 01:07 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

The reason for new leaf springs is because mine are completely flat. And the original Excursion leafs were so soft the truck rocks and rolls like a lumbering boat. Plus, the back left tow assist leaf is broken.

The back has stacked blocks right now. Not safe.
Pictures forthcoming.
1. They are designed to be flat at curb weight.
2. contrary to internet lore the stock springs are not soft, they are the exact spring rate I posted above. Like all springs they do sag over time and in the front of the Ex this is a issue do to its limited travel.
3. The springs are not the cause of your Ex lumbering like a boat, that is a symptom of worn out shocks, ( along with your other comment about hitting the roof over bumps )
4. The rear “tow assist” is actually a anti-wrap bar and the “broken” part is likely the rubber snubber which is a easy and cheap part that needs to be replaced every 10 years or so. It’s a common issue
5. I am not a fan of stacked blocks but if your ubolts are correctly torqued they are perfectly safe. For $100 bucks you can replace the rear block with a single block of the correct height and at the same time level the vehicle.

getting the measurments I asked for will help.

in the mean time here is the block I speak of
Ford F-250/350 Fabricated Lift Blocks

Old 09-22-2018, 01:21 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
I am not trying to talk you out of new springs but it would be wise to identify your current issues and goals before just buying what the salesman is trying to push.

in fact I am a fan of the procomp 5.5 inch rear spring with no block and 2” front spring combo paired with shocks that suit your desired ride quality.

Edit
the procomp 22210 Front 22415 rear combo with no block nets a 25” and 26” ride height or “2” lift”

Stock excursion ride height was 23” front 24” rear.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 PM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
Ok. Thank you.
The measurements for both backs is 28”.
The measurements for both fronts is 25 3/4”.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:37 PM
lhwalker22
Freshman User
I am not trying to talk you out of new springs but it would be wise to identify your current issues and goals before just buying what the salesman is trying to push.

in fact I am a fan of the procomp 5.5 inch rear spring with no block and 2” front spring combo paired with shocks that suit your desired ride quality.

Stock excursion ride height was 23” front 24” rear.
Pirate, this ProComp solution sounds easy and 4 Wheel Parts could do it easily. ProComp does not offer a rear leaf lift for the Excursion, so which ProComp lift would you recommend? The 6” package, with Bilstein shocks?

Im serious, an easy, half way decent solution is fine with me. Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply: The ole suspension lift question